Fred Warner's New Deal - Is This Going To Be What Edmunds Is After?

H2o

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Edmunds only does one of those listed skills well. He covers ground. He plays the run poorly at best and his ability to diagnose plays quickly seems quite lacking. I have no idea what memory has to do with playing MLB.  

I hope he plays to an All-pro level this year.  Nothing would make me happier.  But the tape shows he played poorly last year.  None of us know if that was injury related or not.  He had no surgery in the off-season so it would be easy to surmise that whatever the injury was it healed at some point.  It may have hampered him all season long.  We will never know.  

He appears to be a guy that has all the tools to be a truly great player.  There are many guys that are physically gifted that never reach their potential.  I'm going into 2021 with an open mind when evaluating his play.  

Oh, nonsense.

It is useful having you here spewing this stuff.

It shows how how nutty some people get on Tremaine.

The tape doesn't "show he played poorly last year." That's utter nonsense. The Bills were almost universally expected to exercise his fifth-year option for around $12.7M. The reason this expectation was so very widespread was simply that the tape shows just the opposite of that. It shows a guy who is playing very well. Not elite. But playing very well after the injury stopped holding him back so much the first seven weeks or so.

It's just as widespread an opinion (again, simply because it's sensible) that with the way he's played so far, in no way does he deserve the kind of contract discussed in the OP. He'd need to be a top three or four LB to deserve that kind of money, and he's not there yet, nor is it sure that he ever will get there.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, appoo said:

And this is what I mean about my 2nd paragraph. He's been a pro-bowler, he's pretty highly rated by NFL evaluators, his peers seem to respect him, but Bills fans largely seem to think he's not very good.

We watch the games too.  No Bills fan thinks he deserved a ProBowl nod last year. 

28 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, nonsense.

It is useful having you here spewing this stuff.

It shows how how nutty some people get on Tremaine.

The tape doesn't "show he played poorly last year." That's utter nonsense. The Bills were almost universally expected to exercise his fifth-year option for around $12.7M. The reason this expectation was so very widespread was simply that the tape shows just the opposite of that. It shows a guy who is playing very well. Not elite. But playing very well after the injury stopped holding him back so much the first seven weeks or so.

It's just as widespread an opinion (again, simply because it's sensible) that with the way he's played so far, in no way does he deserve the kind of contract discussed in the OP. He'd need to be a top three or four LB to deserve that kind of money, and he's not there yet, nor is it sure that he ever will get there.

Picking up his option is about keeping control of the player and giving the team more time to see if he blossoms into the top 4 player we all want him to be.  Of course he has played well enough to start.  And he is young enough and shown enough promise (especially the second half of 2019) to want to pick up his option.  I advocated for picking up his option.  Seemed like an easy decision.  

However, if you think it is nonsense for me saying his run defense is poor then you simply have not watched the games.  

Warner is far better.

Edmunds strikes me as someone who will be tremendously overpaid hopefully by someone else. He has shown flashes of being a solid player and maybe injury held him back last year but Leonard and Warner are building blocks you can count on to make plays.

Fact is Edmunds is playing for the Bills this year for $4M.  He is most likely playing next year for $12.7M.

I'm pretty sure that Beane will not even talk about an Edmunds contract until after Josh Allen's contract is sealed.

I'm hoping for a decent Edmunds improvement this year and I will only think about this subject halfway through NEXT season.

IMO.

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Think Devin White was essential to the Bucs beating the Chief. The pass rush was tremendous, but White was ridiculously good that game

Yep.   Having an outstanding one on a cheap contract will not prevent you from winning a SB.    That's about all it really tells you in the grand scheme though.   

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are the Bills SB contenders without Edmunds?

If they find a capable replacement either cheaper in free agency or they sink a high draft choice into the position they will be fine without Eduomnds long term. For now Edumonds is here and he is a positive part of the defense. I do feel like LB play is a critical part of the defense (and in coverage becoming a bigger part of modern NFL defenses) and I do like what Edumonds brings to the defense but he might not be destined for the team longer term. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think my primary point on this is how much McDermott values that position in his defense. His entire system on having a backer with Endmunds athletic ability, mental ability and skill set. 

then take that and look at the cost of finding a replacement. That only guy in this past draft that could be a an athletic replacement would have been Micah Parsons. 

not at all dismissing folks who are critical of Tremaine’s play, but you need to understand how much value McDermott has in him.

he’s gonna get paid by the bills because of that 

ESPN article below from today seems to agree at least somewhat with what many of us have posted.  That said, I have no idea how they draw the conclusion it was a lack of chemistry with Klein. What does that have to do with hesitancy to initiate contact? But maybe there is something there that coaches have said to the reporter. 

