Black Widow Movie

Mark Vader

Figured I would start this topic since no one else has.

It was great to see a new Marvel Movie in the theaters again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. Glad that it was not a full origin movie, and instead deals with events after Civil War. Florence Pugh was very good. The chemistry between her and Johansson was great. David Harbour was too over the top for my liking. Ray Winstone was terrifying. The opening credits sequence was disturbing.

For a movie centered around a female character, this was far better than "Captain Marvel". Nice bumper at the end.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I liked it a lot too, but I would’ve liked it more if it came out after Civil War. Scarlet Jo and (to my surprise) the girl from Midsommer did kick a lot of serious ass. I did like Captain Marvel though too. As far as the end credits go, I hope the job gets done.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Figured I would start this topic since no one else has.

It was great to see a new Marvel Movie in the theaters again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. Glad that it was not a full origin movie, and instead deals with events after Civil War. Florence Pugh was very good. The chemistry between her and Johansson was great. David Harbour was too over the top for my liking. Ray Winstone was terrifying. The opening credits sequence was disturbing.

For a movie centered around a female character, this was far better than "Captain Marvel". Nice bumper at the end.

Cheers. I've not had the time to get to the cinema yet with the Euros being on for a month but will get there this weekend.

Talking of Ray Winstone, I recommend a movie called Sexy Beast with him in it. Not only is it a great film but Ben Kingsley gives one of the best acting performances ever playing psychopath Don Logan.  

• Agree 1

Went to the theater for the first time since Covid last night to watch this movie. Saw it in the Regal cinemas X Screen format. It’s 270° where they project part of the movie on the side walls. Took a moment to get used to, but then was pretty inventive and cool.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the actor from Stranger Things who played the Red Guardian.

Relating to the end-of-credits scene, I wonder if they will find a way to resurrect the Black Widow character using the multi-verse?

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Went to the theater for the first time since Covid last night to watch this movie. Saw it in the Regal cinemas X Screen format. It’s 270° where they project part of the movie on the side walls. Took a moment to get used to, but then was pretty inventive and cool.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the actor from Stranger Things who played the Red Guardian.

Relating to the end-of-credits scene, I wonder if they will find a way to resurrect the Black Widow character using the multi-verse?

They don't need the multi-verse for that.  They're going with alternate versions of the characters from within their own universe.

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yea I thought it was good, lots of action and not too much forced comedy that has killed movies like this in the past.

They tried it a bit with Yelena, but it was far more subtle than the other recent MCU movies.

Oh, and I saw some comments recently from Scarlet talking about how she regrets some of the unnecessary sexualization of the character when she was first introduced.  Now after seeing the movie I can't help but roll my eyes at that.  There had to be 5 or 6 blatant shots of her ass in the movie.  They'd start filming at the ground, pan up her legs, then switch to a different camera once they passed the waist.  Now I'm not complaining, but the comments definitely seem a bit hypocritical.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, shrader said:

They don't need the multi-verse for that.  They're going with alternate versions of the characters from within their own universe.

They tried it a bit with Yelena, but it was far more subtle than the other recent MCU movies.

Oh, and I saw some comments recently from Scarlet talking about how she regrets some of the unnecessary sexualization of the character when she was first introduced.  Now after seeing the movie I can't help but roll my eyes at that.  There had to be 5 or 6 blatant shots of her ass in the movie.  They'd start filming at the ground, pan up her legs, then switch to a different camera once they passed the waist.  Now I'm not complaining, but the comments definitely seem a bit hypocritical.

Fine line between sexualization and empowerment.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Reading how this was a total box office bomb for MCU. Sort or weird— I expected this one to be super popular.

It had over a 65% drop in box office numbers from opening week to the second week.

That is alarming, and not used to what Disney/Marvel is used to seeing, but a far cry from being a bomb.

15 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It had over a 65% drop in box office numbers from opening week to the second week.

That is alarming, and not used to what Disney/Marvel is used to seeing, but a far cry from being a bomb.

yeah, bomb may be overstating it. But I read some articles that Disney may be worried that MCU could be jumping the shark. 

45 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, bomb may be overstating it. But I read some articles that Disney may be worried that MCU could be jumping the shark. 

Its getting kinda out there with the Loki show and Wanda/Vision.  Falcon and Winter Soldier was rather hokey in my opinion. I am still enjoying the new shows and Black Widow but the next wave of movies with mostly secondary or tertiary heroes (besides Thor) may be a hard sell to anyone outside of MCU junkies.

I also don't get why this one was the start of their next phase.  The post-credit scene is the only thing that advances the storyline in any way.  There really was no reason to put this movie out after Infinity War/Endgame.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I also don't get why this one was the start of their next phase.  The post-credit scene is the only thing that advances the storyline in any way.  There really was no reason to put this movie out after Infinity War/Endgame.

Yeah.  I saw it Sunday.  It was enjoyable but I totally forgot that BW died at the end of Endgame until the end of the movie. 

I wanted to see this when it came out.

I am not going to sign up for Disney + for a month to see it because my provider Verizon charges a $10 fee every time a change is made (total $20, on and off) even if they made the mistake.  Looked at prices at cinemas and locally inflation has gone up more than 20% than pre-pandemic and AMC has eliminated matinee prices despite still advertising them.  

I understand with predator pricing by Disney+ and AMC why people who would normally purchase thru legal channels buy it on black market.

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Let's see how it does compared to Suicide Squad next month.

Very embarrassing though that a total POS like Space Jam 2 with LeBron James knocked it off from the top.

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Appease the female crowd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.