Gabe Davis, rising star and generally Good Guy

Awesome OP.  I agree he is the replacement for John Brown as he showed much better ability on the outside than slot.  I do need to see improvement in separation before i book him for 1000 yards and 10 TDs.  However, I also feel confident that over his rookie contract he will improve his breaks and ultimately separation as he has shown to be a tremendous worker.  Really like rooting for this guy and excited for him to be a Bill for a long time.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's clearly not as fast as Brown - 0.2 slower - but he seems to make up some of the difference with a more physical release.

And he sure can shoestring the sideline.

I think 40 time is a gauge, but sometimes doesn’t accurately describe speed.  The difference between a decent and great start can be .1-.2seconds.  In live play, DBs don’t really start until the WR starts and then the race is down to how fast do you really run instead of who gets out of the blocks faster.

Inverse seems to be true for pass rushers where quick start over OL is probably more an advantage than pure speed.

Just my $.02 worth…

• Like (+1) 1

If you are into pigeonholing within positional groups Gabe sort of falls between 2 chairs. Not a classic outside guy and not a typical over the middle underneath type guy (though thats where he thinks the majority of his targets going forward will be). 

I’m not into pigeonholing. I just think he’s versatile and a very useful piece for Allen and Dabol. I’m liking this receiver group a lot. Sure hope Beas gets his head straight. He’s a hell of a football player.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wanted to put up something positive

Gabe Davis posted something truly inspirational about his camp on Instagram:

image.thumb.png.7a54bc20db30bc9bb306593debab28b7.png

Best of luck in the upcoming season, Gabe!  Go Get Em, Dawg

The Emmanuel Sanders signing was kind of surprising to me. I understand they need a guy to take the “top off” of the defense, but I thought the John Brown release was because of the rising star of Gabe Davis. I still think he has a better statistical year than Sanders. I think the two 1000+ yard receivers will be him and Diggs. 

13 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If you are into pigeonholing within positional groups Gabe sort of falls between 2 chairs. Not a classic outside guy and not a typical over the middle underneath type guy (though thats where he thinks the majority of his targets going forward will be). 

I’m not into pigeonholing. I just think he’s versatile and a very useful piece for Allen and Dabol. I’m liking this receiver group a lot. Sure hope Beas gets his head straight. He’s a hell of a football player.

I think he is definitely an outside guy and a prototypical #2. I think he proved that against Indy in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Speed kills but if you can be good on the back shoulder plays that's as much a killer in man coverage as speed.  Buffalo's money plays seem to be in that 15-25 yard range (even with allen improving on deep throws beyond 25 yards).  

This makes our team so fun. 3rd and 14? Yeah we can pull that off. JA and this team is such a breath of fresh air compared to the days of a Shaud Williams draw that would get 7 on 3rd and 9.

14 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Emmanuel Sanders signing was kind of surprising to me. I understand they need a guy to take the “top off” of the defense, but I thought the John Brown release was because of the rising star of Gabe Davis. I still think he has a better statistical year than Sanders. I think the two 1000+ yard receivers will be him and Diggs. 

I think he is definitely an outside guy and a prototypical #2. I think he proved that against Indy in the playoffs. 

I think he can definitely play outside - he’s not slow, he has strong hands, he has at all times excellent spatial awareness, uses his size well to block out the DB, etc… Thing is he can play underneath too and I fully expect the OC to have him running slants, curls and comebacks (something he does well intuitively) as well as the deeper routes. His versatility adds greatly to his value. 

Right now I think Sanders is a much better receiver all round IMO. But Gabe is just getting started.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I think he can definitely play outside - he’s not slow, he has strong hands, he has at all times excellent spatial awareness, uses his size well to block out the DB, etc… Thing is he can play underneath too and I fully expect the OC to have him running slants, curls and comebacks (something he does well intuitively) as well as the deeper routes. His versatility adds greatly to his value. 

The Bills FO & coaching staff seem to value versatility above all else. I agree that Davis could play inside also. In the event of a Diggs injury possibly even #1 in a year or 2 if he keeps progressing. Great size, good route running, strong hands, and toe dragging. He’s some one I’m keeping a close eye on this year.

45 minutes ago, Reader said:

This makes our team so fun. 3rd and 14? Yeah we can pull that off. JA and this team is such a breath of fresh air compared to the days of a Shaud Williams draw that would get 7 on 3rd and 9.

