Jets coach, Greg Knapp, fighting for his life after accident Edit: Died, RIP

Beast

Man, I hope he recovers.  Just awful.

I have a lot of friends who are passionate about biking.  I tell them they’re nuts for riding on main roads because cars and trucks remain undefeated in their matchups vs. bikes.  They don’t like it when I say that because they think the laws should protect bicyclists and punish vehicle drivers.  I tell them it’s irrelevant who the law protects when you’re in a coma, shatter your spine, or can’t walk again.

• Like (+1) 6

16 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I won't ride a bike in traffic. I don't trust drivers won't kill me. 

To many morons talking on their phone/texting instead of not being life threatening to others, they in reality, just don’t care about others, it’s a part of America that does not shine a bright light on us. This stuff happens every day…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

To many morons talking on their phone/texting instead of not being life threatening to others, they in reality, just don’t care about others, it’s a part of America that does not shine a bright light on us. This stuff happens every day…

I could never understand the talking/texting while driving. I get that many people don't care about other people but don't these morons realize they are also putting themselves in danger. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I could never understand the talking/texting while driving. I get that many people don't care about other people but don't these morons realize they are also putting themselves in danger. 

Talking on a phone is just a money grab by the government when you think about it. I get why you shouldn’t text. That’s obvious. But a phone up by my ear? Why is that illegal when I can shovel fast food in my mouth, play with the radio stations, women can put makeup on while going to work, etc., without being ticketed and fined?

Edited by Beast

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Talking on a phone is just a money grab by the government when you think about it. I get why you shouldn’t text. That’s obvious. But a phone up by my ear? Why is that illegal when I can shovel fast food in my mouth, play with the radio stations, women can put makeup on while going to work, etc., without being ticketed and fined?

I see your point. You can talk on the phone and still pay attention to the road but texting is just insane. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

As one who commutes ~120 miles/day, I can say with confidence that talking on the phone whilst driving is a distraction.  Every time I see someone either driving too slowly in the middle lane or veering into another lane, I look at them as I pass them and the vast majority of the time, they're either texting or have a phone held up to their ear.

And I'll defer to @LeviF, here, but I think shoveling food, playing with the radio and putting makeup on would all fall under the "distracted driving," umbrella.

I will opine that the seatbelt law IS a money grab.  An adult not wearing a seatbelt puts one person at risk ... him/herself.  There is no way that the choice to not wear a seatbelt would cause harm to anyone else.

I'm not saying that it's not smart to wear a seatbelt.  But the law is an absolute money grab.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As one who commutes ~120 miles/day, I can say with confidence that talking on the phone whilst driving is a distraction.  Every time I see someone either driving too slowly in the middle lane or veering into another lane, I look at them as I pass them and the vast majority of the time, they're either texting or have a phone held up to their ear.

And I'll defer to @LeviF, here, but I think shoveling food, playing with the radio and putting makeup on would all fall under the "distracted driving," umbrella.

I will opine that the seatbelt law IS a money grab.  An adult not wearing a seatbelt puts one person at risk ... him/herself.  There is no way that the choice to not wear a seatbelt would cause harm to anyone else.

I'm not saying that it's not smart to wear a seatbelt.  But the law is an absolute money grab.

I can agree with a lot of that.

i will say this....if a person is caught texting while driving I believe their license should be suspended for at least one year. No questions asked. 

Just now, Beast said:

I can agree with a lot of that.

i will say this....if a person is caught texting while driving I believe their license should be suspended for at least one year. No questions asked. 

I was never much of a text whilst driving kind of guy.  But when I got my motorcycle license and began riding, I quickly became a "never text and drive," kind of guy.

The texting drivers are THE reason I sold my bike and stopped riding.  They're a-holes.

It's worse than impaired driving.  One literally CANNOT look at the road and text at the same time.  There is no way around them taking their eyes completely off the road when they text.  It's crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was never much of a text whilst driving kind of guy.  But when I got my motorcycle license and began riding, I quickly became a "never text and drive," kind of guy.

The texting drivers are THE reason I sold my bike and stopped riding.  They're a-holes.

It's worse than impaired driving.  One literally CANNOT look at the road and text at the same time.  There is no way around them taking their eyes completely off the road when they text.  It's crazy.

100%

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Having to hold the phone up to your ear is probably too distracting/using one of your hands, the hands free calling should be fine I mean it's not really any different than having a conversation with someone in the car at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Having to hold the phone up to your ear is probably too distracting/using one of your hands, the hands free calling should be fine I mean it's not really any different than having a conversation with someone in the car at that point.

My point being is there are many other things people do in their vehicle, while driving, that are much more reckless and go without punishment.

I do quite a bit of road cycling (logged 4500 miles in the past year) and love it, but it is dangerous as hell, even here in Southern California where there's tons of bike lanes and cyclists out and about.  If you let your guard down for a minute, you can find yourself dead.  I've had multiple instances where I've nearly been killed because of idiot drivers (and sometimes other cyclists blowing through stop signs/lights, passing/cutting me off without a heads up, etc.).  Two weeks ago I'm sitting on my bike in the right of two left hand turn lanes at a busy intersection waiting for a light.  I was about a mile from home and totally pooped after logging 60+ miles, so I wasn't in the sharpest mental state.  The light turns green, the car on my left starts pulling out, blocking my view, and I mindlessly pedal out into the intersection.  The car slams his breaks and I look left and a speeding car comes barreling through the red light (a young woman with her face in her phone) and misses my front tire by an inch.  If I had pulled out a little quicker, I'd be dead. 

All joking aside about my "love" for the Spandex Mafia I think I did mention a earlier this year that the Exec VP and co-founder of the company I've worked for the past 20 was killed in a bike accident last December.  This was not just some VP way up the chain but as a VP myself (yeah we hand them out like candy) he was a good friend who I interacted with regularly.  He was not wearing a helmet for whatever reason.  He was a big guy 6'7" probably 300lbs.  Once he went over the handlebars I assume momentum took over.  

Now good friend or not spandex dude get's in my way when I'm driving.........sorry sorry. RIP big guy. 

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Jets coach, Greg Knapp, fighting for his life after accident Edit: Died
  • Chandler#81 changed the title to Jets coach, Greg Knapp, fighting for his life after accident Edit: Died