Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC (update - now officially joined)

YoloinOhio

I’m not a subscriber to the Houston chronicle but if you click on it you can read for a few seconds 

summarized here:

Texas and Oklahoma of the Big 12 have both reached out to the Southeastern Conference about potentially joining the powerful league, a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday," Zwerneman writes.
"An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first of a national super-conference."

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see them wanting TCU for the Dallas market 

I would love Kansas for basketball 

Texas Christian would make sense too.

They should give Maryland back to the ACC in exchange for Pittsburgh. Imagine Penn State-Pitt as a conference game.

Kansas would be huge for basketball.

Texas A&M should really get over this. Don't they see that they can bring back "The Bonfire" game with Texas?

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Think the unnamed SEC Source is wrong. It takes a 75% approval from the members in order to extend an invitation.

*3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least three-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised: 5/30/91] [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

12 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Think the unnamed SEC Source is wrong. It takes a 75% approval from the members in order to extend an invitation.

*3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least three-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised: 5/30/91] [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

They just said 11/14 is considered majority vote 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They just said 11/14 is considered majority vote 

That's what the bylaw says. Majority must be a relative term to Kirk Bohls. Yes, I'm sure he restated in a later tweet.

Mizzou and A&M are hard no's. Texas will blow it due to the Longhorn Network, which is the reason A&M, Mizzou, Colorado and Nebraska all left the Big 12. SEC is all about treating each institution equally when it comes to revenue sharing. Only way this goes through is if ESPN takes the money they're paying Texas for LHN, and adds it to the 2024 broadcast rights contract signed between ESPN and the SEC. If the SEC doesn't get a significant bump in TV revenue, it makes no sense to split revenue 16 ways instead of 14 ways, with little revenue increase. LHN should go the way of the dinosaur. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The Sooners will never see another CFP while in the SEC unless they expand it to 8.

Not that they need it, but it could help their recruiting. SEC has the “reach” for the NIL angle, and playing all those games in Florida, Georgia, SC, Louisiana etc will expand the exposure of the program and brand to those athletes 

Taste teie

Its interesting, I wonder where the next dominoes will come from, whether it is the Big 10 making a play for a few teams, or if the Big 12 goes for American teams like Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, Boise, etc.

I also wonder if this could be the thing that could possibly inspire UB to move up into the American or CUSA, depending on how the map looks.  With that said, it would be likely CUSA and the American would be diminished into nearly mid-major status anyway.

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its interesting, I wonder where the next dominoes will come from, whether it is the Big 10 making a play for a few teams, or if the Big 12 goes for American teams like Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, Boise, etc.

I also wonder if this could be the thing that could possibly inspire UB to move up into the American or CUSA, depending on how the map looks.  With that said, it would be likely CUSA and the American would be diminished into nearly mid-major status anyway.

The insider board that I pay way too much money for is saying that Texas and OU originally approached the Big Ten, which really  wanted Texas but not OU. They wanted to be a package deal only, so moved on to the SEC who is interested in both. USC, Colorado, Oregon and UCLA are all very interested in joining the Big Ten and there is mutual interest in all of those. They are all AAU members, fit the academic and athletic profiles the conference requires, and would fulfill former Commissoner Jim Delaney’s dream of a “coast to coast B1G football” 

Do I trust Kevin warren to get this done? Not even a little. But it sounds like more to come on the near future. 

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC
21 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

That's what the bylaw says. Majority must be a relative term to Kirk Bohls. Yes, I'm sure he restated in a later tweet.

Mizzou and A&M are hard no's. Texas will blow it due to the Longhorn Network, which is the reason A&M, Mizzou, Colorado and Nebraska all left the Big 12. SEC is all about treating each institution equally when it comes to revenue sharing. Only way this goes through is if ESPN takes the money they're paying Texas for LHN, and adds it to the 2024 broadcast rights contract signed between ESPN and the SEC. If the SEC doesn't get a significant bump in TV revenue, it makes no sense to split revenue 16 ways instead of 14 ways, with little revenue increase. LHN should go the way of the dinosaur. 

Or they could just scrap the LHN.

ESPN had been losing money on the LHN.

I doubt it has changed.

I know at one point, the cable providers wanted nothing to do with LHN as it was a ratings disaster.

This move is not just about TV money, its about CFB money.

If the playoffs expand, the SEC would increase their chances of multiple teams being in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.