Just a mastery of cornerback leverage on that side is what he needs to do.  Metcalf has tons of speed so you see his highlights, but when you watch him on back shoulder plays he's like unstoppable if he reads the corner right.  Devante parker might be a better example for someone like Davis though.  

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Bills FO & coaching staff seem to value versatility above all else. I agree that Davis could play inside also. In the event of a Diggs injury possibly even #1 in a year or 2 if he keeps progressing. Great size, good route running, strong hands, and toe dragging. He’s some one I’m keeping a close eye on this year.

I’ve also got my eye on ES this year. I think he gives Allen another target almost of the same quality as Diggs, who he resembles a lot IMO. Bills passing attack could be an awesome destructive force if firing on all cylinders with Allen standing there in the gun.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

He was a big time deep threat at UCF.  

Gabe doesn’t have the blazing speed that a healthy John Brown has, but he has the knack for setting people up and beating them down the field.   

And we already know he can win contested throws. 

And he is still developing his get off. There remain efficiencies to be made in his footwork off the line and if he can continue to refine it then he will be even more dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

@BigAl2526 & @TroutDog, Notice, please, your previous comments do not show -Big Al for your post, TD for commenting on it.

There’s a rhythm here. See if you can catch the tune..🎼

Thanks.  What I tried to say was that Gabe Davis' opportunities will be somewhat dependent on the Cole Beasley situation.  If Beasley has the year he's capable of having, Sanders will get more of his game reps on the outside, and that will cut into the opportunities that Gabe Davis gets.  If Beasley retires or ends up getting cut over his anti-vacc./anti-COVID protocol stand, then Sanders will get the lion's share of his game reps in the slot.  In that scenario, Davis could have a huge year.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think he had a big ROOKIE year! With Allen throwing dimes to ‘418’ different receivers, the lanky Rook stole the show with horizontal TD catches, toe drag swag & a TD catch so clever, the damn refs missed it!🤬

Great TD dance shuffle too!

Strange times! Obviously I knew we drafted him, but with no information coming out or preseason games, I had ZERO idea of what we had in him until  the season started and he was on the field. All he did was seem to get better and better. Those sideline catches did NOT look like a rookie! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

I’ve also got my eye on ES this year. I think he gives Allen another target almost of the same quality as Diggs, who he resembles a lot IMO. Bills passing attack could be an awesome destructive force if firing on all cylinders with Allen standing there in the gun.

34 year old Sanders almost the same quality as Diggs!? 

Yeouch. My brain.

I have always loved Sanders but some people have unfair expectations. 

• Agree 2

Nice positive Hap.  Gabe will be a very nice addition.  I’d rather for me not compare to anyone other than himself.  He’s gained JA’s trust so I expect an increase this year in yards.

He will have an increased role.  How can you not love the toe taps to the outside, caught ball low to the ground in the end zone, etc.

Besides the future given age only is a lock for Diggs and Davis.  We can only hope Hodgins asserts himself this year which makes it that much easier to figure out what to do with Beasley and Sanders after this year.  Not a lock these two are gone or they will stay and how long.

Thats why I’m hopeful on Hodgins and maybe even McKenzie shows a little more this year.  Then next year maybe we can work more in our off season on the TE position.

Edited by machine gun kelly

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

34 year old Sanders almost the same quality as Diggs!? 

Yeouch. My brain.

I have always loved Sanders but some people have unfair expectations. 

Diggs being younger has the extra gear and true he’s probably more talented than ES has ever been. He’s #1 and I doubt Sanders beats Jackson for that TD the way Diggs was able to do for example. But they are both outstanding route runners. ES’s footwork is as good as it gets. They both have quickness and good wheels. They are both pretty fearless. They have very good hands. They have a deep understanding of coverages. I think ES may have a big year with Allen throwing him the ball. I think I see why they wanted him. If all goes well, the Bills will have a devastating passing attack this year with Allen pulling the trigger.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just a total sign of the times for the bills in years past Gabe Davis would be considered our savior not the guy that maybe would take over as the number two receiver

Team has come along way I hope Gabe Davis kills it

Heck I'm looking at him as the guy who is competing for #3 or 4 WR

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heck I'm looking at him as the guy who is competing for #3 or 4 WR

We’ve come a long, long way!!!!   But I hope Davis shocks the world this year.  He looks faster, reportedly, so there’s that little chestnut.

• Agree 1