Eric Moulds giving back to Buffalo

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Moulds always reminded me of Terrell Owens. Crisp route runner, amazing hands, and built like a Mack truck. I wish he was drafted in this era, he would’ve been amazing alongside Diggs. He is 5 yards short of a 10k yard career which is a shame. Definitely the most physically imposing Bills receiver of all time. 

Edit: I’m also going to go out on a limb and say that if Moulds had JK throwing to him the way Reed did then I could see him being in the argument for the best ever. 

You basically said everything I said in my original first few posts lol 

That if he had Jim Kelly throwing him the ball he would have been a Hall of famer... That he was rivaled to only Terrell Owens or Randy Moss back in the Day 

That he's only 5 yards short of 10K with a mess of qbs lol

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You basically said everything I said in my original first few posts lol 

That if he had Jim Kelly throwing him the ball he would have been a Hall of famer... That he was rivaled to only Terrell Owens or Randy Moss back in the Day 

That he's only 5 yards short of 10K with a mess of qbs lol

Great minds think alike and all of that jazz. 😅

Sorry, man. Sometimes I impulsively post before reading what others said first. I’m just very opinionated on this matter. Moulds was a Bill when I was just really getting into football and still remains my absolute favorite offensive player of all time (Takeo Spikes is my defensive one.) 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

My favorite Bills WR. I thought he still lived in Amherst

Rumor has it, this is the house we was building when traded to Houston in 2006. It sold after completion right away in 2007.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77-Brownstone-Ct-East-Amherst-NY-14051/80275495_zpid/

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If he got to play with Jim Kelly for 7 plus years when Kelly was prime

He would be a Hall of famer

Mo's talent was unreal.. rivaled only to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss back in the Day

First of all.........my guess is Eric Moulds wouldn't have appreciated someone calling him "Mo"..........he nicknamed himself "Shogun"!      

As for what *could* have been.........the flip side is that his choke job on that college girl might have ended his career before it started in this era.

The reality of his relationship with Jim Kelly is that he wasted his one year with him.    Kelly was frustrated with his lack of effort/preparation........they desperately needed a deep threat for that offense.   People forget that team was considered a favorite to represent the AFC in the SB that year.     But Moulds was too busy evading child support and roughing up local college girls.    The Bills team attorney was busier working for Moulds than Moulds was working for his pay in his first two seasons.

He had a GREAT breakout season.........but after that he quickly and steadily dropped off.    Worked harder than smart.........got stiff.......lost speed and quickness and QUICKLY fell out of any perceived rivalry with Owens and Moss.    Perhaps you are just shooting from the hip but it's literally absurd to not mention Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison above Moulds as a talent.  😆  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First of all.........my guess is Eric Moulds wouldn't have appreciated someone calling him "Mo"..........he nicknamed himself "Shogun"!      

As for what *could* have been.........the flip side is that his choke job on that college girl might have ended his career before it started in this era.

The reality of his relationship with Jim Kelly is that he wasted his one year with him.    Kelly was frustrated with his lack of effort/preparation........they desperately needed a deep threat for that offense.   People forget that team was considered a favorite to represent the AFC in the SB that year.     But Moulds was too busy evading child support and roughing up local college girls.    The Bills team attorney was busier working for Moulds than Moulds was working for his pay in his first two seasons.

He had a GREAT breakout season.........but after that he quickly and steadily dropped off.    Worked harder than smart.........got stiff.......lost speed and quickness and QUICKLY fell out of any perceived rivalry with Owens and Moss.    Perhaps you are just shooting from the hip but it's literally absurd to not mention Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison above Moulds as a talent.  😆  

I would never consider Jerry Rice and Eric moulds from the same era.. even though their paths may have briefly collided

Him and Marvin Harrison got to play with Hall of Fame quarterbacks throughout their career

Jim Kelly was done his final season in Buffalo.. and he went through the likes of Kelly Holcomb and Alex Van pelt.. and the Ghost of bledsoe  

He put up very good stats with not a lot of very good QB play

Edited by Buffalo716

11 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Eric may have been the best pure athlete to play in Buffalo.  The front office hit a home run when they drafted him but failed to put even an average team on the field for a good part of his career.  I hate to see a great player wasted like that.  I was lucky enough to see most of the home games during his time in Buffalo.  Opponents always gave him a lot of attention but most times it did not matter.  He made contested balls luck easy.