At this point his age, potential, and second half of 2019 warrant picking up the option and the hope he becomes the top 5 LB we all want him to be.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/36163/tremaine-edmunds-best-football-ahead-of-him-as-extension-approaches

Statistically, Edmunds turned in a solid 2020 season with 119 tackles, including 4 for a loss in 15 games -- but something seemed off. He missed Buffalo's Week 2 win at the Miami Dolphins with a shoulder injury before returning to play in his team's remaining 14 games, but he seemed slow to react on certain plays or hesitant to initiate contact.

Both critiques can be attributed to Edmunds' lack of chemistry with A.J. Klein, who filled in for usual starting linebacker Matt Milano for six games while the latter was injured, and his shoulder keeping him from playing at 100%.

But the two-time Pro Bowler was also better than the Internet might lead one to believe. Edmunds' 4.91-second average time to tackle ranked 22nd among qualified linebackers (at least 700 snaps played), and his 0.86 second get-off ranked ninth. Translation: Despite the chemistry issues and injury woes, Edmunds was processing the game quickly.

If he’s willing to take $11M-$12M, I’d say he’s worth it, but anything more than that gives me cause for concern. 

Of course one could argue that our DL has been piss poor since he’s been here, but his production isn’t in line with other elite players. Sure, he’s good, but not very good, let alone elite. He has everything you’d want in a LB physically, but he lacks instincts.

MLB is a highly disvalued position. If we see more splash plays out of Edmunds in pass defense I may change my mind, because generally that’s what you want these days in a LB.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

FWIW...........the people who downplay Tyrod Taylor for just being an "alternate" don't realize that the Pro Bowl that year was not an AFC/NFC vote........it was an ALL NFL team..

Tyrod was technically an alternate but he was actually one of only 2 AFC QB's selected...........6 of the 8 selected were NFC QB's.

His season was very much like Edmunds' last year.........he made it because the conference didn't have a lot of good players at his position.

No, you're leaving out an awful lot there about Tyrod's Pro Bowl game. Brady and Roethlisberger were voted in and declined. Dalton was the first alternate and he couldn't play. Philip Rivers said no thanks. Luck  was injured and ineligible. Alex Smith was rumored to have been asked under the table to play but refused. And then there were the NFC guys.

That group of Pro Bowl QBs was the weakest in history:  Eli Manning (in a year when his QB rating was 86.0, a year when he tied for 4th-highest in INTS with 16, one per game) Derek Carr, Tyrod, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater. Probably one of the top 6 or 7 QBs that year, in Russ Wilson.

Wretched.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We watch the games too.  No Bills fan thinks he deserved a ProBowl nod last year. 

Right, none, except most.

That Pro Bowl wasn't controversial except in your small group of Bills fans watchers.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Picking up his option is about keeping control of the player and giving the team more time to see if he blossoms into the top 4 player we all want him to be.  Of course he has played well enough to start.  And he is young enough and shown enough promise (especially the second half of 2019) to want to pick up his option.  I advocated for picking up his option.  Seemed like an easy decision.  

However, if you think it is nonsense for me saying his run defense is poor then you simply have not watched the games.  

Again, nonsense. Yes, it's about control of the player. But if he was the player you absurdly claim he is, nobody would be interested in controlling him.

He's played well enough to make the Pro Bowl, to make nearly every list of top ten LBs out there.

And no, it doesn't mean I didn't watch the games, it means that I, like nearly all of the football-watching world, disagree with you and your ridiculous biases.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:22 AM, boater said:

The elephant in the room is the Josh Allen extension. No way we can do both Allen and Edmunds. Pick who you want to keep, pay the man and politely show the other one out the door.

I know who I would pick.

Way.

Both are controlled through 2022. And in 2023 we have at present $100M in remaining cap space according to Spotrac.

They could certainly keep both if that's what they decide to do, which seems likely though not definite at this point.

Edited by Thurman#1

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That Pro Bowl wasn't controversial except in your small group of Bills fans watchers.

It wasn't controversial but it was at least in part a result of factors beyond Tremaine's performance. Hightower who made it the year before opted out, Devin Bush who would have been a shoe in the way he was playing got hurt and the inside linebacker depth in the AFC sucks. Playing the way Tremaine played last year he wouldn't have been in the top half dozen choices in the NFC. But the way the pro bowl is set up means sometimes a guy gets in on one side who wouldn't have a prayer on the other. He played much more at what I'd consider a "pro bowl level" in 2019 when he got in as an alternate.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't controversial but it was at least in part a result of factors beyond Tremaine's performance. Hightower who made it the year before opted out, Devin Bush who would have been a shoe in the way he was playing got hurt and the inside linebacker depth in the AFC sucks. Playing the way Tremaine played last year he wouldn't have been in the top half dozen choices in the NFC. But the way the pro bowl is set up means sometimes a guy gets in on one side who wouldn't have a prayer on the other. He played much more at what I'd consider a "pro bowl level" in 2019 when he got in as an alternate.

Well, sure, every Pro Bowl selection, every ranking of any type, is at least in part a result of such factors.

