Fetes' Five Hot Takes for the 2021 NFL season

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't know. Hot but not boiling. There is more than one way to take the top off a defense. We generally think of amazing speed, and Sanders doesn't really have that, but route running can do it sometimes as well. I mean, Sanders' longest catch last year was 51 yards. The year before that he was on two teams, and his longest with Enver was 53 and with SFO was 75.  75. The year before that, 64. Going back you then have 38, 64, 75, 48, and then 55 though in his first three years he was less of a long threat with Pittsburgh, putting up a 37, a 32 and a 35. I'd say he's a guy who sometimes takes the top off of defenses.

He didn't say he thought Sanders would regularly be open deep or anything like that. He did say he thought maybe Sanders would have a few deeper catches. I don't think that's all that unlikely.

IMO teams will be less worried about that than they would have  been with John Brown, and for good reason, but Sanders manages it sometimes. I can imagine him getting a 1000 yard season here. I'd need more than straight-up odds to bet it, but I don't think it's such a bad bet for a guy who got 726 last year from Brees, whose arm was greatly limited in terms of distance.

And for the record, I'd pick Sanders over Davis if asked to predict who'll have the most yards. I think it could go either way, but my guess is Sanders being a better route runner pays off with more targets.

He said he thought Sanders would have 1,000 yards and around 65 catches. Let's take those numbers.... that would give him 15.3 yards per catch. That would be a career high. He has gone over 14 per catch just twice and not since 2015. Yea I think it is a boiling hot take expecting a guy at 34 to have basically a career year as a receiver and to be the type of player he hasn't been in about 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Uninformed because I didn't watch a video full of hot takes from a local sportscaster from Rochester?  One whose first hot take was that Josh Allen would lead the team in rushing yards?

I made a crack using his last name, linking it to a legendary band ... and that's mouthy?

I'm sorry you've taken exception to my uninformed opinion that the guy in the video is an idiot who doesn't deserve my time to listen to his idiocy.

I'm not off the mark.  And I don't need to watch that video to know it.

I hope your day improves, brutha!  Smile and laugh a little!

Yes.

Uninformed because you feel the need to talk about something you aren't willing to inform yourself about. And the fact that you seem proud of that proves my point.

You are off the mark, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Your little joke doesn't work, and you're too determinedly uninformed to ever know why. My day's fine, thanks, though I am watching something sad on a message board.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Yes.

Uninformed because you feel the need to talk about something you aren't willing to inform yourself about. And the fact that you seem proud of that proves my point.

You are off the mark, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Your little joke doesn't work, and you're too determinedly uninformed to ever know why. My day's fine, thanks, though I am watching something sad on a message board.

The joke works perfectly!  Perhaps you just don't get it.

If I'm off the mark by opining that the guy in the video is full of crap, then it seems I have a lot of company.  But because I've admitted to not wasting my time to watch that crap, you're making the effort to call me uninformed and mouthy.

From where I sit, it appears that you're the determinedly uninformed one.

And I'm sorry you're mad and sad.  I hope things look up for you soon.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Allen will lead us in rushing either but to be fair to Fetes he did at least offer a rationale that I see a grain of sense in - that teams will give the Bills more max coverage looks in 2021 after their success as a passing offense last year and that might open up more running lanes for Josh if a guy they might have been spying with in 2019 and 2020 is suddenly double covering a receiver instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh's yardage on the ground ticks back up very slightly on 2020... but it won't be significant and it won't lead the team. 

We are a better offense when Josh is running off of scrambles.  He has been super dynamic with those kinds of runs over his 3 year career.  He is a big boy and can take a hit, and give one out as well.  I don't like him running out of  the read option, unless its near the goal line where he is almost unstoppable.  The pre planned runs by Josh against the Colts did not work very well except down near the goal line late in the 1st half on what I thought was the best drive of the 2020 season.  96 yards in about a minute and a half.  Tremendous.   

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

40 is probably just like 106 in some base system, but I can't figure out what that is right now.  I don't think it's integer.

That dang metric system...

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He said he thought Sanders would have 1,000 yards and around 65 catches. Let's take those numbers.... that would give him 15.3 yards per catch. That would be a career high. He has gone over 14 per catch just twice and not since 2015. Yea I think it is a boiling hot take expecting a guy at 34 to have basically a career year as a receiver and to be the type of player he hasn't been in about 5 years. 

He said "So I see Emmanuel Sanders catching 65, 70 balls (1000 yards and 70 balls would be 14.2 YPC) and a couple of them being 65+ yarders for touchdown." That's  maybe warm, but it isn't boiling. If he gets two long balls like that, he could easily average 14.2. 

When you look at his last few QBs, they are the 2020 version of Brees and Taysom Hill, half a year of Garoppolo and four or five years of Denver's carousel of mediocrity with Flacco, Lock, Keenum, Siemian, Osweiler and Lynch. He did get Manning in his last couple of years, and though Manning wasn't exactly throwing downfield a lot at that point, he made Sanders look sensational and he ended up with Y/Rs of 13.9 and 14.9.

Is it really so unreasonable to think Sanders might do better and get longer throws with Josh Allen throwing to him than the motley group he's dealt with since Manning retired? I don't think so.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

If I'm off the mark by opining that the guy in the video is full of crap, then it seems I have a lot of company.  But because I've admitted to not wasting my time to watch that crap, you're making the effort to call me uninformed and mouthy.

I get it completely that you don't know why it doesn't work, and can't ever understand until you listen to the video. It would require you to listen to the entire first twelve seconds of the video for you to figure out why it doesn't work. But doing that much research appears beyond you. Better to just defend an opinion about which you are completely uninformed.

