Bills Players-Fan Encounters Thread

muppy

I just had a really cool interaction with an ex Bill from the glory teams Clifford Hicks. Dude used to wear a Dr Seuss hat on the sidelines which was always memorable for me. 

I asked he if he still had the hat and he said "yes its in storage" And since I had mentioned I was from Batavia it ends up he works currently with a guy I went to high school with.

Small world:-)

It made me think there have got to be a lot of you whom have met or interacted with Bills players. I know I'd love to read about them.

Made my day!

• Like (+1) 3

I have had a lot.

Two that stand out, JP Losman and and some other Bills in San Antonio at the Marriot before the game.  JP could not have been nicer.  Also talked to Lawyer Malloy, man had an incredibly deep and resonant voice, smart man.

Meet Kelly twice, once in the French Quarter during Super Bowl weekend and when the Bills and EJ Manual were in Houston, the game where Manuel threw an 80 yards TD to JJ Watt, saw that play like it was in slow motion like watching a car wreck.  Both Times Kelly was incredibly gracious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Met Kelly at a promotional event at Anchor Marine. He was nice enough but I was 8 or 9 years old and he was a god at the time so I don't think it really would have mattered if he wasn't.  Also ran into Kent Hull buying long underwear for hunting at a store by Eastern Hills Mall. He was super cool. Also ran into Kevin Knox at the Boulevard Mall but I think I was the only one who recognized him and he got a little spooked once other people started paying attention. Also ran into Glenn Parker at a Sabres game.  Ran into Bill Polian at the airport one time when I was again about 8 or 9, he was nice. I know they aren't Bills but I was also on a plane with Marv Albert and Paul McGuire immediately after the Bills Dolphins game right before Christmas in 1990. We went to the game, drove straight to the airport, changed out of longjohns at the airport and got on the plane to Chicago (we were going to LA to see my aunt, I dunno where Marv and Paul were going)

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Met Kelly at a promotional event at Anchor Marine. He was nice enough but I was 8 or 9 years old and he was a god at the time so I don't think it really would have mattered if he wasn't.  Also ran into Kent Hull buying long underwear for hunting at a store by Eastern Hills Mall. He was super cool. Also ran into Kevin Knox at the Boulevard Mall but I think I was the only one who recognized him and he got a little spooked once other people started paying attention. Also ran into Glenn Parker at a Sabres game.  Ran into Bill Polian at the airport one time when I was again about 8 or 9, he was nice. I know they aren't Bills but I was also on a plane with Marv Albert and Paul McGuire immediately after the Bills Dolphins game right before Christmas in 1990. We went to the game, drove straight to the airport, changed out of longjohns at the airport and got on the plane to Chicago (we were going to LA to see my aunt, I dunno where Marv and Paul were going)

Paul McGuire is a former Bill

• Agree 1

Met Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Darryl Talley at the United Way Day of Caring in August 2019.  All three were incredibly gracious.  

Thurman was posing for pictures with anyone who wanted them inside Key Bank Center while everyone gathered to be bussed off to their volunteer location…. and Jim and Darryl came to our location (African American Cultural Center in Buffalo) later that morning and thanked us all, then went inside to talk to the kids (there was a summer school program going on there; I think)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At a bar the night before the last game we played in New Orleans, I turned to my right and standing there was Leonard Smith.  I drunkenly yelled in his face "YOU'RE LEONARD FU(#ING SMITH!" to which he smiled and quietly replied "No, I'm just Leonard Smith" and then walked away.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Met a few.  My Father took me to the Thurman Thomas show they use to have at one of the local malls.   The guests were Keith McKeller, and JD Williams.  They signed autographs after the show, I reached out to shake McKeller's hand while he signed, but he was too busy talking to the two blondes behind me.  I was probably 8 years old at the time. 

My son goes to Kelly's Football Camp, so I've met Jim a few times.   Seems like a good guy, is always the first to say Hi and engage in conversation.   Losman, Cardale Williams, and Eric Striker at training camps.  Striker told me it was good I brought my son because he wouldnt have signed for me.  Wasnt completely sure what he meant as I wasnt exactly seeking out Eric Striker for an autograph.

Had the opportunity to meet with Marv for a few minutes as he was doing a signing at a book store I worked at during college.  Came across as a super genuine and intellectual guy, just as he does in interviews.

The most vivid recollection of meeting a Bills player/executive was when I worked at the same bookstore in the early 2000's.  Nearing the end of the night around Christmas Tom Donahoe walked in and I cant tell you how absolutely defeated the guy looked.     Looked like he was carrying 1000 pound Gorilla under his trench.  Told him I was a big fan of the team, just kind of nodded and walked out.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I moved to Charlotte in 98. My first job was managing an IHOP in Matthews.

