Gabe Davis, rising star and generally Good Guy

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Coaches/scouts already see the players in pads and how they run routes at college games and on film.

The combine is all about gathering data on straight up athleticism. It's an entirely different set of raw metrics. They're trying to combine all different factors to gain a complete picture of the player during the whole scouting process. If the combine was in pads, it would be redundant.

It’s an interesting point, but there’s also the point that the press and the public assess player speed by “underwear olympics” time, and I think the intended point is just that may be misleading as far as playing speed

Does anyone know if college players now wear GPS tracking like the pros do?  Because if so, there’s already a different set of objective metrics on all these guys

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s an interesting point, but there’s also the point that the press and the public assess player speed by “underwear olympics” time, and I think the intended point is just that may be misleading as far as playing speed

Does anyone know if college players now wear GPS tracking like the pros do?  Because if so, there’s already a different set of objective metrics on all these guys

It's certainly an overblown media show, too. Like the draft.

I bet a lot of college teams do, though I've never heard NFL personnel people mention that.