Fred Warner's New Deal - Is This Going To Be What Edmunds Is After?

H2o

5 years, $95M, $40.5M guaranteed at signing. That's awful steep. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31856418/sources-fred-warner-san-francisco-49ers-agree-5-year-95-million-extension

Warner and the Niners agreed to a five-year, $95 million deal that includes $40.5 million guaranteed, sources told Schefter. The $19 million average annual value surpasses the previous high of $18 million per year held by Seattle Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner.

1 minute ago, Blainorama5 said:

I like Edmunds, but wow I have a hard time believing he's worth THAT much!

agree, but if he has a break out year this coming season, he might ask for more.    He is above average athletic freak that makes mistakes and was injured last year.    

two pro-bowls already, I think if we sign him now, it won't be warner money but close.  Warner is a game changing type MLB, Edmunds is not there yet, but with a break out year could easily be.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

agree, but if he has a break out year this coming season, he might ask for more.    He is above average athletic freak that makes mistakes and was injured last year.    

two pro-bowls already, I think if we sign him now, it won't be warner money but close.  Warner is a game changing type MLB, Edmunds is not there yet, but with a break out year could easily be.  

It's the risk you take when waiting on making a long term commitment. In this case, I think we would be smart to see how this year plays out first. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

Warner is a game changing type MLB, Edmunds is not there yet

Agreed.  He plays pretty well in this system, but given his age, it might be a couple more seasons to see IF he really becomes a Warner-like game changer.

Warner is a better tackler, pass rusher, and probably a top 7 linebacker in football.

Offer Edmunds 5 years, 75 million, with $30 million guaranteed. That is a reasonable offer. Wagner and Warner are better and Edmunds will still be in his 20's after this contract.

Fair on both sides.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Wizard said:

Warner is a better tackler, pass rusher, and probably a top 7 linebacker in football.

Offer Edmunds 5 years, 75 million, with $30 million guaranteed. That is a reasonable offer. Wagner and Warner are better and Edmund's will still be in his 20's after this contract.

Fair on both sides.

I think that would be fair

• Like (+1) 1

I've been on record as not a big Edmunds fan, so this would be a big no from me.  Unless I start seeing actual game changing production and better coverage in the middle of the field, I'd be more inclined to trade him after this season than let him walk for free nor give him a big contract. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Offer Edmunds 5 years, 75 million, with $30 million guaranteed. That is a reasonable offer. Wagner and Warner are better and Edmund's will still be in his 20's after this contract.

Fair on both sides.

I like your numbers waaaay better than 95/40.  Yikes!!

Edited by Blainorama5
  • Like (+1) 1

We should see Warner’s value this season with Saleh gone. 
Is he a product of a pretty fantastic defensive line? Scheme? Despite all the injuries they had the D line was still quite good. I think Edmunds might look quite good in their defense as well. 
I find it hard to compare Edmunds to others because our defense is unlike most in the league. We are rarely in an attack mode and play conservative. I think we’d still be pretty disappointed if we had a Devin white or Wagner in the middle here and no pass rush. This defense is trash unless you can get pressure with 4, if you can’t only the elite coverage guys can survive. I have high hopes our vets and rookies can dominate the D line like Schwartz D line did years back. If we see that I think we see Edmunds game go to a whole new level. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

We should see Warner’s value this season with Saleh gone. 
Is he a product of a pretty fantastic defensive line? Scheme? Despite all the injuries they had the D line was still quite good. I think Edmunds might look quite good in their defense as well. 
I find it hard to compare Edmunds to others because our defense is unlike most in the league. We are rarely in an attack mode and play conservative. I think we’d still be pretty disappointed if we had a Devin White or Wagner in the middle here and no pass rush. This defense is trash unless you can get pressure with 4, if you can’t only the elite coverage guys can survive. I have high hopes our vets and rookies can dominate the D line like Schwartz D line did years back. If we see that I think we see Edmunds game go to a whole new level. 

Yeah, I doubt that. White is cut from a different cloth. I told everyone when he was coming out of LSU that he was Ray Lewis 2.0 because that was who he reminded me of watching him play. His instincts at the position are 2nd to none, he takes great angles, and is just as athletic as Edmunds, if not more so. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, I doubt that. White is cut from a different cloth. I told everyone when he was coming out of LSU that he was Ray Lewis 2.0 because that was who he reminded me of watching him play. His instincts at the position are 2nd to none, he takes great angles, and is just as athletic as Edmunds, if not more so. 

Hey I think he’s a great player too, but he misses angles and tackles similar to Edmunds. When you play that fast everyone misses. But he’s also got David teaching him and playing next to him on top of having a dominant pass rush 

• Disagree 1