Fetes' Five Hot Takes for the 2021 NFL season

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He thinks a 34 year old Emmanuel Sanders is going to "take the top of the defense"? He is right - that is a hot take. 

When John Brown was hurt this team was able to be highly productive passing the ball. I do wonder how much speed is left in Sander game at age 34? Sanders at age 32 in 2019 was averaging about 13.1 yards per reception bouncing between two passing attacks in the bad Broncos and the so so 49ers. But then in NOLA in 2020 he only average 11.9 per reception a respectable total but not a guy taking a top off the defense. 

But the Saints had a shot 41 year old QB with zero arm strength. If Sanders can get 70ish receptions at 13 yards per reception that will be a very good season (900+ yards) and add some bigger play ability. He isn't going to be that 14.7 yards per reception monster John Brown was in 2019 but if he can be a respectable zone breaker he will really help out the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

When John Brown was hurt this team was able to be highly productive passing the ball. I do wonder how much speed is left in Sander game at age 34? Sanders at age 32 in 2019 was averaging about 13.1 yards per reception bouncing between two passing attacks in the bad Broncos and the so so 49ers. But then in NOLA in 2020 he only average 11.9 per reception a respectable total but not a guy taking a top off the defense. 

But the Saints had a shot 41 year old QB with zero arm strength. If Sanders can get 70ish receptions at 13 yards per reception that will be a very good season (900+ yards) and add some bigger play ability. He isn't going to be that 14.7 yards per reception monster John Brown was in 2019 but if he can be a respectable zone breaker he will really help out the offense. 

I agree with some of this. Sanders' elite skill has always IMO being finding the soft spot in zone coverages. That is where he excels. My personal expectation for his season is 650-800 yards and a role moving the chains on 3rd down.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with some of this. Sanders' elite skill has always IMO being finding the soft spot in zone coverages. That is where he excels. My personal expectation for his season is 650-800 yards and a role moving the chains on 3rd down.

Agreed that he can absolutely shred the zones that the Bills offense is going to predominantly see all year.

One other aspect of his game that should not go unmentioned; he spent his first couple years in the league in a room with Hines Ward.

The man will block and will enjoy the hell out of it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I think that Sanders will likely take Beasley’s spot in the slot. With the way things are going for Cole, I’m not so sure he’ll be around come week 1. I think you’ll see Diggs and Davis on the outside and Sanders in the slot.

Which,  unfortunately would leave them very thin on the outside in the event of an injury.

Lot's of slot types on the depth chart but X's and Z's.......not so much.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

We should stop before Blokes and/or Sherlock show up and make this awkward. 

Gugs, already way there.

Please no more talk of impotence, poking or anything else.

Rodney had it right with you and Thurm who I like as well.  Not a BLM thing before anyone goes there.  Just what he said which is really true on most points in life.

I hate when you guys do this but that’s my problem not yours at all.  I like when all of us just make simple points about the team we all love and not take shots.

Again, I just hate when I know two guys on this board who are both good guys and as my grandmother you to say, get you’re rhubarb up.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He said he thought Sanders would have 1,000 yards and around 65 catches. Let's take those numbers.... that would give him 15.3 yards per catch. That would be a career high. He has gone over 14 per catch just twice and not since 2015. Yea I think it is a boiling hot take expecting a guy at 34 to have basically a career year as a receiver and to be the type of player he hasn't been in about 5 years. 

I'm not defending the article but I have to say your seemingly negative attitude that Sanders is not capable of a great year is

a bit overblown by using "stats".

His last 5 years of QBs has been

Siemian

Keenum

Flacco

Garoppolo

Hill and an old crippled retirement bound Brees.

None of them come anywhere near Josh Allen.

I'm hopefully optimistic. 

Edited by ColoradoBills

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not defending the article but I have to say your seemingly negative attitude that Sanders is not capable of a great year is

a bit overblown by using "stats".

His last 5 years of QBs has been

Siemian

Keenum

Flacco

Garoppolo

Hill and an old crippled retirement bound Brees.

None of them come anywhere near Josh Allen.

I'm hopefully optimistic. 

You are thinking he has a better year age 34 than he has with Ben and Manning as a younger wide out? Fair. But wrong.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are thinking he has a better year age 34 than he has with Ben and Manning as a younger wide out? Fair. But wrong.

