Records are made to be broken - From JK to JA

Like some on this board, I started liking the Bills in the late eighties when JK had the reins. He’s all my time favorite Bill.

There’s nothing earth shattering in this article (link below) but it talks about how he thinks JA is going to break his Bills records. That’s awesome. He’s been pretty complimentary of JA throughout, he’s even liked a couple other QBs (initially) between him and JA, but to come out and give record breaking talk is another evidence of the potential ride we’re on with JA.

Let’s just take JK’s passing record for example. JA is still about 26,000 passing yards away. I know that’s not a monumental hurdle but it will still take several years to surpass that. That’s kind of my point. When’s the last time we as Bills fans could look so far into the future and it look so bright???

I was talking with my son the other day and it was really weird when we said it out loud that we’ve been to the playoffs three out of the past four years. Not that I didn’t already realize it but it just took it to a deeper level of, “Wow, we really are in different times”. And the cool thing is, barring something really bizarre, we should be in these times consistently for quite a while because of #17.

Go ahead, JA, break all of JK’s records, including winning a SB. Records were made to be broken and us Bills fans will continue to enjoy the ride.

From JK to JA. Go Bills!

Here’s the link if you’d like to read the article: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jim-kelly-convinced-josh-allen-will-break-all-of-his-franchise-passing-records-with-bills/

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With a 17 game season and most likely going to an 18 game season at some point I think you will see many records broken. I doubt anyone will break OJ's 2003 yards rushing in just 14 games. That is the gold standard for RB's. It's also the real single season rushing record. Sorry Eric.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

With a 17 game season and most likely going to an 18 game season at some point I think you will see many records broken. I doubt anyone will break OJ's 2003 yards rushing in just 14 games. That is the gold standard for RB's. It's also the real single season rushing record. Sorry Eric.

What Juice accomplished that year was insane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Thanks for sharing. I get what you’re saying.

That said, you still need consistency and longevity to break records. Especially when you’re talking about JK records. It’s cool that JA is heading in that direction. We haven’t had this kind of direction in a QB since JK.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

The two hardest for him will be all time Bills wins by a QB and AFC Titles.  There's no reason he shouldn't shatter all his passing records in today's offensive happy game.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The two hardest for him will be all time Bills wins by a QB and AFC Titles.  Statistically there's no reason he shouldn't shatter all his records in today's offensive happy game.

Good thoughts, Doc!

I do believe he can get the all time wins as a Bill. It would be awesome if he could somehow break AFC title appearances and wins for a Bills QB.

So cool after all these years to have so much hope for the future going into year 4 for a Bills QB.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

With a 17 game season and most likely going to an 18 game season at some point I think you will see many records broken. I doubt anyone will break OJ's 2003 yards rushing in just 14 games. That is the gold standard for RB's.

Yes. This is a situation where they have to divide it between eras, as the league adds more and more games.

Realize there’s always a push by the media to have new record-breakers and to hold up the jock straps of current players for us all to sniff, but it’s categorically unfair to older gens who will lose their records just because current guys play more games per season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The two hardest for him will be all time Bills wins by a QB and AFC Titles.  There's no reason he shouldn't shatter all his passing records in today's offensive happy game.

I don't know if all time wins is that big a hurdle AFC Titles for sure though. Josh just needs 74 more wins to pass Kelly and if Josh plays for at least 10 more years he just needs to average 7.4 wins a season and is currently averaging 9.333333.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree JA can break all of the real MGK records, but no ones touching the Juice’s record.  2003/14 is 143.07 yards per game.  The next guy down was 128 yards and in a 16 game season.  I even looked up prior to 14 games with Jim Brown in 12

games and not even close.

No argument OJ is a rotten guy,

but the best running back performance in history.  It’s not even close.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Good thoughts, Doc!

I do believe he can get the all time wins as a Bill. It would be awesome if he could somehow break AFC title appearances and wins for a Bills QB.

So cool after all these years to have so much hope for the future going into year 4 for a Bills QB.

Go Bills!

Josh leads the Bills to one Super Bowl win ( I think he will) then whatever records he breaks or doesn't break really won't matter to Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The two hardest for him will be all time Bills wins by a QB and AFC Titles

All-time Bills wins will take the longest for Josh to achieve but I don't know that it is necessarily the hardest.  Kelly only played 11 seasons and averaged 9.2 wins/season.  Josh has played 3 seasons and is currently averaging 9.3.  Both have a "throwaway" season ('87 for Kelly, '18 for Josh).  Kelly was 9-8 in the playoffs; Josh is already 2-2.  If Josh plays into his mid-30s (very reasonable expectation) and the Bills' organization remains stable, Josh should blow the wins mark away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Greg S said:

All the "old records" especially for QBs and WRs are almost meaningless they way the league has changed so much.  Right about OJ and 2000 yards in 14 games, what a dynamic year that was.  Those that didnt see it it is hard to imagine how electric he was, every snap you thought he could take it to the house and he receiving was also special.  .  First snap form scrimmage that year I will never forget, 80 yards TD run versus the Pats.  

38 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Josh leads the Bills to one Super Bowl win ( I think he will) then whatever records he breaks or doesn't break really won't matter to Bills fans.

Yup! SB wins are most important.

That’s why it’s cool though. When’s the last time we could say that about any Bills QB since JK? We haven’t been able to.

Thanks, Greg. Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Even compared to his contemporaries, Jimbo wasn't the most prolific passer.   

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Yup! SB wins are most important.

That’s why it’s cool though. When’s the last time we could say that about any Bills QB since JK? We haven’t been able to.

Thanks, Greg. Go Bills!

Apparently…….we are not talking about Jack Kemp. 🤷‍♂️

I think this was cleverly designed to make me feel old. OK, maybe just remind me? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Half this board wanted to draft a new QB last year.  Now Allen is a HOF candidate after one great year?  Lot's of players have one great year.  There is no reason to suggest he will regress as he has improved every year. But nobody knows.  Let's just wait and see what happens.  

I definitely see what you’re saying.

That said, I don’t think anyone is anointing him an HOF candidate yet. To your logic, is JK anointing him just because he thinks it can happen too?

The potential is there, and with all the crap QBs we’ve had since JK, it’s awesome that JA is where he’s at starting in year four. It’s going to be fun to watch, and to your point, let’s see what happens.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know if all time wins is that big a hurdle AFC Titles for sure though. Josh just needs 74 more wins to pass Kelly and if Josh plays for at least 10 more years he just needs to average 7.4 wins a season and is currently averaging 9.333333.

Playing for the USFL didn't exactly help Kelly in that regard.  He's still 17th all time in the NFL though. 

On the one hand today's game the rules protect the QB from big hits more, the fields are more forgiving, better equipment, and more emphasis is put on diet.  On the other hand, Allen runs more and still will take unnecessary hits because it's in his DNA.  Hopefully he won't be the next Cam Newton where a beating on his body over the years made him a shell of his former self.

• Agree 1