Fred Warner's New Deal - Is This Going To Be What Edmunds Is After?

H2o

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Edmunds does have two pro bowls (I think) on his resume, but let’s be honest. We’d all choose Warner over Edmunds. With that being said, Edmunds will probably get around the same amount. 

Lol...hopefully not from the Bills...😉

1 hour ago, H2o said:

As of NOW it’s a NO for me. Let’s see what he does next year. He needs to produce more turnovers and sacks to earn that kind of money. He’s a borderline top 10 MLB, but he has the ability to be great. Is potential alone worth such a big contract? Sometimes. This is not a slight against Edmunds. I fully expect him to take a leap next year. Next on my **** list is Ed Oliver. That’s for another time & another thread.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I doubt Beane will pay that much for him.  When you're a good team, you have to let good players go.  

Why wouldn't he pay him if he has a season like people expect he might. He's the captain of the defense, a leader: if he balls out and you let him walk in FA, that sets a terrible example for the rest of the team. You do have to let good players go sometimes--more likely that will be Poyer and/or Hyde as they get into their 30s, not a (then) 24 or 25-year-old, 1st round pick, head of your defense. They traded up to draft him ideally to lead their defense for the next decade. If he plays this year like he did in the Ravens game, then he'll be worth whatever the going rate is for a top 5 linebacker. If he plays closer to this year (which he was hurt often during), then maybe they let him go.

At the very least, if they are dissatisfied, Beane will surely try to get something back for him.

Edited by thurst44

The elephant in the room is the Josh Allen extension. No way we can do both Allen and Edmunds. Pick who you want to keep, pay the man and politely show the other one out the door.

I know who I would pick.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Why would Edmunds be paid as the top linebacker in the league? He and his agent would not be expecting that kind of money.

Why? Because he's a 2X PB'er. Warner just once albeit All-Pro. Not much debate that Warner and for that matter Darius Leonard are better players. Leonard by reports is finalizing a new deal as well and he's a 3X PB'er (2X All Pro). What's his deal gonna look like? What hurts Edmunds is his team has a QB ready to break the bank and the others don't. He'll get paid if he's reasonable.

• Dislike 1

$19 million per year for Edmunds on a Bills team that relies on the passing offense to win games?    Not seeing it.  Depends on what he does this year.  I'd rather have another Poyer if I'm paying that.  

42 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I doubt Beane will pay that much for him.  When you're a good team, you have to let good players go.  

These are the harder choices that the Bills will have to make sooner rather than later. They were fortunate to be able to lock up White, Dawkins, Mongo, D.Williams and Milano all to pretty reasonable deals. And while I do think that Edumonds is a valuable part of this defense I see him as being the odd man out if he commands an insane contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

For one thing I think it is really hard for any of us to compare Tremaine to most other LBs as we don't see them that much.

Having said that, while Edmunds appears irreplaceable to this defense right now, he also always shows shortcomings in taking on blocks or finding and getting  the ball for us.

I hope we can sign him for less as contracts like that make it hard to win SBs....

If you're Beane, how do you make a case that he is not worth that kind of money?

We need to knock off a couple mill from that at least....

Why can't he just be a clone of Brian Urlacher and then we would happily pay top dollar.

Make it clear, Tremaine!

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s not complicated. If he “balls out” the next two years like you suggest then you consider paying him….  If he plays like he has I don’t see how the Bills justify that kind of contract. 

Yes, that's pretty close to exactly what I said (i just edited it a second ago and added two words in case i was not clear). Poster I was responding to implied that he was expendable regardless. I'm just saying that if he plays near his ceiling, that it would be ridiculous to think that Beane would let Edmunds walk. 

I'd argue in year two he was on the path to being worth the contract. Last year was a bit of a wash due to injury and the weirdness of the pandemic, so I believe there's a chance, especially based on the second-to-last game being the Ravens game where he took over the game and held the team to 3 pts., that he could play in year four in a manner that easily earns a second contract and while he can be polarizing, I'm not the only one who believes this.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Based on his play to date, he’s worth half that much imo.  Warner is a much better LB.  it’s not really even close.  Maybe Edmunds can change that in 2021

It's been very easy for some apologists on here to call any critique of Edmunds  "hate".

The tune will change if it's more of the same ol' leading up to either the signing of a second contract or free agency.

You can't have a non-playmaker earning $19M per year.😄 

• Like (+1) 1

Even if Edmunds were as good of a MLB as Milano is an OLB........paying him $19M per year would be bad for the team.

The best situation long term for the Bills wouldn't be Edmunds breaking out as a playmaker in the middle..........it would be someone else stepping up for him.....the defense being BETTER........and then Edmunds coming back and being tried as a pass rusher.

I know I've banged that drum since he was drafted..........but I wouldn't pay ANY MLB upwards of $20M per year.

The positions where you need difference makers are the places where it's easier for individual talent to flourish and make game changing plays.........edge and island positions.

Once you start paying guards and runnin' bax and inside LB's that kinda' money you are asking A LOT of your personnel department to keep those edge/island positions stocked when you are only *planning* to give them picks in the 20's and 30's in each round to fill them.

• Like (+1) 1