I didn't say that at all.  But now that you opened it up to that.

YES I believe he can outdo his best season with Big Ben!

That was a season total of 740 yards and a 11.0 YPR.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I didn't say that at all.  But now that you opened it up to that.

YES I believe he can outdo his best season with Big Ben!

That was a season total of 740 yards and a 11.0 YPR.

The original vid predicted his best season as a pro.

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. He’s just at the tail end of his career much like Addison started to show before signing here last offseason.

Sanders had 61 catches for 726 yards and 5 TDs last season with 2 bad QBs. 

Edited by Doc

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Teams will be reluctant to turn their backs and play man with Josh. We’ve got Diggs and a couple great zone busters. Hope for a TE to pop, and I like their chances. 

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I specifically said I wasn't commenting on the article but you have been extremely down on the idea of the Sanders signing.

Yep. 34 year old wide receivers at $6m per do not float my boat. Maybe I will be proven wrong but I watched a lot of the Saints last year and I think his explosion has gone. 

A year ago I was very down on paying a 33 year old edge rusher $9m per too and while I was told by others I was being too negative and it would all work out when the pudding was digested my proof was therewithin. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sanders might be this years Mario Addison signing....

Yep. At least Sanders is only a one year deal. 

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And Addison had 9.5 sacks the year before signing with the Bills, you could still see the guy was starting to show signs of slowing down as is Sanders….

It’s a big stretch to ask a 34 YO Sanders to play at a high level for an 18 game season AND the playoffs, IMO. 

This. This. And this again. 

I feel like this is a repeat of the Addison threads exactly a year ago when people were quoting numbers at me and I was replying with "watch the tape." 

I am not as down on the Sanders signing as I was on Addison because it is one year and I do think Sanders has value as a zone beater still because his nous is still there and in an offense like ours you can't have too many serviceable wideouts. But when people say things like "he will have 65 or 70 catches and 1,000 yards" as if this is still 2015 Emmanuel Sanders who just walked in the door I am going to make clear my disagreement. 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. I was really hoping they’d pursue Curtis Samuel…. Really thought his skill set would be perfect for this offense. 

Yea, he wasn't worth what he got in Washington though. I wouldn't have given him $11m per. 

22 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO teams will be less worried about that than they would have  been with John Brown, and for good reason, but Sanders manages it sometimes. I can imagine him getting a 1000 yard season here. I'd need more than straight-up odds to bet it, but I don't think it's such a bad bet for a guy who got 726 last year from Brees, whose arm was greatly limited in terms of distance.

Two points:

1) Physical teams were not worried about Brown if the refs let them play "sticky".  He could be jammed on the line and held.  He had 1 great game of 3 in the playoffs, when the Ravens focused on taking away Beasley and Diggs.  The Chiefs held him (probably literally) to 0 for 4 in the regular season and 2 for 4 in the playoffs.

2) I think John Brown started the season as a premier deep threat, but John Brown for the 4 weeks after the Raiders game was either inactive with injury, or clearly not the same guy.  Then showed up Big Time in 2 games before getting injured again and going on IR then Covid list for 5 games.   

A guy can't be a deep threat for ya if he can't stay healthy enough to play all the games close to "full go".

I definitely don't think Josh Allen will lead the team in rushing yards.  I also don't think Levi Wallace will lead the team in interceptions..  I'll be a little surprised if Sanders gets 1000 yards receiving.  The other two are quite possible.  

On 7/22/2021 at 10:37 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And is there a Fat Man, in the Bathtub, With the Blues?

We don't have access to his GPS data obviously, but several analysts have concluded that from watching film last season.

Me, I think it's hard to tell as he was limited by his QBs in N'Awleans

My first thought was "what about Cole Beasley?"  He came damned close to 1000 yds last season, and he has that "connection" going with Allen.  If he plays, it's hard to imagine him not getting A LOT of looks from Allen, or those looks leading to A LOT of yards.

It's OTAs, but Sanders wasn't looking "all that and a bag of chips" in early returns - not being where Allen expected so communication or playcall issues, not hauling in a pass that hit his hands etc.

Those unaccustomed to what actual ball velocity is ( Tua cough cough) have issues with catching Josh’s passes, the initiation can be tough, Sanders will adapt or fall by the wayside…, 

Go Bills!!!