Bills Players-Fan Encounters Thread

muppy

Worked a few years at a suburban restaurant/nightclub in the later '70's. Bills and Sabres went there often. Got to know a few and "socialized" with them, sometimes to the wee hours. There was an upstairs private like party area.....

.....sorry, not telling what with who went on, 'cept O.J. showed up once.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Quite a few back in the mid-70-s to late 80's...

Christmas weekend in New Orleans...my buddy Ed and I drove over to see the Bills play the Saints in the Super Dome.  We were staying in the same hotel as the Bills. The night before the game, we went out and had quite a bit to drink, especially Ed.  About 2am, I am helping Ed through the hotel...we get to the elevator...the door pops open and Ted Cottrell is standing there.  I think he was patrolling the hotel, to make sure his players weren't carousing...he looks at us, and in a very stern voice says "You boys better be ready for game time tomorrow".  It was pretty funny...

Same trip, at half time, we went into the smoking lounge of the Super Dome (I don't smoke...but Ed did) and it was packed.  Standing right beside us, with his young son was Leon "Dr Sack" Seals.  We talked a bit...he seemed genuinely thrilled that we recognized him, and was kind of humble-bragging to his son "see, I told you".  Seemed like a real good guy.

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

CJ Spiller got pissed off at me when a couple of Pittsford floozies at Cheesecake Factory kept asking him if he was a football player, he kept denying it until the chicks asked me if he played football, and I said "yeah that's CJ Spiller". Those gold-diggers wouldn't leave him alone until he left.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, State Rt. 21 N. said:

Mark Kelso use to attend our post game tailgate.  He even took my Nephews toy Bills football helmet into the locker room to be signed by the players and coaches.  

Oh, boy, I got a Mark Kelso story...

• Like (+1) 1

Spent a lot of time with Thurman. Love him. He is awesome. Same with Jim. Met most of the SB era Bills and they were all great. Maybe Bruce was a little more stand-off-ish than the rest (though he did sign a napkin for me when I was a kid, while he was dining with his family/children in 93… so shame on me and cool of him).  

While I only said a quick hello to both, have heard that Josh Allen and Harrison Phillips are salt of the earth from close family members. 

Come to think of it, don’t think I’ve ever really had a negative experience with a Bills player. Cool. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1