GMFB Do the Bills need more out of - Josh and the RB(s)

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I love Kyle, especially his pop culture references (love the Quantum Leap call out there) but disagree with him here. Josh doesn't have to be better, the defense and running game have to be better. If they are then his level of play last season is easily enough to win it all

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Allen needs to polish up the finer points but if he is as productive as he was last season (particularly in the regular season and the first playoff game) the team will be fine. It is offensive staff and the RB's who need to get the situational ground game going. 

“Sugar High“ Josh needs to go away and with that he will “improve”.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

This is nonsense

Roberts was consistently strong on returns and got us out to midfield or beyond several times.  The days of teams having returners like Devin Hester breaking multiple 100 yard kickoff returns per year are long past.  I'll gladly settle for consistent sustained strength

Additionally, our punt returns were also strong and McKenzie hit a home run in Week 17

We had a huge yardage season from Bojorquez, who while he has his ups and downs, was definitely more up than down last year

Bass broke out as a rookie, hit several long FG's with a decent FG %, and also boomed his kickoffs

Our kickoff and punt coverage teams were solid all year and definitely top echelon

We didn't have any kicks blocked and our long snapper was perfect

We have an excellent special teams unit with strong coaching and focus from head coach and GM

What more could we possibly want out of this unit?

The Bills ranked #8 in Rick Gosselin's Special Teams Rankings for 2020 in the Dallas Morning News....So......we're pretty damn good.

I would stilll like to be #1 though..... Imho, Roberts took at least six out that he had no right doing and Bojo is comically overrated because he is a horrible short punter and his shanks are very untimely. 

Go Bills!

Josh just needs to be better in the playoffs - that's the only next step I need to see from him.  Dabol needs to not entertain job offers during championship prep week.  The rest of that segment was time I will never get back.

I could see Josh improve in the little things and the biggest thing. The little things like he is trying to be more accurate on in routes this year and the big thing. I could see Josh becoming unstoppable with the game on the line. Need a TD? Josh has  got you covered. He was pretty awesome last year but I can see him maturing into an unstoppable force.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Does Josh Allen need to do more? No. The defense needs to be better and the OL combined with our RB's need to provide us with a more reliable run game. There are no excuses this year. We have had a full, as normal as possible offseason. If Josh is on par with last year then there is no reason in the world this team shouldn't be playing for the Lombardi, outside of injury to key players.  

I agree on the defense, but am optimistic there. We need some young DE’s to come thru, but you can’t say they haven’t invested there. That’s an expensive position when you are paying vets, and we will need some cheap help when Josh gets paid. 

I’m more critical of the OL and scheme/emphasis than the RB’s. They had nowhere to go far too often.  Everyone is aware and I think they can make it work to a respectable degree. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Josh just needs to be better in the playoffs - that's the only next step I need to see from him.  Dabol needs to not entertain job offers during championship prep week.  The rest of that segment was time I will never get back.

Did Daboll do that? I can't for sure remember? I agree with you if true. Our whole offense is Daboll taking the time to set chumps up, and break down defenses.

Having said all that, all ourweapons we're injured last season and it is this season where we prepare to develop talent to keep on going plus get more healthy talent. Sanders will be a huge add for us as long as he stays healthy, he should be our clear #2. Beasley goes to three, both Diggs and Beasley's touches go down this year while Sanders and the guys at the bottom of the roster at skill positions touches go up.....Singletary, Moss whoever wins #3 RB, McKenzie was pretty good last year maybe he stays around the same or goes down because he is the KR/PR .... Hodgins or whoever wins #6 on the roster should play and help a lot as other players get banged up. Maybe our stupid TEs step it up this year? Can they block? Can they catch?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I agree with Kay on this one.  He put up historic numbers and he very well could get even better but if he's close to on par as last year then we need to see better production from the RB's and defense.

And with a 17 game season I don't see a reason why he can't hit 5k.

^^^This … sort of….

I absolutely concur relative to the regular season. It’s crazy to think that JA needs to climb higher.  Where it is right to expect him to do so is post season. This is not to say that the surrounding team doesn’t need to do better. The D found a higher level in the Baltimore game. The offense needs to figure out how to do the same with JA. 

