Bruce Smith official and unofficial sack leader

They started officially counting sacks as a statistic in the 80s so there was always a question as to whether someone from the 60s or 70s may have had more. Researchers from Pro Football Reference went through all old game film and while there are some new names near the top e.g. Deacon Jones .. Bruce’s 200 is still tops 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/15/bruce-smith-unofficial-sack-leaders-buffalo-bills/

he was a sight to see

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They started officially counting sacks as a statistic in the 80s so there was always a question as to whether someone from the 60s or 70s may have had more. Researches went through all old game film and while there are some new names near the top e.g. Deacon Jones .. Bruce’s 200 is still tops 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/15/bruce-smith-unofficial-sack-leaders-buffalo-bills/

he was a sight to see

He was, IMO, the best Buffalo Bills player ever. 

I would have let him sit when he wanted a new contract right after his new contract, however. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I would have let him sit when he wanted a new contract right after his new contract, however. 

The quickest Bruce ever tried to use leverage to get a new contract was after two years of a three year contract. (He got a new contract in '97 when he'd signed a three-year deal in '95.) That is hardly "right after" his new contract.

And that three-year deal was three years for $8.3 M. Not $8.3 M per year, but $8.3 over three years. Even at the time he was worth more.

Agreed that he was the best Bills player ever. There are two or thee others in the conversation, but I think he was the best.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They started officially counting sacks as a statistic in the 80s so there was always a question as to whether someone from the 60s or 70s may have had more. Researchers from Pro Football Reference went through all old game film and while there are some new names near the top e.g. Deacon Jones .. Bruce’s 200 is still tops 

he was a sight to see

Dude, awesome find. Thanks for posting it.

Fascinating read. That all time sack leader list has a lot of new names on it. And "Bubba" Baker technically has the record for single season sacks with 23, in his rookie year, no less.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The quickest Bruce ever tried to use leverage to get a new contract was after two years of a three year contract. (He got a new contract in '97 when he'd signed a three-year deal in '95.) That is hardly "right after" his new contract.

And that three-year deal was three years for $8.3 M. Not $8.3 M per year, but $8.3 over three years. Even at the time he was worth more.

Agreed that he was the best Bills player ever. There are two or thee others in the conversation, but I think he was the best.

Bruce on defense. OJ on offense. Talent wise best players in Bills history. Both are in the conversation for best ever at their position.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

he was a sight to see

Decided to listen to article since was option.  Advertisement for Patriot Payroll was a bad choice.

I remember hearing a quarterback from another team back in the day complaining about how hard it was to play against Bruce, but he said what was worse was Bruce would eat raw garlic before the game and if he got to the quarterback he would lay on him an extra few seconds and just breathe his garlic breath into the quarterback's facemask. The guy was more worried about that then actually getting hit. I can't source it as it was 20+ years ago .. but I always thought that it made Bruce Smith a psychological warfare expert :)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't sign the contract then.

And about another former Bills player, don't accept a pay advance borrowing from the next season, then act outraged when that next season has a lower salary.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I remember hearing a quarterback from another team back in the day complaining about how hard it was to play against Bruce, but he said what was worse was Bruce would eat raw garlic before the game and if he got to the quarterback he would lay on him an extra few seconds and just breathe his garlic breath into the quarterback's facemask. The guy was more worried about that then actually getting hit. I can't source it as it was 20+ years ago .. but I always thought that it made Bruce Smith a psychological warfare expert :)

I love garlic.  When I am cutting garlic for my wife certain parts she does not want so I just nibble on them while cutting.

Same thing for onions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/02/sports/football/where-have-you-gone-garlic-breath.html

Maybe he got tip from Joe Scibell.

Smells Like Team Spirit

Joe Scibelli really stank during his N.F.L. career with the Los Angeles Rams, from 1961 to 1975. He was an offensive guard who lined up against many of the toughest behemoths in the game. But Scibelli used a secret weapon to gain a blocking edge: bad breath.

Munching on cloves of raw garlic before and during games, he would exhale into the faces of defensive linemen just before the snap. "Their faces would wrinkle up and they looked like they were going to throw up," he said. "I could blow them away with my breath."

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’d have to put Bruce right behind Thurman Thomas as best Buffalo Bills player ever. Yes, Bruce impacted games with his sacks, but Thurman did it with his rushing, receiving and pass blocking. The NFL recognizes Marshall Faulk as best all around back, but I’d give the nod to Thurman or Marcus Allen 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d have to put Bruce right behind Thurman Thomas as best Buffalo Bills player ever. Yes, Bruce impacted games with his sacks, but Thurman did it with his rushing, receiving and pass blocking. The NFL recognizes Marshall Faulk as best all around back, but I’d give the nod to Thurman or Marcus Allen 

Agree. When Marshall Faulk played he was described as "Thurman like" in his play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I love garlic.  When I am cutting garlic for my wife certain parts she does not want so I just nibble on them while cutting.

Same thing for onions.

Do you do the same while cutting limes? 

36 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I want to say it was Elway. 

A lot of these guys have nice stats, however, Bruce got sacks when it mattered.  How many times on a third down did he come around that corner and get a sack that the team needed?  The guy is by far the Best Bills player I have ever seen and I jumped on the bandwagon at the start of the first super bowl.

• Agree 1