Are the Bills are a "regional" team?

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Curious about the Bills footprint in it's market.  I am not from Buffalo, WNY, the Northeast etc...I don't know your area etc.  

Denver would be a team with a large regional footprint where they have high numbers of fans in Wyoming, Montana, Utah, western Nebraska...that kind of thing.  

Mostly I guess I am wondering if Ontario is consider "Bills Country" or not?  If it isn't why not?  How much of New York do you say is Bills fan territory?  What about Erie, PA is that where the Steeler or Browns butt up against Bills areas?  Just wondering.  

Ontario is not Bills country.

First off, SW Ontario is closer to Detroit. In the Windsor area, the local radio stations treat the Tigers/Lions/Red Wings/Pistons as the "home teams" of the area. Then, in case you don't know, Toronto sports fans are the biggest bandwagoners of any fanbase I've seen, and the only persistent enthusiasm is for the Maple Leaves. I'm not sure why Ontarians aren't Bills fans. I don't really meet very many of them. The other day, bumped into an Iggles fan, drove behind a truck with Steelers decals, work with a Dolphins fan and then due to the bandwagony nature of the people here, you'll find a lot of residual Patriot fans who are slowly converting into Bucs/Chief fans. Oh, and a bunch of Packer fans for some reason. Maybe they feel solidarity with the North or something.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalove1 said:

Im in Ithaca and its split with Bills and Giants. But Bills dominate in the rural areas and surrounding cities like Elmira and Cortland. With the Bills doing better and Giants sucking lately definite edge to Bills these past 5 years.  Jets 3rd Steelers distant 4th

And the further NW you go from Ithaca you start to see Pats.

*shudders*

Zero, why were you asking?  It’s just an interesting question.

Considering our drought, it is impressive the volume of Bills fans nationwide.  I know in Tampa there are

more Bills bars than I can count.  We may be skewed as a large portion of upstate NY and the Great Lakes area resettles here in Tampa.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Zero, why were you asking?  It’s just an interesting question.

Considering our drought, it is impressive the volume of Bills fans nationwide.  I know in Tampa there are

more Bills bars than I can count.  We may be skewed as a large portion of upstate NY and the Great Lakes area resettles here in Tampa.

We are NOT a bandwagon crowd, like so many other teams. 

We stick by our team, even if we move away for warmer weather, better jobs or lower taxes. We stick by our Bills! 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

All teams are regional.  Those regions are generally fairly small in the Northeast where you have half a dozen other metros within a few hours drive.  The Patriots are the only truly regional team in the northeast as Boston is the main hub of the New England area.

Denver is unique as they are bordered on all sides by massive states that do not have professional football.  Dallas was also well positioned in that regard.  The old Oilers leaving Houston crippled the Houston market.

original.png

Love how the Rams fans are completely left off this map as if they don't exist, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s what my wife said to me for twenty years.  She would reference you guys are a little nuts about you’re team.  “And”

I like her already. She’s smart! 

9 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Love how the Rams fans are completely left off this map as if they don't exist, lol.

Them’s the facts, apparently. 

Imagine having perfect weather and so many college and professional sports teams in such a condensed area. Add the beaches and other forms of entertainment. It makes sense that teams like the Bills have die hard all over the country to support OUR team. We are dedicated, regardless of the weather forecast or anything else. 

Edited by Augie

Most nfl teams are “regional”. The bills are no exception.  As you get to Erie you get a mix of Steelers and browns and less bills.   As you go East it’s a lot of bills country til Albany.   Albany has some but mostly that is giants.   Southern Ontario is definitely bills country.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo was once a huge city that has been shrinking for 50 years

So there are buffalonians transplanted all over the US 

Western New York is obviously heavy bills country.. but everywhere you go from Florida to Texas to California you'll find pockets of Bills fans because they left and never came back

Nashville has a ton of Bills fans too !!

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

As you go East it’s a lot of bills country til Albany.   Albany has some but mostly that is giants.

You'd probably be surprised at how many Bills fans are around here in Albany.  The trouble we have is Albany is right at the geographic crossroads of being Pats, Giants, Jets, Bills territory.  (3 hrs to Boston, 3 hrs to NYC)  Pats and Giants have been the dominant teams for years, but Bills have been making a LOT of headway recently.

Edited by Blainorama5

17 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Former Rochester guy, living in CT, and snow birding to avoid winter, I see Bills fans everywhere I travel to, From up and down the East coast to the Bahamas, to California, we Bills fans are nation wide, and international 😁👍

Bills fans regularly packed two bars which were next door to one another on 2nd Avenue & 42nd St. in NYC. Now it's a huge place called Public House that gets packed with Bills supporters every Sunday. I have Sunday Ticket now, but when I would go weekly, if you didn't get there by 12:30 or so, you were not getting into the main bar (which was fine with me, b/c it was just too crowded). Admittedly during the drought years, the crowd would dwindle as our hopes did until it could be a ghost town in December.

I'm in Jersey now and have been to three different Hoboken Bills Bars, a Jersey City Bills Bar, and a Paterson Bills Bar that was at the edge of the universe. I also found a bar in DC, when we were visiting my mother-in-law, that had a pretty good crowd for that Christmas eve Miami game where Rex Ryan decided to punt with a few minutes left in OT even though there was still a faint chance of making the playoffs. On opening day in 2019, wound up scheduled to fly back from a wedding in Seattle and almost went to a Bills Bar there, but my wife drew the line there, worried we would miss our plane (I wound up watching the replay on GamePass as we waited at our gate (ffwding a lot) and I must have looked a sight as I went crazy when Allen hit Brown along the sideline to complete the comeback. There's even a tacky nightclub place a few blocks from me on the border of Bloomfield and Newark that supposedly shows the Bills games. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

You'd probably be surprised at how many Bills fans are around here in Albany.  The trouble we have is Albany is right at the geographic crossroads of being Pats, Giants, Jets, Bills territory.  (3 hrs to Boston, 3 hrs to NYC)  Pats and Giants have been the dominant teams for years, but Bills have been making a LOT of headway recently.

I have family there and I spend time I. Albany every year.   I did not mean to say there are no bills fans.  But less than Syracuse and it kind of ends there 

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I have family there and I spend time I. Albany every year.   I did not mean to say there are no bills fans.  But less than Syracuse and it kind of ends there 

Syracuse is a mixed bag of different fans.  Buffalo may have more than other teams, but it's not a dominate amount.  Heck, 5 of my 6 brother in laws are Eagles fans. 3 because they live in the Philly area, 1 because he used to live there, the other 1 I think just goes along with the other 4.  The 1 not an Eagles fan is a Raiders fan. 

• Agree 1