don't sleep on...Reggie Gilliam?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/reggie-gilliam-one-of-more-intriguing-players-on-bills-roster/article_38fe8f8e-e0fa-11eb-997d-9ba3e9fb2cf9.html

Reggie Gilliam fits the description of a throwback football player.  He can play tight end. He can play fullback. He can play special teams.

Jason Candle, Toledo's football coach, has long recognized Gilliam's old-school nature.

"Reggie is like a flip phone," Candle was quoted as saying on the University of Toledo website. "It's reliable and it does its job every single day to the best of its ability. It's not flashy."

I didn't realize how short he was:

The Bills list the 6-foot, 244-pound Gilliam at tight end and fullback.

Of course, Gilliam's best pathway to making the 53-man roster for the second year in a row is on special teams. While appearing in 14 games last season, he played 43% of the kicking-unit snaps. The rest of Gilliam's action, 7%, was tight end snaps. 

His college coaches have fine things to say about him and his background:

"Reggie is the epitome of a selfless human being. He is a product of great parenting," Candle said. "I think that his parents have raised that young man to be great for every opportunity that he has. No player in our program's history, at least my time being here, has embraced his role and done it at such a high level."

Gilliam's father is a master sergeant in the U.S. Army. His mother is a district administrator for the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Robby Discher, Toledo's special teams and tight ends coach, describes Gilliam as "probably the physically toughest kid I've ever been around."

"He's also one of the hardest-playing guys I've ever seen," Discher was quoted as saying on the University of Toledo website. "Honestly, he's just one of the best people I've ever been around. He makes the coaches look really good."

I want more at TE and more at RB for the Bills, but I can't help rooting for this kid.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/reggie-gilliam-one-of-more-intriguing-players-on-bills-roster/article_38fe8f8e-e0fa-11eb-997d-9ba3e9fb2cf9.html

I want more at TE and more at RB for the Bills, but I can't help rooting for this kid.

Meh, rather not have him hogging snaps from Ertz, Hollister and Knox

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Back to back posts about Gilliam…man crush? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It depends if he is a solid fullback.  There is still value in the role of a fullback.  He’s not tall enough as a TE.

I think he fits the Bills alright because they use him (and all their TEs) more in a hybrid H-Back role and he is better at a shorter side picking up Blitzers.  

They don’t really use him as a in-line or split out TE - he is that lead blocking TE that slips out occasionally.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

“Gilliam is like a flip phone.”  WTF?  🤣😂

"He's like one of those old car phones with the bag and the cord. Big, ugly, and no one knows what the hell it's doing here. Someone meant to throw it out years ago, but we all have better things to do."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

This is not going to sit well with the 'Flat-Ertzers'...

😇

Let’s leave Sammy out of this…

• Haha (+1) 1