Olympics Thread

RaoulDuke79

On vacation so I'm checking in when I can. Saw the US Womens team lost to Sweden, which was a pretty big upset. Although Sweden always plays them tough. Should serve as a wakeup call.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Saw this

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/21/tokyo-olympics-covid-19-protocol-restrictions-journalists?fbclid=IwAR2TfjZcqQq_phmku69wbRMoOExO4noYE2yQw8zzJxiLYfhpUnFXBoK8qiU

Sounds like a "cf" on the sports media side - lots of pointless protocols that don't actually address things that cause spread like packed busses and crowded elevators

On 7/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

On vacation so I'm checking in when I can. Saw the US Womens team lost to Sweden, which was a pretty big upset. Although Sweden always plays them tough. Should serve as a wakeup call.

I think they are already wide awake.

Rui Hachimura at the front of the Japan contingent in the opening ceremony. He was at least a foot taller than everyone else. Looked funny.

With those striped shirts, the USA looks French....or like they're about to go sailing.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I’m surprised it was not the lowest rated show in the history of television.  Some of those infomercials about copper clad pots and pans would have gotten my click vote. 

It’s not that I’m anti-Olympics. I enjoy the games for the most part, some much more than others, of course. Walking with no fans felt so empty to me!  A lot of surprisingly interesting things at unexpected times. Hard not to like that. 

But I have never given a hoot about the opening ceremonies. That’s a time for them, a bore for me. Go out and do your thing and do your best, and be proud of what you accomplished forever. 

Edited by Augie
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is anyone else as apathetic about Summer Olympics as me? Just too much going on in life. Used to love Summer Olympics. Now a big fan of Winter Olympics (when stuck inside during Feb). 

We enjoy the gymnastics (especially my gymnast wife and DIL) and the swimming in the Summer. Hoops is usually more fun than this time around. Those “joke sports” do nothing for me. That’s kind of embarrassing to the games, IMO. 

I enjoy the winter for the skiing and some of the skating. Very true that February has fewer outside options to keep me away from the TV. 

Edited by Augie
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is anyone else as apathetic about Summer Olympics as me? Just too much going on in life. Used to love Summer Olympics. Now a big fan of Winter Olympics (when stuck inside during Feb). 

I'm the same... just can't get into it at all. The winter games are where its at, for me anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Watching the table tennis now (this is NOT your mother’s ping pong in the basement!) and it’s ridiculous! It seems physically impossible! 

I saw a bit of the mixed doubles final between China and Japan. One of the shots near on spun away from the player at 90 degrees. 

• Like (+1) 1