Tremaine's injured shoulder, his decision to play through it because even injured they didn't have anyone who could play as well healthy as Tremaine injured, Star's opting out, etc. were some more factors affecting how he ranked, as did the ones you mentioned.

And I guess we'll have to disagree about the NFC. You say that there are six better guys over there as if it's a fact, and it's not, it's your opinion. I think there are three or four guys over there who are simply playing better than Tremaine (nearly all older than him, by the way), but after that it gets very foggy. After his shoulder got healthy again, he looked like he was playing at much the same level last year as he'd been in 2019, but the defensive scheme wasn't working around him nearly as well as it had been when Star had been shielding him on early downs and Milano and he were both healthy and playing extremely well off each other, and the inability to replace Shaq Lawson last year hurt more than most seem to see.

I disagree with your opinion about Devin Bush as well. He's a really good young player, improving and looks to be a really promising kid. Without question the healthy Bush played better than the injured Edmunds, but once Edmunds was healthy, I don't think it would've been a shoo-in by any means. And Bush was in a much better situation on that Steelers D than Edwards.

And it's worth remembering that I was responding to the wacky assertions that "No Bills fan thinks he deserved a ProBowl nod last year," and that "the tape shows he played poorly last year."

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 3

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You say that there are six better guys over there as if it's a fact, and it's not, it's your opinion.

We have done this before but you can take it as read that what I say is my opinion. It is a discussion board I don't need people to caveat everything to understand it is their opinion. When I am sharing something that is a fact I make it very clear that is the case.

As for the substantive matter about which we have a difference of opinion I think it is worth reflecting on the all pro voting at linebacker for last season which certainly is more in line with how I saw it. 

1. Fred Warner, San Francisco, 39 votes - NFC

2. Bobby Wagner, Seattle, 35 - NFC

3. Darius Leonard, Indianapolis, 18 - AFC

4. Devin White, Tampa Bay, 16 - NFC

5. Demario Davis, New Orleans, 14 - NFC

6. Lavonte David, Tampa Bay, 10 - NFC

7. Roquan Smith, Chicago, 10 - NFC

8. Eric Kendricks, Minnesota, 3 - NFC

9. Blake Martinez, New York Giants, 2 - NFC

10. Myles Jack, Jacksonville, 1 - AFC

11. Zach Cunningham, Houston 1 - AFC

12. Deion Jones, Atlanta, 1 - NFC

50 voters, 3 votes each, maximum number possible 150. 

12 guys got votes. 9 of them were in the NFC and of the 150 votes possible the NFC won 129-21. Now of course the AP voters are also only expressing an opinion too, but I think it would be the overwhelming consensus among seasoned NFL watchers that the NFC is considerably stronger in those inside linebacker spots (whether you are talking 4-3 or 3-4) than the AFC right now. 

It just so happens the top half dozen I was thinking of in the NFC are precisely the guys who came top 7 in the voting (excluding Leonard obviously). 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We have done this before but you can take it as read that what I say is my opinion. It is a discussion board I don't need people to caveat everything to understand it is their opinion. When I am sharing something that is a fact I make it very clear that is the case.

As for the substantive matter about which we have a difference of opinion I think it is worth reflecting on the all pro voting at linebacker for last season which certainly is more in line with how I saw it. 

1. Fred Warner, San Francisco, 39 votes - NFC

2. Bobby Wagner, Seattle, 35 - NFC

3. Darius Leonard, Indianapolis, 18 - AFC

4. Devin White, Tampa Bay, 16 - NFC

5. Demario Davis, New Orleans, 14 - NFC

6. Lavonte David, Tampa Bay, 10 - NFC

7. Roquan Smith, Chicago, 10 - NFC

8. Eric Kendricks, Minnesota, 3 - NFC

9. Blake Martinez, New York Giants, 2 - NFC

10. Myles Jack, Jacksonville, 1 - AFC

11. Zach Cunningham, Houston 1 - AFC

12. Deion Jones, Atlanta, 1 - NFC

50 voters, 3 votes each, maximum number possible 150. 

12 guys got votes. 9 of them were in the NFC and of the 150 votes possible the NFC won 129-21. Now of course the AP voters are also only expressing an opinion too, but I think it would be the overwhelming consensus among seasoned NFL watchers that the NFC is considerably stronger in those inside linebacker spots (whether you are talking 4-3 or 3-4) than the AFC right now. 

It just so happens the top half dozen I was thinking of in the NFC are precisely the guys who came top 7 in the voting (excluding Leonard obviously). 

The disparity in quality of ILB/MLB players between the AFC and NFC is huge.

I understand why casual observers don't understand this.............but this can happen at a devalued position and it can not be reflected by the play of the teams in those conferences.

Because defenses aren't built from the MLB outward anymore.     They are built around edge rushers and lock down CB's.   

If the Bills intend their D to be built around their MLB as so many Edmunds excuse makers claim........and Edmunds doesn't improve significantly.........they will continue to be a paper tiger defense.     

• Agree 1