Another team wins a major sports championship for the first time in many decades/ever...Milwaukee Bucks. When is it our turn??

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I honestly don't really give a ***** that they cheated with the trash cans.  Cheating has always been part of the game.  Cheating with electronics is what crosses the line for me. 

I am convinced that that midget, Altuve, was wearing a wire.  

Oh?

image.png.c215253f7c0dbc9f3a9037ab723760c6.png

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't care that they cheated because the Yankees, Red Sox, and every other team that was good was and still is cheating.  Cheating is foundational to the game and the line is constantly being pushed. If Altuve was wearing a wire and getting tips as to what pitch with an artificially high spin rate was coming from and HGH riddled pitcher, I still don't care.  

What have they done since they got caught? Nearly won a second title and sit in first place currently.  

They are a great team.  They were a great team when they cheated their way to a WS title.  Very similar to the Patriots, Barry Bonds, ARod, etc.  Without cheating, all would have likely won/been elite.

The spin rate BS is being blown way out of proportion.  Sticky stuff has been part of baseball since 1904.  Wearing a wire is on an entirely different level.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They are a great team.  They were a great team when they cheated their way to a WS title.  Very similar to the Patriots, Barry Bonds, ARod, etc.  Without cheating, all would have likely won/been elite.

The spin rate BS is being blown way out of proportion.  Sticky stuff has been part of baseball since 1904.  Wearing a wire is on an entirely different level.

Breakdown the levels of cheating for me.  How long until allegedly wearing a wire or stealing signals via electronic means is grandfathered in and no longer a big deal?

13 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't care that they cheated because the Yankees, Red Sox, and every other team that was good was and still is cheating.  Cheating is foundational to the game and the line is constantly being pushed. If Altuve was wearing a wire and getting tips as to what pitch with an artificially high spin rate was coming from and HGH riddled pitcher, I still don't care.  

What have they done since they got caught? Nearly won a second title and sit in first place currently.  

Cheating is foundational to pro-sport. I know fans all react to statements like that with horror but it is, I'm afraid, a fact. 

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Breakdown the levels of cheating for me.  How long until allegedly wearing a wire or stealing signals via electronic means is grandfathered in and no longer a big deal?

I'll do nothing of the sort.

As I said in an earlier post, using electronics crosses the imaginary line (to me) and I hope it would never be grandfathered in.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:47 AM, Big Turk said:

Over the past several years we have watched teams that have either never won a championship before or won for the first time in many decades in major sports hoist the trophy in their respective sport:

Golden State Warriors

Cleveland Cavs

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Nationals

Houston Astros

Toronto Raptors

St. Louis Blues

Washington Capitals

Chicago Cubs

Boston Red Sox

KC Royals

I am super happy for these teams and their fans that they get to celebrate but I can't help feel a little bit jealous...when is it our turn with the Bills or Sabres?? 

The Bills are close, sadly Allen will be in his prime the same time Mahomes is which will make it tough to break threw but there should be some good battles.

the Sabres, I am sorry to say are a hot mess in the NHL.  Just look what Hall did with them for like 2/3 of the year he doubled in 8 games with the Bruins.  Their only other star player also wants out.. The Sabres would be lucky be a 500 team. 

27 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Bills are close, sadly Allen will be in his prime the same time Mahomes is which will make it tough to break threw but there should be some good battles.

the Sabres, I am sorry to say are a hot mess in the NHL.  Just look what Hall did with them for like 2/3 of the year he doubled in 8 games with the Bruins.  Their only other star player also wants out.. The Sabres would be lucky be a 500 team. 

Well, just because they are contemporaries doesn't mean that Mahomes will be in every Super Bowl. Some years they will miss. And there is at least a decent chance that Allen could eclipse Machines in terms of talent...he has far more room to grow than Mahomes does at this point.

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They won 4 WS between 2004 and 2018.

The bigger problem is when OP said he was super happy for those teams and their fans when he should have said ***** the Red Sox.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I also find it interesting that the Bucks beat the Suns.  Both came into the league same year (1967).  Bucks won a coin flip and got Lew Alcindor.  Suns got Neal Walk (the "Human Sweater").  I think the Suns are the Sabres' doppelganger.  Both teams entered their respective leagues around the same time (late '60's early '70's), had some early success (Suns lost in NBA finals to Celtics, Sabres lost NHL finals to Flyers), were generally good but not great teams for decades, had one more run at a championship (Suns with Barkley, Sabres with Hasek),  both went into an ugly 10 year funk - and there the stories diverge.  Suns look like they will compete for a title for at least a couple more years while the Sabres are an ongoing dumpster fire. 

Rochester Royals have an interesting history.  Moved to Cincinnati and became Cincinnati Royals.  Got hometown hero Oscar Robertson but didn't win anything.  Became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, then the Kansas City Kings, then the Sacramento Kings (with fellow California NBA team the Los Angeles Clippers, formerly San Diego Clippers, formerly your Buffalo Braves).  

I had totally forgotten about Neal Walk. Was the nickname because he sweated a lot? Interesting post-NBA history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Walk

As for the Rochester Royals: I just looked at their roster and saw they had Red Holzman (later Knicks NBA championship coach) and George Mikan's little brother on those teams. Oh, and they played in the Western Conference ...

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Well, just because they are contemporaries doesn't mean that Mahomes will be in every Super Bowl. Some years they will miss. And there is at least a decent chance that Allen could eclipse Machines in terms of talent...he has far more room to grow than Mahomes does at this point.

Why I said great battles.. He could break threw he may not.. let’s not forget if Watson gets on a competent team he also is a great QB..  Point is the Bills are close but the Sabre’s are not.

9 hours ago, Rico said:

The bigger problem is when OP said he was super happy for those teams and their fans when he should have said ***** the Red Sox.

I think he meant when they finally broke threw after like 80 years without a championship. 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:30 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think the Ravens have a shot too. It is Chiefs, Bills and Browns in tier 1 for me and then Ravens and Titans in tier 2. 

You think the Browns are tier one? Interesting. I hadn't really followed them this offseason. Wow.

Looks like an interesting season this year. Glorious to be real players in the playoff picture in Buffalo.

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Great job Bucks—see you in 50 years!!

Not a pro hoops fan at all, but this has been a fantastic story. 

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You think the Browns are tier one? Interesting. I hadn't really followed them this offseason. Wow.

Looks like an interesting season this year. Glorious to be real players in the playoff picture in Buffalo. 

I do. I know winning the offseason is a bit of a Rex Ryan sized joke around here, and not without reason, but Cleveland's weakness last year was back 7 on defense and they have been aggressive in attacking that in FA and got my guy in the draft in Greg Newsome who I think starts off the bus at corner. 

They are obviously more limited at Quarterback than Buffalo and KC but Baker can play and aside from QB it is, on paper at least, the strongest roster in the NFL.

22 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I had totally forgotten about Neal Walk. Was the nickname because he sweated a lot? Interesting post-NBA history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Walk

As for the Rochester Royals: I just looked at their roster and saw they had Red Holzman (later Knicks NBA championship coach) and George Mikan's little brother on those teams. Oh, and they played in the Western Conference ...

Re Neal Walk.  No, it was because he was one of the hairiest humans ever.  I was I could post a photo but don't know how to do that without help.