Olympics Thread

RaoulDuke79

13 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is anyone else as apathetic about Summer Olympics as me? Just too much going on in life. Used to love Summer Olympics. Now a big fan of Winter Olympics (when stuck inside during Feb). 

I am with you. I think the last Summer Olympics I watched was like 2000. 

That said, my sister just visited and is a hard core fan, and so got us into watching. So we have caught a little this year.  

31 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Wondering if she’s friends with Vontae Davis?

🔥

It’s pretty sad to see this rash of top-form athletes dropping out of competitions due to mental health issues. Osaka in tennis, now Biles? I try to have compassion for this kind of stuff, given the givens of my own stuff, but wow. That is a very lame excuse — that she wanted this Olympics to be about doing it for herself and it became about doing it for other people? What even is that?!?!! Everyone who competes in the games will tell you they do it to represent their country. And it can be a lot of pressure, for sure, but she went through the Trials just a few weeks ago. You gotta cowboy the f up and if she wasn’t feeling it, give the space to someone who’ll use it.

This is a SERIOUS stain on her legacy. Best ever? Nope. She folded.

This is a generation of fragility, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better.

Edited by UConn James

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

........ she shouldn’t be able to compete individually after quitting on the team.

I have no problem with that.   Its unfair to other participants who worked hard to get there to roll the dice on whether or not she will be in the right "head space" to compete individually.  Would hate to see an open space where there could have been another competitor.

Edited by Jauronimo

Does the woke nonsense and the racial crap really need to be everywhere, every day?

Take that garbage to twitter and give the mods a f'ing break with it.

As for Biles, I'd encourage her to finish out her individual competition in Tokyo.

Beyond that she would never again be a member of any team competition that I had a part of building.

Blaming your inability to handle competitive pressure on "mental health" is weak and an insult to those who are actually dealing with real mental health issues.

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

Blaming your inability to handle competitive pressure on "mental health" is weak and an insult to those who are actually dealing with real mental health issues.

Oddly there were no mental health issues when she accepted all the endorsement money. Funny how that works out.

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

........ she shouldn’t be able to compete individually after quitting on the team. 

Agreed, you are either having a problem or you aren't and the person who finished 4th in individual qualifying is blocked out by the 2 per country rule even though she qualified 4th best in the world. If Biles doesn't compete that girl gets to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

🔥

It’s pretty sad to see this rash of top-form athletes dropping out of competitions due to mental health issues. Osaka in tennis, now Biles? I try to have compassion for this kind of stuff, given the givens of my own stuff, but wow. That is a very lame excuse — that she wanted this Olympics to be about doing it for herself and it became about doing it for other people? What even is that?!?!! Everyone who competes in the games will tell you they do it to represent their country. And it can be a lot of pressure, for sure, but she went through the Trials just a few weeks ago. You gotta cowboy the f up and if she wasn’t feeling it, give the space to someone who’ll use it.

This is a SERIOUS stain on her legacy. Best ever? Nope. She folded.

This is a generation of fragility, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better.

I agree with everything you're saying but I think Osaka is a bad comparison. She was always ready for competition but she's just a quiet introvert who didn't want to be harangued by a bunch of knuckleheads after every time she played. She just wanted to kick asses and then go her own way; I can respect that.

This might sound stupid but the first comparison that popped in my head when Biles quit was Thurman Thomas bailing on his team in the middle of a Super Bowl because he didn't like how things were going.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree with everything you're saying but I think Osaka is a bad comparison. She was always ready for competition but she's just a quiet introvert who didn't want to be harangued by a bunch of knuckleheads after every time she played. She just wanted to kick asses and then go her own way; I can respect that.

This might sound stupid but the first comparison that popped in my head when Biles quit was Thurman Thomas bailing on his team in the middle of a Super Bowl because he didn't like how things were going.

It would be like Brady coming out in the pregame warmup, throwing a couple bad passes and then saying to everyone "I'm just not feeling it today boys, you'll be better off with the backup in there, I hafta focus on myself right now. Good luck!"

I feel bad for the girls on the team who are going to be asked about this now FOREVER and they are going to have to pretend to be OK with the silver they brought home because if they show even in the slightest that they are pissed they got quit on they are going to get thrown under the bus.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1