I was on the register up front when in walks Pete Metzelaars. Unmistakable!!! He had four young boys with him who he was doing some kind of charity/ big brother sort of event with. 
   I introduced myself and thanked him for all the great memories. He was super gracious and down to earth.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve told this story before:

My wife and I were standing in front of Buckingham Palace the weekend before the Bills game in London. Some guy is fumbling with his camera trying to take a photo of his wife and daughter. I ask if he wants me to get all three in the photo. He turns around and it’s Jim Kelly. I took the photo, and thanked him for all the memories. He was super thankful and just like any tourist would he said ‘thanks man, I’m never in the family pictures’! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

After a Bills game, just after Thurman Thomas was announced for Hall of Fame, I am walking to my gate at the airport and the area was mostly deserted (might have actually been the next day) and Thurman is walking all by himself from the other direction.  I shook his hand and congratulated him on the HOF and he was very nice.

My son has actually gotten selfies and  been on flights after games on separate occasions with both Croom and Shaq Lawson - in each case there was some issue they were going home for right after the game.  He also got a selfie with (retired) Fred Jackson in the airport after a game.

Also - my son went to UNCW and one day he was in class and one of his friends who knew he was a Bills fan said 'Brandon Beane is here today' (UNCW is Beane's alma mater) and told him the building where he just saw him.  After class my son booked over to the building and literally was just wandering around halls looking for Beane and he found him!  My son was wearing a Bills hat that he always wore - and he said when Beane saw him he just lit up - he LOVED seeing a random Bills fan far outside Buffalo - seemed genuinely happy to see a fan and interact.  He was there with his family and was super nice (think this was within a year of him getting job - he might have been there to accept an alumni award).

Years and years ago I spent a night drinking w/ Matt Kofler - he was married at the time to a girl I went to HS with.  I remember trying to be cool and not ask too many Bills questions - but it's also not like there were "glory days" stories to tell from his era :rolleyes:.. He seemed a nice guy (RIP)

I've told this story before:  Years ago I went to Jimmy V charity golf tournament which was right next to where I lived, and James Lofton was in one of the groups.  Things were winding down, and as I was headed out I saw Lofton on a tee.  For some reason I got the great idea I was going to run home and get a camera (oh the days before cell phones) and get a picture with him.  I soon realized the distance was longer than I estimated, and I was not quite in the shape I thought I was.  By the time I got back I was dying - could hardly breathe and sweating my a$$ off.  I stumbled toward Lofton and will never forget the look on his face when he saw this heaving, sweaty, crazy-looking person approaching.  Barely able to breathe I blurted out "JamesisawyoucatchalotofballsatrichstadiumthoseweregreatdaysGoBiils!canigetapicture" and he accomodated me as one might accomodate an insane person while fearing for their life.  He showed a lot of poise in that situation 😛 

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Working at Waterbeds and Stuff, players from the late 80's and 90's would come in all the time. Nate Odoms especially would come in after practice and hang out. They had an event at the Marriott on Millersport that they sponsored. Bruce, Thurman, Bennett, Tasker, Reed, all of them except for Kelly were there. In a football toss I got 2 out of 3 through the tire, and won a pair of RayBan sunglasses. I'm sitting at a booth with a girl who worked with me, her friend, and Thurman (who was seriously going after my co-workers friend). I got up to get drinks for the table, come back, and Thurman is wearing the RayBans. I said "Thurman, give me back my glasses" to which Thurman said, "they were your glasses". He was a rookie at that time so it was easy to forgive him. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

I just had a really cool interaction with an ex Bill from the glory teams Clifford Hicks. Dude used to wear a Dr Seuss hat on the sidelines which was always memorable for me. 

I asked he if he still had the hat and he said "yes its in storage" And since I had mentioned I was from Batavia it ends up he works currently with a guy I went to high school with.

Small world:-)

It made me think there have got to be a lot of you whom have met or interacted with Bills players. I know I'd love to read about them.

Made my day!

I got a hat signed my Joique Bell and I truly thought they would keep him on the roster because of his awesome preseason performances. Then the Lions picked him up and he became a pretty decent change of pace RB.

• Like (+1) 1

The only significant encounter I've had is with Steve Tasker.  He and I were both delegates to a conference I attended.  I sat next to him at a dinner table with about five other people at the table.  This was well after his playing days.

• Like (+1) 1

Ran into Percy Harvin after he retired down in VA Beach at a gas station. It was just a quick what's up, you coming back out of retirement, talked Bills for a minute, and then he was on his way. 

• Thank you (+1) 1