The last Bills game I saw in Buffalo was Thanksgiving weekend 1996, Kelly’s last season.  Bills clobbered the Jets and Moulds had a kickoff return TD.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would never consider Jerry Rice and Eric moulds from the same era.. even though their paths may have briefly collided

Him and Marvin Harrison got to play with Hall of Fame quarterbacks throughout their career

Jim Kelly was done his final season in Buffalo.. and he went through the likes of Kelly Holcomb and Alex Van pelt.. and the Ghost of bledsoe  

He put up very good stats with not a lot of very good QB play

Again..........wouldn't have mattered who Eric Moulds QB was in his first two seasons......he wasn't committed.........and that ruined his chance of being any kind of "accumulator" type HOF player.

The rest of that class of 1996 came out firing.

The most talented of the group wasn't Moulds or even Harrison...........it was Terry Glenn.

And the only talent Moulds had on Harrison was size............Harrison was a great route runner,  great speed and quickness had great hands and his acrobatics gave him a huge catch radius despite his size.    Far better player. 

The Bills not getting Marvin Harrison out of that draft was a disastrous bad break..........he was pretty much considered to be the consensus mock pick to the Bills leading up to it.   

Even with A QB in Jim Harbaugh with lower completion % and a much lower yards per attempt than Jim Kelly.......Marvin Harrison put up over 800 yards at over 13 ypr as a rookie.    That was what they desperately needed.   You can say Kelly was "done" in 1996 but that's not true.......he was inconsistent.......but a good deal of that inconsistency had to do with having teams squatting on his punchless WR corps.    

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again..........wouldn't have mattered who Eric Moulds QB was in his first two seasons......he wasn't committed.........and that ruined his chance of being any kind of "accumulator" type HOF player.

The rest of that class of 1996 came out firing.

The most talented of the group wasn't Moulds or even Harrison...........it was Terry Glenn.

And the only talent Moulds had on Harrison was size............Harrison was a great route runner,  great speed and quickness had great hands and his acrobatics gave him a huge catch radius despite his size.    Far better player. 

The Bills not getting Marvin Harrison out of that draft was a disastrous bad break..........he was pretty much considered to be the consensus mock pick to the Bills leading up to it.   

Even with A QB in Jim Harbaugh with lower completion % and a much lower yards per attempt than Jim Kelly.......Marvin Harrison put up over 800 yards at over 13 ypr as a rookie.    That was what they desperately needed.   You can say Kelly was "done" in 1996 but that's not true.......he was inconsistent.......but a good deal of that inconsistency had to do with having teams squatting on his punchless WR corps.    

Even if you take away those two years you say he wasn't trying.. still had at least 4 years inept QB play .. 

You're playing devil's advocate but you're not willing to see that he did not have steady quarterback play throughout his career  

Anybody who looks objectively would agree to that. Had a season where he had 67 catches and average 20 yards a catch... That is SuperStar numbers  today or 20 years ago ... He was capable of putting up 1,300+ yd a year with a capable quarterback.. which he did not have for most of his career 

Marvin Harrison would not have gone to the Hall of Fame here playing with Kelly Holcomb Alex Van pelt and the Ghost of Drew bledsoe 

And if you gave moulds Peyton Manning for 12 years he would certainly be heavy in the conversation.. him and Andre both average 59 yards per game in their bills career.. one had immensely better quarterback play 

What Eric moulds did not have was the longevity of reed and a long time QB partner .. 

Edited by Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Even if you take away those two years you say he wasn't trying.. still had at least 4 years inept QB play .. 

You're playing devil's advocate but you're not willing to see that he did not have steady quarterback play throughout his career  

Anybody who looks objectively would agree to that. Had a season where he had 67 catches and average 20 yards a catch... That is SuperStar numbers  today or 20 years ago ... He was capable of putting up 1,300 yd a year with a capable quarterback.. which he did not have for most of his career 

Marvin Harrison would not have gone to the Hall of Fame here playing with Kelly Holcomb Alex Van pelt and the Ghost of Drew bledsoe 

And if you gave moulds Peyton Manning for 12 years he would certainly be heavy in the conversation.. him and Andre both average 59 yards per game in their bills career.. one had immensely better quarterback play 

What Eric moulds did not have was the longevity of reed or Jim Kelly for a career

Moulds great year is undeniable.   To me, it's still the best season a Bills WR has ever had.   It was AMAZING to watch.  

But he surprised everyone when he came to camp in 1999 much bigger......noticeably thicker muscled in the legs..........and he never had the same speed or quickness as 1998 again.

That was just DUMB.