JA and the team are two (higher) steps away from a Lombardi - I look forward to them brining that trophy home.

• Agree 1

I'm very happy with the team.  I agree with the Steve Tasker point about simply playing better in the biggest games. Injuries are fate.

Daboll being distracted I think is somewhat likely (but only conjecture).  Remember that the Bills suggested a rule change to disallow other teams from approaching assistant coaches  during a playoff run (or some such).  Surely there was something there to initiate that.

2 hours ago, In Summary said:

I’m going to disagree with the bold part simply because that’s when all of these guys are being interviewed. Teams don’t wait until after the playoffs to figure out their new coaches. Daboll has aspirations to be a head coach and that’s when the interviews are held. I’m sure every team in the playoffs had a coach or 2 get interviewed for something by new teams. It’s just another thing we have to get used to with the Bills hopefully being good for the foreseeable future 

You see, I have a total different take on what happened at the AFC championship game.

Beasley- No way he was making the same cuts breaking ankles on the field with that Injury

Diggs- No way was he playing anything near 75% with his torn oblique 

Davis- Admitted after the season he was not 100%.. did not get one catch the Chiefs game.

Brown- Hurt all season and was not much better. in the playoffs.

This is in my opinion one of the 3 reasons why we lost against the Chiefs.

Even if... we were not as aggressive on 4th downs.

Even if.. our D'line continued to play bad last year..

You have a healthy Diggs and a healthy Beasley... I just feel Josh would have found a way to win that game.

And as for this year...

I think our Defensive line is going to be way better..

I think our coaching wont flinch in the playoffs by going it at 4th in 2-3 yards...

I think Josh Allen will be a smarter QB this year... Making Josh way more dangerous..

We WILL beat KC both games if need be this year...

We coming for you this year KC....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This is nonsense

Roberts was consistently strong on returns and got us out to midfield or beyond several times.  The days of teams having returners like Devin Hester breaking multiple 100 yard kickoff returns per year are long past.  I'll gladly settle for consistent sustained strength

Additionally, our punt returns were also strong and McKenzie hit a home run in Week 17

We had a huge yardage season from Bojorquez, who while he has his ups and downs, was definitely more up than down last year

Bass broke out as a rookie, hit several long FG's with a decent FG %, and also boomed his kickoffs

Our kickoff and punt coverage teams were solid all year and definitely top echelon

We didn't have any kicks blocked and our long snapper was perfect

We have an excellent special teams unit with strong coaching and focus from head coach and GM

What more could we possibly want out of this unit?

We were #1 in kickoff returns avg. and 4th in punt Returns as an avg.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’d rather hope and expect to see major improvement along the D line next season as opposed to expecting Allen to drastically improve off his excellent, MVP-level season last year. 

Outside of Hughes, who still posts elite pressure numbers, the team has spent a lot of capital to improve that line the past couple of years and it would be a disappointment to not see more production out of those guys.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Agree 3

JP, well written.  The obvious answers for improvement is defensive

line, and it’s not like Beane hasn’t invested lots of resources Star, H Phillips, Oliver, Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Epenesa, Basham, and Rousseau.  That’s not even all of them.

Not that all have worked out, but Beane keeps swinging.  I regretted we didn’t just cut Butler and Addison on top of Jefferson and used the $ for Ngakoue, but it didn’t happen. 

At this point it’s up to Frazier and McD to coach this unit up and use well.

Its the chicken and egg for the O Line vs. RB’s for more effective running production.  I agree we don’t need more running plays, we just needed more effective runs when we used that tool.

Again, I see this as a coaching and scheme issue.  They by mid season had the best five last year so less changes I expect for this year.  The LG looks like the only real competition as the other battles on the line are for depth.  The top three RB’s will duke it out for the lead position.  I’m interested in all three for different reasons.

If I were friends with Antonio Williams, I’d implore him to be the best on ST to supplant Jones.  It’s not that I don’t like Jones, but he can’t play RB.  Williams flashed at RB, so if he were equal to Jones at the 4th RB spot, that’s how he makes the team.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the running game can actually stick the ball into the end zone, then we can actually go farther as a team with Josh Allen doing LESS.  And the defense needs to follow Josh's lead from last year and make a jump.

#Championship

• Like (+1) 1