Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC (update - now officially joined)

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Or they could just scrap the LHN.

ESPN had been losing money on the LHN.

I doubt it has changed.

I know at one point, the cable providers wanted nothing to do with LHN as it was a ratings disaster.

This move is not just about TV money, its about CFB money.

If the playoffs expand, the SEC would increase their chances of multiple teams being in.

Without OU and Texas, you don't think the SEC could place multiple teams in? It is about TV revenue, and exposure. Oklahoma is untapped for the SEC. The State of Texas has A&M, but Texas has a major following.

Yes, my last statement about LHN should go the way of the dinosaur does mean they should scrap LHN. Guess that wasn't clear. Money allocated to LHN will be added to the 2024 SEC-ESPN contract. The money will be split 16 ways now. You know, as well as me, that the SEC is always about equal distribution of revenue. I'm sure ESPN has been lobbying for the move of the two schools to the SEC, if, for nothing else, to get rid of the ratings disaster called LHN.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The insider board that I pay way too much money for is saying that Texas and OU originally approached the Big Ten, which really  wanted Texas but not OU. They wanted to be a package deal only, so moved on to the SEC who is interested in both. USC, Colorado, Oregon and UCLA are all very interested in joining the Big Ten and there is mutual interest in all of those. They are all AAU members, fit the academic and athletic profiles the conference requires, and would fulfill former Commissoner Jim Delaney’s dream of a “coast to coast B1G football” 

Do I trust Kevin warren to get this done? Not even a little. But it sounds like more to come on the near future. 

That is crazy!

Are those schools displeased with the Pac-12?

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

Without OU and Texas, you don't think the SEC could place multiple teams in? It is about TV revenue, and exposure. Oklahoma is untapped for the SEC. The State of Texas has A&M, but Texas has a major following.

Yes, I have no doubt the SEC can put multiple teams in the CFP.

But think about the overall impact on CFB, and the possible implosion of the Big 12.

This move is just not about the immediate TV revenue gained by adding UT and OU.

That's a given.

I suggest listening/watching the Late Kick w/ Josh Pate I linked above.

Yes, my last statement about LHN should go the way of the dinosaur does mean they should scrap LHN. Guess that wasn't clear. Money allocated to LHN will be added to the 2024 SEC-ESPN contract. The money will be split 16 ways now. You know, as well as me, that the SEC is always about equal distribution of revenue. I'm sure ESPN has been lobbying for the move of the two schools to the SEC, if, for nothing else, to get rid of the ratings disaster called LHN.

This is what I was trying to respond to.

Since the LHN is a contract between UT and ESPN, ESPN is under no obligation to pay that money to the SEC overall.

If the LHN is the only stumbling block that prevents UT from joining the SEC, scrapping it is the easiest solution.

EDIT: I found this-

https://www.dawgsports.com/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract

"Sources close to the University of Texas have told Dawg Sports that Texas “would be willing to scrap it (LHN), and believe the move to the SEC would ultimately result in more money for the university.”

In 2020, the SEC distributed 45.5 million to each of its 14 schools. The Big 12 distributed 34.5 million each to the 10 member institutions. The shuttering of the Longhorn Network would serve as a gesture of goodwill after Texas previously demanded unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12.

ESPN lost 48 million on the Longhorn Network during the first five years of the deal, and it has long been speculated that the company would love to find a way out of the deal. The Longhorn Network could easily be folded into another ESPN property like the SEC Network."

Edited by Cynical

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Call me crazy, but the Big 12 would be a good landing spot for USC, UCLA, and/or Colorado (if they are hell bent on leaving the Pac 12).

USC and UCLA would never get the TV revenue, and exposure, in the Big 12 as they would in the Big 10.

Are we in a full-on arms race now? If so, Kevin Warren is not a wartime commissioner.  New B1G football czar Barry Alvarez might be, though. It used to be all about getting into new TV markets (hence Maryland and Rutgers), but now apparently there are so many streaming options and team/game specific packages available that the cable TV ratings aren't the most important factor anymore.  Now it's all about building a high-profile brand with the media exposure needed to maximize the NIL revenue that can be brought in through star players at primetime schools, and (as Ryan Day said at his press conference today) figuring out how to distribute that money throughout the team.  That's a tricky puzzle that will be easier to manage if there're plenty of money for everyone.

My view is that Ohio State is in a great spot to sit back and see how this all plays out, and then decide how or where to proceed.  The conference is in deep trouble though, and so is the NCAA generally, if it isn't an active player in this moment.  I personally don't want to have to watch a bunch of OSU-Kansas football games just to gain a hoops powerhouse.  USC on the other hand...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

So I wonder if the Pac 12 lost those teams if it would go for Boise St, SD St, San Jose State, Nevada?

Sounds like a mess. 

Does sound like a mess.

You could also add Fresno State & Hawaii to that mix.

Hate it for for the conferences, but its business and i really dont care as long as there is good football.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mark Vader said:

The Big 10 should just swoop in and take whatever is left.

Or just grab Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State & Oklahoma State.

then put the rest in pac 12

On 7/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, Mark Vader said:

Texas Christian would make sense too.

They should give Maryland back to the ACC in exchange for Pittsburgh. Imagine Penn State-Pitt as a conference game.

Kansas would be huge for basketball.

Texas A&M should really get over this. Don't they see that they can bring back "The Bonfire" game with Texas?

Make 4 conferences

Big 10

ACC

SEC

PAC12

Or get rid of the numbers and call them Big and Pac lol

Or Pacific coast conference and Great Lakes conference.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

On 7/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, buffaloaggie said:

What is LHN ?

On 7/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, YoloinOhio said:

The insider board that I pay way too much money for is saying that Texas and OU originally approached the Big Ten, which really  wanted Texas but not OU. They wanted to be a package deal only, so moved on to the SEC who is interested in both. USC, Colorado, Oregon and UCLA are all very interested in joining the Big Ten and there is mutual interest in all of those. They are all AAU members, fit the academic and athletic profiles the conference requires, and would fulfill former Commissoner Jim Delaney’s dream of a “coast to coast B1G football” 

Do I trust Kevin warren to get this done? Not even a little. But it sounds like more to come on the near future. 

Why wouldn't they want Oklahoma?? They are a winning program , more so than Texas. Big 10 screwed this up.

3 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

This is getting even weirder. It’s basically going to be ESPN versus FOX to see who can hype up their conferences more. 

That's it !! just two conferences: ESPN Conference and FOX Conference 😋

The networks control everything anyway might as well give into our big business overlords.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

These conference jumps are all about money and survival.  Jump to a new/better conference or get left behind.  But I find it funny, it rarely results in on field/on court success.  Look at Pitt/Syracuse, they have struggled to stay relevant in the ACC and they are certainly not the powerhouses they were when they were back in the Big east for hoops.  Look at Maryland, for the most part they do not fit in to the big 10, their football team is a joke and their basketball team has taken more than a few steps back.  Nebraska, my god where do I start, their football team is a joke, made even worst by Frost trying to back out of the OU game this year.  It is funny, but these moves very rarely translate into on field success.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.