But it's clear at this point that popping off with opinions about which you have zero information and no inclination to learn is your pattern. You don't know me, but you think you understand me. You don't know the video but you think your opinion about it is worth something. 

Things are awesome for me right now, actually. First day of a four-day weekend, and I just finished reading my kid a part of a Ramona book as a bedtime story. But no, clearly you know more about me than I do, or so you think.

Your idea that I'm uninformed is wrong, and provedly so. I've seen the video. You haven't. I'm in the process of living my life. You haven't an ounce of insight into the video or my life and are yet willing to think your opinion about either is worth something. It is kind of amusing, though sad, but I've been amused enough at this point. Your feets have failed you now, and when it comes to informing yourself to even the slightest degree, you ain't Willin'. You had the chance to take the high road but instead you went Lowell.

But the Feat references don't work here. And you still have no earthly idea why your joke doesn't work and aren't willing to check your facts as to why. Anyone interested enough to read the past few posts has seen that very clearly. 'Nuff said.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I get it completely that you don't know why it doesn't work, and can't ever understand until you listen to the video. It would require you to listen to the entire first twelve seconds of the video for you to figure out why it doesn't work. But doing that much research appears beyond you. Better to just defend an opinion about which you are completely uninformed.

But it's clear at this point that popping off with opinions about which you have zero information and no inclination to learn is your pattern. You don't know me, but you think you understand me. You don't know the video but you think your opinion about it is worth something. 

Things are awesome for me right now, actually. First day of a four-day weekend, and I just finished reading my kid a part of a Ramona book as a bedtime story. But no, clearly you know more about me than I do, or so you think.

Your idea that I'm uninformed is wrong, and provedly so. I've seen the video. You haven't. I'm in the process of living my life. You haven't an ounce of insight into the video or my life and are yet willing to think your opinion about either is worth something. It is kind of amusing, though sad, but I've been amused enough at this point. Your feets have failed you now, and when it comes to informing yourself to even the slightest degree, you ain't Willin'. You had the chance to take the high road but instead you went Lowell.

But the Feat references don't work here. And you still have no earthly idea why your joke doesn't work and aren't willing to check your facts as to why. Anyone interested enough to read the past few posts has seen that very clearly. 'Nuff said.

I have a question. And I'm not talking sides. But the way you keep on harping on about this makes me ask what I'm gonna ask. Are you the guy in the video? Because you are acting butthurt like you are him and being insulted. Just wondering 🤷🏻‍♂️ ( I personally think you are him) But I rather ask then jump to conclusions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Just to try to put a stop to this meaningless back and forth... Thurman is saying it doesn't work because he pronounces his name like "fates" not like "feats". Not sure why he just didn't tell you that. Personally, I like the joke even if he doesn't pronounce it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Look, man.  It's not MY fault that this guy can't even pronounce his own name properly.  But I'll be damned if I'm gonna let HIS lack of command of our mother tongue get in the way of an epic display of wit.

I don't think you know who you're talking to, but I'm pretty impotent!

On that note, have a great day, sir!

8 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I have a question. And I'm not talking sides. But the way you keep on harping on about this makes me ask what I'm gonna ask. Are you the guy in the video? Because you are acting butthurt like you are him and being insulted. Just wondering 🤷🏻‍♂️ ( I personally think you are him) But I rather ask then jump to conclusions.

No, not him. As many on here know, I live in Japan. Much older than Fetes as well.

And even in my OP, I made it clear that I don't agree with all five of his predictions, just that I think they're defensible and worthy of discussion. Anyone who informs himself and has a different opinion than me on that might get disagreement from me, but certainly won't be told that he's wrong, Gugny is simply wrong and unwilling enough to spend a few seconds fact-checking. I do have very little respect for that, it's true.

It's a popular modern view ... I said it, therefore it must be true and I don't need to check no stinking facts. So much of the problem in our modern discussion is driven by this deep-seated belief that because someone has an opinion he thinks it must be correct, and that having uninformed opinions is something that is actually worth anything.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He said "So I see Emmanuel Sanders catching 65, 70 balls (1000 yards and 70 balls would be 14.2 YPC) and a couple of them being 65+ yarders for touchdown." That's  maybe warm, but it isn't boiling. If he gets two long balls like that, he could easily average 14.2. 

When you look at his last few QBs, they are the 2020 version of Brees and Taysom Hill, half a year of Garoppolo and four or five years of Denver's carousel of mediocrity with Flacco, Lock, Keenum, Siemian, Osweiler and Lynch. He did get Manning in his last couple of years, and though Manning wasn't exactly throwing downfield a lot at that point, he made Sanders look sensational and he ended up with Y/Rs of 13.9 and 14.9.

Is it really so unreasonable to think Sanders might do better and get longer throws with Josh Allen throwing to him than the motley group he's dealt with since Manning retired? I don't think so.

At age 34? Yes.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Sanders looked good last year.  He's still dangerous 

He looked sloooooow last year.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Look, man.  It's not MY fault that this guy can't even pronounce his own name properly.  But I'll be damned if I'm gonna let HIS lack of command of our mother tongue get in the way of an epic display of wit.

I don't think you know who you're talking to, but I'm pretty impotent!

On that note, have a great day, sir!

I can confirm Gug IS impotent. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed..... I hope the new missus is having more luck buddy.

We should stop before Blokes and/or Sherlock show up and make this awkward. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He thinks a 34 year old Emmanuel Sanders is going to "take the top of the defense"? He is right - that is a hot take. 

I think that Sanders will likely take Beasley’s spot in the slot. With the way things are going for Cole, I’m not so sure he’ll be around come week 1. I think you’ll see Diggs and Davis on the outside and Sanders in the slot.

• Like (+1) 1