Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC (update - now officially joined)

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why wouldn't they want Oklahoma?? They are a winning program , more so than Texas. Big 10 screwed this up.

That's it !! just two conferences: ESPN Conference and FOX Conference 😋

The networks control everything anyway might as well give into our big business overlords.

Oklahoma isn’t AAU and it’s more than just an athletic affiliation with the Big Ten. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Big12 is DONE and DEAD. Split up the rest between PAC and BIG10.

The ACC should start discussions to merge with the SEC immediately.

I hate what is happening to college football. Dont get me wrong, I hate the NCAA as a governing body and welcome a new group in charge, but between the playoffs, expanding the playoffs, and this path to consolidation into 2-4 mega-conferences... I'm hating all the change. Quickly losing the down-hominess of classic college ball (if it isnt completely gone already).

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Now there is an idea that I can easily wrap my head around!!!

Alabama should be entitled to play the same easy conference games as other teams, especially (but not limited to) Clemson. 

I continue to make the case that most moves made by the NCAA are aimed at weakening Alabama. Your suggestion is a GREAT one!!!

On 7/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Oklahoma isn’t AAU and it’s more than just an athletic affiliation with the Big Ten. 

Yolo, do you think that the Big 10 wants more good teams in the conference?

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Now there is an idea that I can easily wrap my head around!!!

Alabama should be entitled to play the same easy conference games as other teams, especially (but not limited to) Clemson. 

I continue to make the case that most moves made by the NCAA are aimed at weakening Alabama. Your suggestion is a GREAT one!!!

Yolo, do you think that the Big 10 wants more good teams in the conference?

Fox does. Kevin Warren? TBD

i don’t think it’s as much about their on field performance (ie “good teams”) as it is fan base, TV market and cache. So if you consider USC, Oregon, UCLA and colorado “good” then yes. USC won’t come by themselves out of the PAC 12 because they want some geographically close games. Then for some reason the big ten really likes Colorado (the university presidents) 

Edited by YoloinOhio

If I was the other Power 5 conferences I would do everything in my power to get this college football expanded playoffs voted down, and then watch while the SEC devours their own year after year and only gets 1 team in the playoffs year after year.   I think the Big 12 is done though.  I guess they could go after some of the AAC & Mountain West, but I am not sure if that jump to the Big 12 will even be a step after OU & Texas leave  

On 7/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I hate what is happening to college football. Dont get me wrong, I hate the NCAA as a governing body and welcome a new group in charge, but between the playoffs, expanding the playoffs, and this path to consolidation into 2-4 mega-conferences... I'm hating all the change. Quickly losing the down-hominess of classic college ball (if it isnt completely gone already).

Yeah, I never want to be against change just for the sake of it, but it feels like the fans are the losers. It reminds of what’s happening to minor league baseball. I agree about the ACC needing to make a move, and I think it will eventually be a necessity if they want to survive. I follow Syracuse football, simply because I live in the area and enjoy college football. It’s not easy being an SU football fan, but I enjoy having the opportunity to watch major college football.

I worry that teams like SU will be relegated to mid majors if football decisions outweigh all else. As league mergers continue, how many bottom feeder programs will other leagues except ? A league like the ACC is filled with bottom feeders in football. Many of whom aren’t the greatest revenue generating programs either. I’m quite certain there’s plenty of Southern mid major football programs who out-earn programs like Boston College. I think an ACC merger with the SEC would be interesting, because it would completely change the complexion of college sports. I think there’d be a lot of teams searching for new homes after being left out by the SEC. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC (update - now officially joined)
2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I never want to be against change just for the sake of it, but it feels like the fans are the losers. It reminds of what’s happening to minor league baseball. I agree about the ACC needing to make a move, and I think it will eventually be a necessity if they want to survive. I follow Syracuse football, simply because I live in the area and enjoy college football. It’s not easy being an SU football fan, but I enjoy having the opportunity to watch major college football.

I worry that teams like SU will be relegated to mid majors if football decisions outweigh all else. As league mergers continue, how many bottom feeder programs will other leagues except ? A league like the ACC is filled with bottom feeders in football. Many of whom aren’t the greatest revenue generating programs either. I’m quite certain there’s plenty of Southern mid major football programs who out-earn programs like Boston College. I think an ACC merger with the SEC would be interesting, because it would completely change the complexion of college sports. I think there’d be a lot of teams searching for new homes after being left out by the SEC. 

