Olympics Thread

RaoulDuke79

I have mixed feelings.  Most of us older folks who played sports were taught that you have to be there for the team.  So from that perspective when I heard the news I thought she was bailing on her teammates, that she owed it to them to suck it up and get out there.  Then I got home and watched her vault, and it was clear she was way out of it.   I think if she had continued not only would she have done poorly and cost her team a chance on the podium, but she could have hurt her self in a sport where one wrong move can break your neck.  So it's hard to compare what she had to deal with vs. what Kerri Strug did; Strug knew it would hurt like hell when she landed, Biles wasn't sure if she'd land on her next event.

Couple last points.  One, unless you are an elite athlete I don't think any of us can appreciate the pressures such individuals feel.  Second, maybe it's time to drop the jingoistic fervor around the Olympics (as was started during the Cold War), and just recognize the Games for what they are, a chance for athletes of different countries to compete.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I have mixed feelings.  Most of us older folks who played sports were taught that you have to be there for the team.  So from that perspective when I heard the news I thought she was bailing on her teammates, that she owed it to them to suck it up and get out there.  Then I got home and watched her vault, and it was clear she was way out of it.   I think if she had continued not only would she have done poorly and cost her team a chance on the podium, but she could have hurt her self in a sport where one wrong move can break your neck.  So it's hard to compare what she had to deal with vs. what Kerri Strug did; Strug knew it would hurt like hell when she landed, Biles wasn't sure if she'd land on her next event.

Couple last points.  One, unless you are an elite athlete I don't think any of us can appreciate the pressures such individuals feel.  Second, maybe it's time to drop the jingoistic fervor around the Olympics (as was started during the Cold War), and just recognize the Games for what they are, a chance for athletes of different countries to compete.  

She should have stuck it out, I did so for my Little League team 😆 I say that jokingly, because that’s how some sports fans sound. I don’t even think it’s fair to compare football players or the like to gymnasts. They are two different beasts. Biles has been through a lot, and I don’t think it’s fair to judge what she might be struggling with. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Any women going to be able to beat these women in basketball ? 

FFFE5276-21BD-4026-838F-29A11219615F.jpeg

I seriously can’t believe 3 on 3 Bball is now an Olympic sport. I just looked up the list of the sports, and there are some really absurd ones on there. Artistic swimming? 3 kinds of BMX biking?  2 kinds of kayaking?  I saw some skateboarding the other day, and everyone looked terrible. I think the winner was a 13-year old girl who fell down a bunch. 

https://olympics.com/en/sports/

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I seriously can’t believe 3 on 3 Bball is now an Olympic sport. I just looked up the list of the sports, and there are some really absurd ones on there. Artistic swimming? 3 kinds of BMX biking?  2 kinds of kayaking?  I saw some skateboarding the other day, and everyone looked terrible. I think the winner was a 13-year old girl who fell down a bunch. 

https://olympics.com/en/sports/

Not enough karate for ya?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Amazing moment last night...

This was insane. I don’t know how that was physically possible… being in 5th and a body length back with 50m left and boom. Just… how?!?!!! That was an awe-some thing to watch.

Also, Ledecky in the anchor leg of the 4x200 freestyle. Franklin did not get them off to a good start, but the others recovered a bit of ground. Then Katie L. Thought she was gonna make it past the Chinese there, but she just barely ran out of pool. 🥈

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/28/2021 at 6:25 AM, Blokestradamus said:

She's been the victim of sexual abuse for years at the hands of the people that she's still representing. The mental toll that kind of abuse takes has led to so many people taking their own lives.

Simone has dealt with the public nature of the Nassar case fantastically, as have the other women that suffered abuse at his hand. She's also won events with broken toes in both feet. She is many things, weak is not one of them.

if that was the case then she should have never gone in the first place. You dont go from everything is fine to one screw up on the vault and be like im out. She got the yipps and couldn't handle failure.

She let her teammates down regardless of what her they say.

watching Dresser cry like a baby was also embarrassing, act like a man when you celebrate, like the Chinese weightlifters. Unfortunately now man are taught to act like women and vice versa and is why so many people are depressed and have anxiety because we are being taught to go against are our natures.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, Gugny said:

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/olympics/kerri-strugs-iconic-1996-olympic-moment-in-new-light-after-simone-biles-exit/85-5993cd43-c1ca-48cf-b726-57c4c6c70881

Pretty great reality check for those of us who remember Kerri Strug's 1996 performance in which she was reduced to using one leg and was still "encouraged," (forced) to go out and finish - which she did in agony.

I remember being in awe of it when it happened.  But ... to the author's point ... now that I'm a parent, I feel a lot differently.  A lot.

Biles said she made the announcement to protect her mind and body, rather than "just go out there and do what the world wants."

An Idaho father wrote a Facebook post commending Biles' decision to step down, saying the Olympic moment has made her an "even better example to our daughters."

"Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade," Byron Heath wrote in the post.

Heath said he once was excited watching Strug's famous one-leg vault, but on Tuesday he wasn't as inspired after re-watching the gymnastics champion along with his daughters as she landed her second vault and crumbled in tears and agony.

Its good to be tough and persevere, now we are being taught to be weak and everyone has there own truth, we wont be a strong nation long with this mindest.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Its good to be tough and persevere, now we are being taught to be weak and everyone has there own truth, we wont be a strong nation long with this mindest.

It's ***** gymnastics.

• Thank you (+1) 1