GMFB Do the Bills need more out of - Josh and the RB(s)

I agree with Kay on this one.  He put up historic numbers and he very well could get even better but if he's close to on par as last year then we need to see better production from the RB's and defense.

And with a 17 game season I don't see a reason why he can't hit 5k.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree also with Kay, expecting more out of J Allen this year is ridiculous, more out of the D and RBs is much more realistic.

Yeah they then bring up guys getting 5K yard years to say its possible, but I don't think any of those guys won a Super Bowl during those seasons.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah they then bring up guys getting 5K yard years to say its possible, but I don't think any of those guys won a Super Bowl during those seasons.

Stats are nice but a more balanced offense is preferable, along with a markedly improved Defense 

• Agree 1

Special Teams was an issue???

It might have been the most underrated reason for our success last season.  

Roberts made so many returns that got us "comfortable" field position - that's pretty calming and helps fire up the offense, and puts pressure on defenses.  

I'm probably in the minority but I'm worried about replacing him.  

And I look forward to Bass becoming one of the elite kickers in the game this season.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Roberts made so many returns that got us "comfortable" field position - that's pretty calming and helps fire up the offense, and puts pressure on defenses.  

And I look forward to Bass becoming one of the elite kickers in the game this season.  

The only comment was no big plays from special teams which was something we did not see.

I am worried about replacing him but believe the Bills need more big plays.

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes he did.

He also had he share of very poor returns/decisions and as a WR he cost us one turnover muffing a catch. IMO he was simply too unreliable as a returners, took too many chances, he could return it 50 yards or leave us deep in our territory inside the 20.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The only comment was no big plays from special teams which was something we did not see.

This is nonsense

Roberts was consistently strong on returns and got us out to midfield or beyond several times.  The days of teams having returners like Devin Hester breaking multiple 100 yard kickoff returns per year are long past.  I'll gladly settle for consistent sustained strength

Additionally, our punt returns were also strong and McKenzie hit a home run in Week 17

We had a huge yardage season from Bojorquez, who while he has his ups and downs, was definitely more up than down last year

Bass broke out as a rookie, hit several long FG's with a decent FG %, and also boomed his kickoffs

Our kickoff and punt coverage teams were solid all year and definitely top echelon

We didn't have any kicks blocked and our long snapper was perfect

We have an excellent special teams unit with strong coaching and focus from head coach and GM

What more could we possibly want out of this unit?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

We drafted a potential quality replacement in that speedster from Houston, Marquez Stevenson.

• Like (+1) 1

Does Josh Allen need to do more? No. The defense needs to be better and the OL combined with our RB's need to provide us with a more reliable run game. There are no excuses this year. We have had a full, as normal as possible offseason. If Josh is on par with last year then there is no reason in the world this team shouldn't be playing for the Lombardi, outside of injury to key players.  

• Like (+1) 4

Considering Allen had a season for the record books with below average RB’s and below average TE’s, I’d say he did a phenomenal job last season. Does Allen have room to improve...sure, but between having a below average pass rush, run stopping abilities, RB’s and TE’s, Josh Allen (and Stephon Diggs) were the reasons why the Bills made it to the AFCCG. Maybe getting Lotulelei back along with the additions of Rousseau and Basham, the defense will be improved and will be able to generate a consistent pass rush. Otherwise, if the opposing QB’s have all day in the pocket, like Mahomes did in both games vs the Bills last season, then the Bills will have to win in a shootout and that didn’t end well for the Bills in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

I love Kyle, especially his pop culture references (love the Quantum Leap call out there) but disagree with him here. Josh doesn't have to be better, the defense and running game have to be better. If they are then his level of play last season is easily enough to win it all

Allen needs to polish up the finer points but if he is as productive as he was last season (particularly in the regular season and the first playoff game) the team will be fine. It is offensive staff and the RB's who need to get the situational ground game going.