Eric Moulds giving back to Buffalo

I know this is an unpopular Bills opinion:  As great a receiver as Moulds was, to be honest, I think the success he had with Bledsoe in 2002 kind of went to his head a little...I just remember as time went on, he seemed more committed to drawing PI flags than he was in making the all-out effort to catch passes. Every week, it just seemed like he was whining to officials about pass interference, real and imagined.  I would get so frustrated as he would throw his hands up in the air in disgust, as a possibly catchable ball would wiz past him.  It annoyed me so much, that I still remember it now. Who knows, maybe it was the result of his body getting older, but the effort just didn't seem to be there often enough, for me to put him in the elite category, among Bills receivers. He was as physically gifted as anyone...but the effort just wasn't always there.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually,  somewhere I have an Eric "Shogun" Moulds signed Bills mini-helmet...........I got it after his second season for $10 cheaper than a new,  unsullied one. 😆

The best part of this thread was @Buffalo716 calling him "Mo"

It wasn't really mo.. like curly Larry and Moe lol it was more spelling and abbreviating the first two letters of his last name  

M.O

It's an abbreviation

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Partly it should be on him for when he signed his renewal deal with Buffalo in 2001.  Perhaps it was the best deal but certainly not best place to go for stats.   Same when he agreed to be traded to Texans - did he really think David Carr would help his career?

His best years were in 1988 (Kelly), 2000 (Johnson) and 2002 (Bledsoe).

TRANSACTIONS

JUL 25 2007 Signed a 1 year $820k contract with Tennessee (TEN)

FEB 28 2007 Released by Houston (HOU)

APR 5 2006 Traded to Houston (HOU) from Buffalo (BUF) for 2006 5th round pick (#134)

FEB 16 2001 Signed a 6 year $37.489 million contract with Buffalo (BUF)

Friday September 8, 2000 - After speaking with Joe Pendry and all three quarterbacks, Moulds said he isn't frustrated by the double teams he is getting or by his contract situation.

Thursday September 7, 2000 - He stormed out of the locker room on Sunday and isn't talking to reporters.

MAY 15 1996 Signed a 5 year $5.06 million contract with Buffalo (BUF)

APR 20 1996 Drafted by Buffalo (BUF): Round 1 (#24 overall)

1998 was Flutie and Johnson as his QB.......not Jim Kelly.

Unfortunately about half of his career highlights came in 1998 alone..........and there were plenty of dimes in there.........the perception that the Bills QB situation was bad from 1998-2000 is wrong.    It was bad in 1997 but he was useless at that point anyway.  

What was left of his "prime" was over in 2003 when he got injured........which had nothing to do with QB play.......after that he still got fed the ball around 10x per game but just couldn't do as much with it.   

Most of the yards that he left on the table were in his first two seasons when his head was up his ass.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It wasn't really mo.. like curly Larry and Moe lol it was more spelling and abbreviating the first two letters of his last name  

M.O

It's an abbreviation

It was literally "Mo's" that I quoted........but I'm just bustin' your balls because Moulds was a pretty arrogant character who I don't see accepting a goofy nickname.

As I've said........the big regret in his career is not showing up ready to play football as a rookie:

1996 draft/season first round WR yardage production

Terry Glenn   1132 

Eddie Kennison  924 

Keyshawn Johnson 844

Marvin Harrison  836

Eric Moulds 279

Moulds had more career production than most of them but they had a window in 1996 and him being the only 1st round WR who didn't show up to play really screwed the Bills and helped cause the step back in 1997.    

And fwiw.........he ended up with 1500 less career yards than 1996 second rounder Muhsin Muhammad.........and Muhammad had some doozy QB'd seasons.

The underrated guy from that class was Terry Glenn............the most talented of the bunch(including Harrison) but could not stay healthy.     Even so he only ended up with about 1,000 career yards less than Moulds and was still dynamic and dominating when Moulds was physically pedering out in 2005.

Moulds is probably the most overrated Bills player ever.    Very good player for a 5-6 year period........but to act like he was second or third only to studs like Randy Moss and TO is fantasy.    Hell, Joe Horn might have been better in his prime and the only reason he's still remembered is for the cell phone TD celebration and now because his son was just drafted.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was literally "Mo's" that I quoted........but I'm just bustin' your balls because Moulds was a pretty arrogant character who I don't see accepting a goofy nickname.

As I've said........the big regret in his career is not showing up ready to play football as a rookie:

1996 draft/season first round WR yardage production

Terry Glenn   1132 

Eddie Kennison  924 

Keyshawn Johnson 844

Marvin Harrison  836

Eric Moulds 279

Moulds had more career production than most of them but they had a window in 1996 and him being the only 1st round WR who didn't show up to play really screwed the Bills and helped cause the step back in 1997.    

And fwiw.........he ended up with 1500 less career yards than 1996 second rounder Muhsin Muhammad.........and Muhammad had some doozy QB'd seasons.

The underrated guy from that class was Terry Glenn............the most talented of the bunch(including Harrison) but could not stay healthy.     Even so he only ended up with about 1,000 career yards less than Moulds for his and was still dynamic and dominating when Moulds was physically pedering out in 2005.

Moulds is probably the most overrated Bills player ever.    Very good player for a 5-6 year period........but to act like he was second or third only to studs like Randy Moss and TO is fantasy.    Hell, Joe Horn might have been better in his prime and the only reason he's still remembered is for the cell phone TD celebration and now because his son was just drafted.

I'm a football coach 

Not an English major. 

I was Abbreviating his last name to M.O which was autocorrected to mo's because I'm speaking on my phone and moulds doesn't get picked up properly 

Edited by Buffalo716

21 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I would’ve loved to see what Moulds could’ve done on a team with a top QB.  Not Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Flutie, R. Johnson and Stone Hendge Bledsoe.  

What if he played with Favre, P.Manning, Brady, or even Elway at the end of his career?

Ya don’t undastand Charlie, I coulda been somebody, playin at the gaadin, Not a one way ticket to palookaville..

Pretty much wraps up Moulds.  I hope maybe the local media gives him more opportunities to be remembered or interviewed by WGR, etc. as he really was one of the few shining spots in a lot of bad years.

At least he didn’t yell like Donuts, STELLA, STELLA!!

Outstanding Guns.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, Buffalo716 said:

If he got to play with Jim Kelly for 7 plus years when Kelly was prime

He would be a Hall of famer

Mo's talent was unreal.. rivaled only to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss back in the Day

I agree with you 716  with the comparisons to Owens + Moss.  I'll use another, kind of reverse comparison. He was good enough to make Losman

look AMOST good.                                                                                           Go Bills in 2021

On 7/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Rumor has it, this is the house we was building when traded to Houston in 2006. It sold after completion right away in 2007.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77-Brownstone-Ct-East-Amherst-NY-14051/80275495_zpid/

I think I saw him somewhere around 2009. I lie to you not .. I was behind him at a concession stand at a UB basketball game... I just remember playfully asking him "man what you doin here". He was like "watching basketball my man, I still live in Amherst". I couldn't believe he offered that info but hey. He was down to earth as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, Buffalo716 said:

If he got to play with Jim Kelly for 7 plus years when Kelly was prime

He would be a Hall of famer

Mo's talent was unreal.. rivaled only to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss back in the Day

Absolutely. I think some may have thought you were exaggerating by the reactions but I even remember a Sports Illustrated article during his peak that argued that Moulds was right there with those exact two. It's not a crazy thought, it's been discussed before. He's like the Allen Robinson of his generation - nobody really talks about him but the players and hardcore fans know he's one of the most talented dudes at his position.