Is it time to trade off Singletary?

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

You draft RB’s these days to use them up, then replace them. Why not just do that? 

That’s what I would do.  

However, I’m answering the question posed by the OP.  Same way I’m not saying I think Motor will get a 3rd, I’m saying what would make me trade him.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The Rams would make a lot of sense due to their unfortunate luck with Akers. The Bills got too many RBs with comparable talent/skill. Time for the Bills to clean up the roster and get ready for a big time RB, if not this year in some kind of trade or acquisition then in next year’s draft. The Rams are pretty generous with their draft picks anyways so why not take it and run (no pun intended)?

The Rams still have D. Henderson and there are backs on the FA market. If we had a back to trade that was a full notch better than Henderson they'd bite and make the trade, imho, but I don't know if Singletary is that guy?

On the other hand, I fully expect Singletary to start for us and go back to his rookie yds./attempt # of 5.1. That is NFL awesome compared to anyone. We just to have to put the practice time, play design time into the run game to get Singletary back to that mark. Fans don't seem to appreciate how Devin gets ten yards plus So often. Maybe he makes it look too easy?

Having said that!!! I don't think Devin is in Cam Akers class nor Fred Jackson's. He's good though.... we'll see how he does this year. As far as making third and short, I think that is more of a team deficiency although Fred would just make the one yard on his own all the time. Judging RBs is difficult....

Bottomline: no way anybody gives us more than we spent on Devin.

And! If the Bills decide to spend big on a FA next year to get us a SB, it is going to be a defender. There is no doubt in my mind. The Bills will make certain Allen has weapons, but keep it in the middle of the road category as long as we have Diggs. We need Allen plus Diggs and a lot of moderate NFL talent. Allen and Diggs are major blue chippers. Sanders, Beasley, Davis are solid red chippers, we need to develop more red chippers: Knox, Singletary, Moss, in that order, McKenzie, Hodgins, etc....

Maybe the Bills will develop another Blue-chipper this year or later? Both Hodgins and the sixth rounder this year have some elite skills, you never know. Diggs was a fifth rounder..... Maybe Davis turns into a Fitzgerald this year? His comparable and Gabriel's idol. Who knows? He'd have to show those stellar hands again but a tad more consistently, that ability to break loose in coverage, and then toughness and blocking supremacy.

Great teams draft great over time, We need our drafts to pick us up this year if we are going to win a SB. Particularly the defense where most of the high picks went. C'mon White, Milano, TJ, Tremaine, Ed O, AJ, Groot And Boogie!

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not yet. Although I’m a Moss guy first, Singletary had a very good rookie year and had averaged 5.1 yards per carry. The run blocking was absolute **** last year. I’m giving him another year. 

However, I think these RBs were great in Pass blocking....that gave Josh the extra second to throw the football for a catch

• Agree 1

Has there ever been a fan base who complained more about a RB with one of the best career YPC averages amongst the current crop of RBs in the league?

Is Devin going to lead the NFL in rushing?  Nope...nor does he need to.  

We are a passing offense with a QB who can also do damage with his legs.  

We dont need Barry Sanders, we need a guy who can average over 4 yards per carry and help move the chains.  And we have 3 of those RB's on this roster right now.  

More importantly, everyone is obsessed with the "homerun" play.  Devin as a rookie and part time RB was just a few runs shy of the NFL lead of 20+ yard runs.  And we are talking about a play that happens LESS THAN once per game by even the league leaders.  

Our biggest issue last year in the run game was blocking and scheme, not our RB's.  Sure, we can improve our RB's like most teams could, but people act like we have the worst stable of RB's in the NFL around here.  I think Devin, Moss, and Breida are going to do just fine...or 2 of those 3 if one gets hurt, cut or traded.  I am not nearly concerned about our RB situation as this board makes it out to be.  