1998 ended up being a one-off and much of what followed was hype based on something he never was again.

I have heard the notion that he would have been better with better QB's..........but the hole in that theory is that Moulds really struggled to separate on most routes from around 2000 on.    

Would a marksman like Peyton Manning have wanted to throw contested jump-balls to Moulds all days like the Bills QB were inclined to do??     I don't think so.    In fact,  I'm pretty certain that wouldn't have flown with the HOF QB.

Ultimately, Moulds got FED as the #1 WR for the Bills.    Balls he might not have had come his way on a better team.   His numbers may not even have been AS GOOD on a better team with a better QB etc..

What prevented Moulds from putting up more numbers wasn't QB play in Buffalo..........it was the gray stuff between his ears.

This was also during a non-football watching period in my life, but I actually have a white Moulds jersey in the closet. It was a gift in XXL, so its fricking huge. I moved back to Buffalo in 2004, got back into watching the Bills a year or so later. I wish I had watched him play.

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If he got to play with Jim Kelly for 7 plus years when Kelly was prime

He would be a Hall of famer

Mo's talent was unreal.. rivaled only to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss back in the Day

FACTS.  Took him a few years to get right, but when his talent/knowledge merged he was the goods.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have spoken ad nauseam about how great a Bill he was and how under appreciated he is in the football world, in general.

For the last 8 years of his Buffalo career he put up superlatives of about 80/1000 with an assortment of men who were, respectfully, JAQBs.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would’ve loved to see what Moulds could’ve done on a team with a top QB.  Not Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Flutie, R. Johnson and Stone Hendge Bledsoe.  

What if he played with Favre, P.Manning, Brady, or even Elway at the end of his career?

Ya don’t undastand Charlie, I coulda been somebody, playin at the gaadin, Not a one way ticket to palookaville..

Pretty much wraps up Moulds.  I hope maybe the local media gives him more opportunities to be remembered or interviewed by WGR, etc. as he really was one of the few shining spots in a lot of bad years.

At least he didn’t yell like Donuts, STELLA, STELLA!!

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Partly it should be on him for when he signed his renewal deal with Buffalo in 2001.  Perhaps it was the best deal but certainly not best place to go for stats.   Same when he agreed to be traded to Texans - did he really think David Carr would help his career?

His best years were in 1988 (Kelly), 2000 (Johnson) and 2002 (Bledsoe).

TRANSACTIONS

JUL 25 2007 Signed a 1 year $820k contract with Tennessee (TEN)

FEB 28 2007 Released by Houston (HOU)

APR 5 2006 Traded to Houston (HOU) from Buffalo (BUF) for 2006 5th round pick (#134)

Eric Moulds agreed to a contract with Houston and said the Texans have worked out a trade to acquire him from the Buffalo Bills.

"Yeah, it's done," said Greg Johnson, Moulds' personal adviser. "I'm ecstatic. I'm relieved, happy and thankful that all parties came to an agreement."

Moulds, who had the Bills' permission to seek a trade, agreed to a four-year contract. It's not clear what the Texans traded to Buffalo, but it's believed to be a fourth- or fifth-round pick in this month's draft.

FEB 16 2001 Signed a 6 year $37.489 million contract with Buffalo (BUF)

Eric Moulds, who had been eligible for unrestricted free agency next month, signed a six-year contract with the Buffalo Bills Friday that reportedly will make him among the highest-paid receivers in the NFL.

"I could have gone on the free agent market, but I wanted to be part of something big with the Buffalo Bills," Moulds said. "I always wanted to remain a Buffalo Bill."

"I always said that we can win with both of those guys [Flutie or Johnson]," Moulds said. "That's not my decision to make."

Friday September 8, 2000 - After speaking with Joe Pendry and all three quarterbacks, Moulds said he isn't frustrated by the double teams he is getting or by his contract situation.

Thursday September 7, 2000 - He stormed out of the locker room on Sunday and isn't talking to reporters.

MAY 15 1996 Signed a 5 year $5.06 million contract with Buffalo (BUF)

APR 20 1996 Drafted by Buffalo (BUF): Round 1 (#24 overall)

4 hours ago, eball said:

Apparently a disgruntled @BADOLBILZ had an autograph request declined by Eric Moulds early in his career.

Actually,  somewhere I have an Eric "Shogun" Moulds signed Bills mini-helmet...........I got it after his second season for $10 cheaper than a new,  unsullied one. 😆

The best part of this thread was @Buffalo716 calling him "Mo"

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1