Are the Bills are a "regional" team?

Curious about the Bills footprint in it's market.  I am not from Buffalo, WNY, the Northeast etc...I don't know your area etc.  

Denver would be a team with a large regional footprint where they have high numbers of fans in Wyoming, Montana, Utah, western Nebraska...that kind of thing.  

Mostly I guess I am wondering if Ontario is consider "Bills Country" or not?  If it isn't why not?  How much of New York do you say is Bills fan territory?  What about Erie, PA is that where the Steeler or Browns butt up against Bills areas?  Just wondering.  

I dont believe Ontario is Bills country.  There are fans from many different teams.  A lot of people from there root for the Bills and go to games though.

I do think that if the Bills sustain some success here, people of Southern Ontario/Toronto will identify more with the Bills

Erie PA is a good swing position between Bills/Browns/Steelers.  Central NY about Syracuse is too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Curious about the Bills footprint in it's market.  I am not from Buffalo, WNY, the Northeast etc...I don't know your area etc.  

Denver would be a team with a large regional footprint where they have high numbers of fans in Wyoming, Montana, Utah, western Nebraska...that kind of thing.  

Mostly I guess I am wondering if Ontario is consider "Bills Country" or not?  If it isn't why not?  How much of New York do you say is Bills fan territory?  What about Erie, PA is that where the Steeler or Browns butt up against Bills areas?  Just wondering.  

Buffalo was once a huge city that has been shrinking for 50 years

So there are buffalonians transplanted all over the US 

Western New York is obviously heavy bills country.. but everywhere you go from Florida to Texas to California you'll find pockets of Bills fans because they left and never came back

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, May Day 10 said:

I dont believe Ontario is Bills country.  There are fans from many different teams.  A lot of people from there root for the Bills and go to games though.

I do think that if the Bills sustain some success here, people of Southern Ontario/Toronto will identify more with the Bills

Erie PA is a good swing position between Bills/Browns/Steelers.  Central NY about Syracuse is too

I thought Central NY/Syracuse was a mix of Bills, Giants, Jets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I thought Central NY/Syracuse was a mix of Bills, Giants, Jets.

In live in CNY and in my experience it is the Giants, Bills, Cowboys, Steelers.  I'm not quite sure about the order but I don't think the Jets are a favorite in the area.  If I had to rank I would put Giants as the clear favorite but that is fading with how bad they have been lately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Former Rochester guy, living in CT, and snow birding to avoid winter, I see Bills fans everywhere I travel to, From up and down the East coast to the Bahamas, to California, we Bills fans are nation wide, and international 😁👍

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

When I lived in San Francisco, there was a healthy amount of Bills Fans. The fun thing about that time is the Bills bar is across the street from the Jets bar. So there was a constant battle of the Shout Song vs J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets during games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So part of Wyoming now is Bills Country.

That's right....I had forgotten the Wyoming connection to JA.  Northeast NON DFW Texas often gets Chiefs games for the same reason, as does Lubbock.  Oklahoma City gets alot of Browns games for Baker.

I spent a few days hiking in the Rockies around Memorial Day, and of course I wore my Bills cap on the trails.  I'd guess about half a dozen miscellaneous Bills fans said hi and stopped to talk about the team for a few minutes.  

That's indicative of a pretty good national following IMO.  I mean, when was the last time you saw anybody wearing Jaguars gear unless they were literally just drafted and getting their hand shaken by Goodell?

• Haha (+1) 1

For the most part, "Bills Country" stretches from Erie, PA from the west, St. Catherines, ON from the north, Syracuse to east and the NY/PA border to the south.  As others have said, you'll find transplants just about everywhere.  Particularly, in Florida.  

• Like (+1) 5

To respond to the original question, I would say yes, the Bills are a regional team.  Bills "country" is all of WNY, extends east to Rochester and south to more or less the Pennsylvania border.  Southern Ontario - Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, etc. is Bills country, but as you move west and north and get closer to Toronto, it becomes less so - NFL fans there seem to prefer many teams.  Heading east, once you get past Rochester and get closer to Syracuse, it definitely becomes more of a mix of Bills, Giants and Jets.

Separate and apart from this, as noted above in many places, the Bills have a very large national following.  Bills fans are everywhere and are proud to be so.  Bills fans in other markets tend to have a larger sense of comradery than fans of a lot of other teams that may be living out of their home market.  I have encountered Bills fans all over the United States and internationally too.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

what else is out there???   

I’d say that KC and Denver share the same region because of it.