Are the Bills are a "regional" team?

On 7/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, Jauronimo said:

All teams are regional.  Those regions are generally fairly small in the Northeast where you have half a dozen other metros within a few hours drive.  The Patriots are the only truly regional team in the northeast as Boston is the main hub of the New England area.

Denver is unique as they are bordered on all sides by massive states that do not have professional football.  Dallas was also well positioned in that regard.  The old Oilers leaving Houston crippled the Houston market.

original.png

i want to see a current map.  

Vegas is now Raiders county and I’d expect NEs area to shrink.  

On 7/15/2021 at 3:52 PM, Draconator said:

When I lived in San Francisco, there was a healthy amount of Bills Fans. The fun thing about that time is the Bills bar is across the street from the Jets bar. So there was a constant battle of the Shout Song vs J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets during games. 

I was in San Francisco at that time and recall watching at Northstar and the Jets fans were over at Shannon’s. If we played the Jets and lost a bunch of portly Jets fans with bad mustaches would waddle across the street and stand outside and chant J-E-T-S

Northstar is still going strong but Shannon’s is long gone  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, Zerovoltz said:

Sure...but that doesn't help me much with how they are followed in Canada.  

About 20% of season tickets are sold to Canadians. Bills are on Toronto TV every week. Not the only popular NFL team but the most popular in Ontario. Especially when we are good.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

What's amazing to me is if you live in NY state on the border with PA you find overwhelmingly it's Bills country (at least west of, say, Corning). 
Whereas if you drive 5-10 minutes south into PA it's clearly Steelers country. 

It's not like there is a river or mountains or a major city in PA splitting the two. Just the invisible border between states. 

Rochester is very much Bills Country. By the time you get to Syracuse it's more a split with the Giants and Jets, with Bills probably holding an edge. By the time you get to Albany it's Giants/Jets in the lead followed by Bills.

I'd say west of Binghamton, Chemung County has a solid Bills base

• Like (+1) 1

Originally from Buffalo, moved to Baltimore for 12 years. There was a decent population of Bills fans there. There were many Bills bar options that were jam packed come game day.

Moved to Rochester (more specifically Victor) about four years ago. At first I was hard pressed to find Bills fans. At least where I worked. Though you can go to any bar on Sunday and it will be predominantly Bills fans. Funny thing is when I first started my job, there were no Bills fans to be found. Now every meeting ends with “go Bills!”, etc. Funny how I couldn’t find any til recently, but I guess that goes for many fan bases. 

was at a Pirates game last night in Pittsburgh.  Wearing a Bills hat found many other Bills/Pirates fans at the game.  We are everywhere.  Some of it had to do to people fleeing Buffalo and not coming back, other factors are the success of the team, etc.  Also kids of fans (like mine) become Bills fans in Pa. 

On 7/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

What's amazing to me is if you live in NY state on the border with PA you find overwhelmingly it's Bills country (at least west of, say, Corning). 
Whereas if you drive 5-10 minutes south into PA it's clearly Steelers country. 

It's not like there is a river or mountains or a major city in PA splitting the two. Just the invisible border between states. 

Rochester is very much Bills Country. By the time you get to Syracuse it's more a split with the Giants and Jets, with Bills probably holding an edge. By the time you get to Albany it's Giants/Jets in the lead followed by Bills.

to me, Erie is the most fascinating city. It is equidistant between cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. I remember stopping at a sports bar there, and the jersey splits looked almost 1/3rd for each team. 

• Agree 2

Those maps are awful. Denver and Seattle always have the largest visual, geographical reach, but what's the head count for the folks in Alaska tuning into the Seahawks? Or the number of the wild hill people of Wyoming and Montana watching the Donkeys on some newfangled TV that they scavenged while searching for water? Very small, but it's always represented by a giant blob as if a quarter of the country loves the Broncos.

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to me, Erie is the most fascinating city. It is equidistant between cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. I remember stopping at a sports bar there, and the jersey splits looked almost 1/3rd for each team. 

It really is an interesting dynamic.  I've always looked at WNY as a very regional area in general and to a degree consider Erie, PA an extension of WNY mainly for all the fun trips I made there during many summers to buy fireworks when I was younger.  But I can also see the Steelers connection with Erie since it's in PA

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It really is an interesting dynamic.  I've always looked at WNY as a very regional area in general and to a degree consider Erie, PA an extension of WNY mainly for all the fun trips I made there during many summers to buy fireworks when I was younger.  But I can also see the Steelers connection with Erie since it's in PA

I feel like some sports researchers need to do some sort of study on Erie! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That would actually be pretty cool!  It's funny I was just thinking about this driving through Erie last week on my way to a golf trip in the Cleveland area.  There ended up being another group of Bills fans at the course that we're there for a Bachelor party and there was alot of fun banter between all the Bills and Browns fans all day.  It would be cool if Buffalo, Pitt and Cleveland ever end up in the same division someday

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I live in Erie and it's bandwagon central (except the Browns). Growing up in the 90s I didn't know many Steelers fans my age, or Browns for that matter. All the parents were Browns and Steelers fans. My dad being from Hamburg brought me up right.  I came back from the Marine Corps in 2004 and all those Bills fans kinda disappeared.  It's coming back now of course though that they're getting good again. I always get a "go Bills!!!" when I wear my stuff out. And Bills car plates and stickers everywhere now. Kudos to the Cleveland fans tho as they kinda always stuck with their team around here.