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe ACC needs to stick it out and try to be that 4th major conference.

There are currently 130 D1 FBS teams. If they are really going to do this right, the ideal number would be 128. I'm sure we can find 2 ***** schools to cut. Oh well to them.

128 teams provides the ability to do 4 Conferences with 32 teams (SEC, BIG(10), PAC, and... ACC?).

Each conference has 4 divisions of 8 teams. You get scheduling options such as, each team plays every team in their division once, and then 1 team from the other divisions (for a 10 game schedule). Or 6 in-division, and 2 games with each other division (for a 12 game schedule). Or some other combination.

Then you setup the playoffs so each Conference sends 3 or 4 teams to the playoffs. 3 teams makes the ideal 12 team playoff, but 4 teams lets you do each division winner.

I dunno.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah.

When I see two good teams playing I don't care what conference they play in. 

On 7/30/2021 at 11:39 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Maybe they go to two super conferences but break it down into divisions like that NFL. That way they can get the power of the conference but get the regionalness and rivalries of the divisions.

If they do go to an expanded 12-team playoff, I don’t even see the point of conferences except for the TV money 

I am shocked that Dabo would even consider coming to the SEC @YoloinOhio.

For example, they open against Georgia (yes, they actually open against a good team) this season. Even if they lose, a case can be made that they will only play teams that range from horrid to so-so for the remainder of the season.  We will find out alot about Miami on 9/4, no?

In other words, Clemson is seemingly a lock for even a 4 team playoff before the season even starts. In the SEC they will actually have to play against good football teams!!! 

I suppose that cash is king, which you alluded to in another post. 

If this happens we will get a clearer picture of just how good Dabo is imo. I am not saying that Dabo isn't good or possibly even great. I AM saying that he never had to play a schedule like Alabama does and for that matter, Ohio State.

Jmo.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:33 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Same, Kirk. Same.

I love tradition too.

That being said, what is really being broken up here? With Oklahoma & Texas still united, the Red River War will continue.

Also, The Bonfire between Texas & Texas A&M will be re-united.

Granted, Bedlam(Oklahoma-Oklahoma State) will be broken up, but what other real rivalries are being broken apart?

On 8/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I am shocked that Dabo would even consider coming to the SEC @YoloinOhio.

For example, they open against Georgia (yes, they actually open against a good team) this season. Even if they lose, a case can be made that they will only play teams that range from horrid to so-so for the remainder of the season.  We will find out alot about Miami on 9/4, no?

In other words, Clemson is seemingly a lock for even a 4 team playoff before the season even starts. In the SEC they will actually have to play against good football teams!!! 

I suppose that cash is king, which you alluded to in another post. 

If this happens we will get a clearer picture of just how good Dabo is imo. I am not saying that Dabo isn't good or possibly even great. I AM saying that he never had to play a schedule like Alabama does and for that matter, Ohio State.

Jmo.

Supposedly Clemson and FSU are both denying this. The SEC also reportedly doesn’t want them. Maybe the Big Ten will go after them. Ohio state already sees Clemson as a rival, could work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:50 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe ACC needs to stick it out and try to be that 4th major conference.

There are currently 130 D1 FBS teams. If they are really going to do this right, the ideal number would be 128. I'm sure we can find 2 ***** schools to cut. Oh well to them.

128 teams provides the ability to do 4 Conferences with 32 teams (SEC, BIG(10), PAC, and... ACC?).

Each conference has 4 divisions of 8 teams. You get scheduling options such as, each team plays every team in their division once, and then 1 team from the other divisions (for a 10 game schedule). Or 6 in-division, and 2 games with each other division (for a 12 game schedule). Or some other combination.

Then you setup the playoffs so each Conference sends 3 or 4 teams to the playoffs. 3 teams makes the ideal 12 team playoff, but 4 teams lets you do each division winner.

I dunno.

Why on earth would the power 4 conferences want to share revenue with teams like toledo and louis monroe.  This will never happen.  Schools like that and they are a lot of them out there bring absolutely nothing to the table.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.