All Bills Preseason games will be carried live on NFLN

I’m surprised by all the preseason love around here. I don’t think hating preseason football makes one any less of a fan. Lets be honest, once the backups are in, the quality of play is worse than almost any college game. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m surprised by all the preseason love around here. I don’t think hating preseason football makes one any less of a fan. Lets be honest, once the backups are in, the quality of play is worse than almost any college game. 

Your take sounds like that of what I’d call a “casual” fan, which is completely fine, but I don’t think many of us who come to this message board are casual fans.

Two Saturday afternoon games in August??? ...  I'll tape them so I can watch it later--and it gives me ther added bonus of fast-forwarding through the commercials. Life is good.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, eball said:

Your take sounds like that of what I’d call a “casual” fan, which is completely fine, but I don’t think many of us who come to this message board are casual fans.

I get your take, but what separates a “casual” fan from a “real fan” ? It’s not that I don’t watch the preseason, but I admittedly drift off once the second half begins. The quality of play is just difficult to watch. That doesn’t mean it’s not exciting to see rookie debuts and promising prospects, but the game itself is typically bad. Your take reminds me of music people who say you aren’t a real fan if you don’t love every album by an artist. I get what you’re saying, that most people are quite hardcore into their Bills around here, but I still can’t comprehend truly loving preseason football. 

Edited by SirAndrew

35 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I get your take, but what separates a “casual” fan from a “real fan” ? It’s not that I don’t watch the preseason, but I admittedly drift off once the second half begins. The quality of play is just difficult to watch. That doesn’t mean it’s not exciting to see rookie debuts and promising prospects, but the game itself is typically bad. Your take reminds me of music people who say you aren’t a real fan if you don’t love every album by an artist. I get what you’re saying, that most people are quite hardcore into their Bills around here, but I still can’t comprehend truly loving preseason football. 

Casual means you enjoy it, you're just not that into it.  There's nothing "real" or "unreal" about it.  You like the Bills; I get it -- you're just not as obsessive as a lot of us are.  It's cool, man -- nobody's saying you're not a "real" fan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not watching the bills preseason game to see a good game. Personally I’m watching to evaluate players, position battles, personnel groupings, etc 

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

How else can we pick out the one guy we think is good so we can come here and complain that he isn't getting enough playing time?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually like pre-season...legitimately.  It is all a part of the rhythm of the season. Last year, it was just so odd to me to start the season so abruptly, with almost no real football coverage on the teams progress.

When I was a kid, we had a big family (8 kids) so we could rarely go to games...but once in a while my dad would score free pre-season tickets.  I was too dumb to know the big difference...just loved seeing the uniforms, the field...and there was always a memorable play, whether a great effort, or a horrible blunder. 

Also, over the years, I knew a few people who were actually on the Bills pre-season roster.  Though none ever made it to the final roster (one high-school friend played on the "scab-Bills" of 1982), it was just cool to follow them...waiting, hoping to see them get playing time.

I also like getting to see some of the backup players who we might never see otherwise... I love the fact that guys like Vince Young and Matt Leinart once wore Bills uniforms... can't wait to see Trubisky, and Isaiah Hodgins...who knows if we see either in the regular season?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not watching the bills preseason game to see a good game. Personally I’m watching to evaluate players, position battles, personnel groupings, etc 

I get it, and it’s mostly why I watch. I particularly look forward to seeing highly anticipated rookies, and recent signings. Watching Trubisky in a Bills uni will be interesting, especially against the Bears. With that said, I still don’t enjoy the entirety of a preseason game. Coaches get to see their team in practice everyday. I think most personal decisions are based on practice more than actual preseason game action. I never feel like I’m watching something that matters in any tangible way. How many preseason stars get cut every season ? Peterman was a decent QB in the preseason, yet he barely knows how to play the game in the regular season. 

I have a question about preseason games. I just moved back to NY State last Fall and bought season tickets. I've never been to a preseason game before but if I'm going to go to one, I'm happy for it to be against the Packers. What will the atmosphere be like? Will there be "normal" tailgating? 

On 7/20/2021 at 4:04 AM, SirAndrew said:

The pre-season is like Thanksgiving. Being at Thanksgiving time means Christmas is around the corner.

Thanksgiving is still a great holiday but it doesn’t compare to Christmas (at least for me).

Same with pre-season. It’s great, it just doesn’t compare to the regular season. BUT it’s almost Christmas.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year.” Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1