I am however concerned in our ability to RUN BLOCK and OPEN LANES.  That hasn't been the strong suit of our OL and we mostly are returning the same unit.  Although, even then I am not that concerned because the more important thing they need to do is pass block and let Josh dominate the NFL...and that I know they can do pretty darn well.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

If we got the right offer and the FO feels Moss is healthy, I would do it.  But I wouldn't just give him away.  I'd take a 3rd rounder or better and not look back.  He's not going to get paid here and most project him to get the lesser of the carries. 

This.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The Rams would make a lot of sense due to their unfortunate luck with Akers. The Bills got too many RBs with comparable talent/skill. Time for the Bills to clean up the roster and get ready for a big time RB, if not this year in some kind of trade or acquisition then in next year’s draft. The Rams are pretty generous with their draft picks anyways so why not take it and run (no pun intended)?

No.

Please stop.

PS:  IMHO, 0% chance they trade any of our RB's before seeing what Moss and Breida look like on the field.  Moss coming off injury in a rookie year and Brieda doesn't know the offense and had his own spat of injuries in his career.  

That being said, I am fine if one of them gets traded if they are confident in our other guys.

But, I am also comfortable with our current stable of RB's and really only see a trade happening if either Antonio Williams or Christian Wade have a camp that forces their hand to keep one of them on the 53 man roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

In preseason of 2015 the Bills at one time had all of their TOP 5 RB's injured.

Anyone remember the Bills having to use Cierre Wood??

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/injuries-cause-running-backs-to-fall-short-of-expectations/article_bce94731-3ef1-5d24-a47c-cad2dfd94417.html

Luckily none of them were season-ending and they closed the season with a flourish (with McCoy on IR) to lead the NFL in rushing.

Depth at RB can get depleted FAST.

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Only for Aaron Donald, Ramsey and Woods 

8 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is a fair question but I’m going to say no. I’m expecting him to our #1 back this year

I have Moss and Bredia ahead of him.   I’d trade Singletary, but I’d need a 3rd back.  He (Singletaty) is valuable as depth.   

Edited by RyanC883

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

🤦‍♂️ Congratulations! 4200 posts and you haven’t made sense yet! You're our new record holder!

• Haha (+1) 1

Is it time to trade off Singletary?

No, and the question doesn't make particular sense.

Fair compensation. The Rams don’t seem to value their draft picks too highly so I would probably think along those lines first. They also have a highly touted TE prospect in Jacob Harris that imo would cause some interest. I’m sure that there could be some forms of compensation that I’m not thinking of.

And ... proof you'd put as little thought into this as it appeared. Jeez.

Edited by Thurman#1

You don’t trade assets off when your team is in win now mode. Singletary is our best back and not only that, it looks like he is coming into camp in the best shape of his life.

As many folks pointed out, our line is not exactly the best at run blocking. We are not a power run team, yet Singletary has averaged almost 5ypc in his first two seasons. I would argue that even some of the best backs in the league wouldn’t of had much success behind this OL. I would also argue that our run blocking scheme is the problem and is most certainly Brian Daboll’s weakness as a play caller.

This line is great in pass protection, but I think over the next year or two that it will be reshuffled. Ford, Feliciano and Morse will not be mainstays. There’s clearly some work to be done there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

PS:  IMHO, 0% chance they trade any of our RB's before seeing what Moss and Breida look like on the field.  Moss coming off injury in a rookie year and Brieda doesn't know the offense and had his own spat of injuries in his career.  

That being said, I am fine if one of them gets traded if they are confident in our other guys.

But, I am also comfortable with our current stable of RB's and really only see a trade happening if either Antonio Williams or Christian Wade have a camp that forces their hand to keep one of them on the 53 man roster.  

if we can trade motor for a pick that gets swapped into a player we really need (i'd presume cb2, og/c, and most of all te) then it could totally be worth it.

given how little and how poorly we run vs pass, having 2 3rd rounders and a once decent FA on our team who kinda form a 3 headed monster seems a bit of overkill.  of course, if they figure it out and can run the ball well i'd be super pleased, just don't expect it at all.