Cleveland Indians announce their new name: Cleveland Guardians

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

its too passive.  Like "defenders" or something.  More appropriate to a sport where defense is played, like soccer or hockey.

It also has no relation to Cleveland or to that sport.  And not catchy. 

Maybe it was the only thing left that hadnt been claimed by trademark squatters.

defense isn’t played in baseball? Good god man. And the connection to the city is clear. Read the thread.

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

The name is clearly a nod to the giant guardian statues everyone sees flanking the highway as you enter Cleveland.

Here’s a picture if you’re interested at all in learning something. These art deco statues on the Hope Memorial Bridge are the inspiration for the name and logo.

8A364755-BFDA-4794-8AF6-4CD80E1CBA37.jpeg

Thanks for that. 
Still lame. 
Guardians of traffic. 

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Thanks for that. 
Still lame. 
Guardians of traffic. 

That’s fine - plenty of Clevelanders aren’t particularly hot on the new name either. 

As for the “of traffic” part - it makes more sense if you remember these things are carved into a bridge.

11 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Still Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to me.

Lol. Why stop there? Why not use that big galaxy brain of yours and conjure up an entire alternate reality to live in. You’d never have to worry about concepts like “change” and “facts” ever again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Still Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to me.

Not my team! 😉😜

13 minutes ago, snafu said:

Thanks for that. 
Still lame. 
Guardians of traffic. 

Yeah.  Same bridge that goes over river that caught on caught on fire, yes water can catch on fire, 30 years after statures were erected.   ...

...I guess the "Guardians of Traffic" were too busy watching the moonlanding back in 1969. 😏

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Can it really even be debated that the old red-faced logo was offensive? A caricature left over from a time and place where that was acceptable. I’m honestly surprised it made it this long.

Even the characters name was a slang term for Natives.

I am usually in the “everyone is so easily offended these days” camp, but I do have to agree it is the right thing to do to eliminate this type of imagery from pro sports.

Native Americans were the original marginalized group in this country. You can’t go back and change that, but you can learn and correct things moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, snafu said:

Thanks for that. 
Still lame. 
Guardians of traffic. 

That logo is really lame but they have a lot of potential with the name.  The Romanesque statues are amazing, one of the very few unique stories of Cleveland, and they overlook the stadium.  The marketing people really need to play up the quiet-strength Roman-warrior look in their logo though.  They blew it with a G-eared baseball.  Hopefully they get tuned in before next season and really make it work.

Not a fan of the spiders myself

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

That logo is really lame but they have a lot of potential with the name.  The Romanesque statues are amazing, one of the very few unique stories of Cleveland, and they overlook the stadium.  The marketing people really need to play up the quiet-strength Roman-warrior look in their logo though.  They blew it with a G-eared baseball.  Hopefully they get tuned in before next season and really make it work.

Not a fan of the spiders myself

Everything up until the Spiders.  I kinda like it.  Different,  yet basic.

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come to think of it, are there any insect named teams?

I'm fairly certain certain there is a minor league team in Sugarland Texas named the Skeeters.

Edit for clarity: A minor league baseball team.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.