Top 10 Bills off-season storylines

It's been a long off season and the anticipation for the upcoming season where the Bills are legitimate Super Bowl contenders for the first time in 20+ years is building.  I listed the top 10 off season developments that affected our Bills in no particular order below.  Training camp starts in 12 days and the Bills kick off at Highmark stadium against the Steelers in just 59 days.  Let's hope this is finally the year the Lombardi comes home to Buffalo.

1.  We kept the coaching staff together.  I had little hope both Frazier and Daboll would be back for the 21-22 season.  Daboll in particular looked like a lock for the Chargers' gig.  Another year of scheme stability for the Bills is huge.  The recent promotion of Ken Dorsey to Passing Game Coordinator, hopefully with a nice pay raise, was a smart way for Beane and Co. to reward Dorsey for a job well done and to set him up to move into the OC roll if Daboll finally gets his shot after this season.  

2.  We kept the roster intact.  Edmunds got his 5th year option picked up.  The sole big loss on offense was John Brown but Beane replaced him with Emmanuel Sanders.  I loved Brown and wish him all the best, but sliding Sanders in there has the possibility to be an upgrade at the position.  Beane managed to resign Feliciano, D. Williams, and Milano.  I didn't think that would be possible with the cap restraints.  Let's hope that McBeane's strategy of keeping the band together for another year will pay dividends.  The only loss that gives me pause was BoJo.  He had a shank every now and then but had really become a boomer routinely knocking 60+ yard punts to flip the field.  I know you can't keep everyone and it looks like BoJo just drew the short straw. 

3.  Training camp will be in Orchard Park this year.  I think this is a big plus.  It might be bad for marketing, but having easy access to the Bills' new state of the art training and rehab facilities should be beneficial for the health of the team coming out of training camp.

4.  The competition for a starting spot on the O-Line is going to be stout in camp, but nothing like the battle to land a spot on the D-Line.  The Bills spent their first two draft picks on pass rushers and suddenly there are people we thought would be back this season who are going to be on the outside looking in.   Do the Bills decide to keep an extra D-Lineman on the roster?  If so, where do they find a roster spot?   I don't see us keeping a third QB on the roster this season. 

5.  The long debate is over.  It looks like Terry and Kim have finally decided to build a new open air stadium in Orchard Park.   It was a decision that cheers those who love to tailgate and disappoints those who wanted a downtown Buffalo location.   I didn't have a preference for OP or downtown Buffalo, but hoped it would be a domed stadium to help our passing game.  Let's hope the architects can position and design the new stadium in a manner to limit the crazy winds  down at field level.  That should be doable... right?

6.  The Bills brought in Matt Breida to provide a speed element to the running game but did not do much else on paper to address the running game that was lackluster at times.  It looks like Beane is counting on O-Line continuity and better play up front to make a difference.  The Bills offense did score 501 points last season, second only to GB with 509, so it's hard to be too critical of the offense, but I think many were expecting more moves addressing the run game.

7.  The Chiefs and Browns had good off seasons too and didn't suffer a talent exodus following their successful campaigns last year.   It's way too early to say whether the Bills, Chiefs, or Browns had the best off season, but for people hoping the Chiefs and Browns might take a step backwards this season, I think they are going to be disappointed.  The AFC is going to be a donnybrook this year.  If the Bills can stay healthy, I like our chances.

8.  Cole Beasley may end up missing significant time this season if he isn't willing to follow League COVID guidelines.  I'm not here to argue right or wrong, just the significant impact his absence would have on the Bills' offense.  He is an integral part of the offense and would have caught 100 balls last season if not for his late season injury.  He routinely moves the sticks and is Josh's security blanket.  Let's hope this situation gets figured out because losing Beasley would be a huge blow to the offense during what should be a Super Bowl run. 

9.  The landscape of the AFCE underwent some huge changes this off season with a new regime in place for the Jets and new rookie QBs for the Jets and Pats.  The Jets and Phins also had a bushel of draft picks this year and have been at work overhauling their rosters with young talent.  The Phins could have drafted one of the blue chip QBs in this year's draft but decided to roll the dice with Tua.  The Pats went out and spent money like drunken sailors in free agency and bolstered their roster on both sides of the ball.  Time will tell how successful these moves are, but there is no doubt that the AFCE is now a completely different division than it was just two seasons ago when Brady was still under center in New England.

10.  Lastly, no extension for Josh...yet.  It's coming and I hope that Beane follows the same strategy he had with Tre' White and signs Josh first, before Mayfield and Jackson get their deals done.  Each contract seems to be bigger and it would be best to get Josh locked down first. I don't think we've seen the best of Josh Allen yet and I hope Beane locks him up for as many seasons as Allen will agree to.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Great list.

I agree with everything except for #5. They have NOT decided to build a new stadium, they decided to invest some money to hire consultants to help them explore/market the idea.  So they spend a few million bucks and then their consultants may not may not determine they can even get the right financial support. We are a long long was from a new stadium.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to Top 10 off-season storylines
On 7/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

It's been a long off season and the anticipation for the upcoming season where the Bills are legitimate Super Bowl contenders for the first time in 20+ years is building.  I listed the top 10 off season developments that affected our Bills in no particular order below.  Training camp starts in 12 days and the Bills kick off at Highmark stadium against the Steelers in just 59 days.  Let's hope this is finally the year the Lombardi comes home to Buffalo.

1.  We kept the coaching staff together.  I had little hope both Frazier and Daboll would be back for the 21-22 season.  Daboll in particular looked like a lock for the Chargers' gig.  Another year of scheme stability for the Bills is huge.  The recent promotion of Ken Dorsey to Passing Game Coordinator, hopefully with a nice pay raise, was a smart way for Beane and Co. to reward Dorsey for a job well done and to set him up to move into the OC roll if Daboll finally gets his shot after this season.  

2.  We kept the roster intact.  Edmunds got his 5th year option picked up.  The sole big loss on offense was John Brown but Beane replaced him with Emmanuel Sanders.  I loved Brown and wish him all the best, but sliding Sanders in there has the possibility to be an upgrade at the position.  Beane managed to resign Feliciano, D. Williams, and Milano.  I didn't think that would be possible with the cap restraints.  Let's hope that McBeane's strategy of keeping the band together for another year will pay dividends.  The only loss that gives me pause was BoJo.  He had a shank every now and then but had really become a boomer routinely knocking 60+ yard punts to flip the field.  I know you can't keep everyone and it looks like BoJo just drew the short straw. 

3.  Training camp will be in Orchard Park this year.  I think this is a big plus.  It might be bad for marketing, but having easy access to the Bills' new state of the art training and rehab facilities should be beneficial for the health of the team coming out of training camp.

4.  The competition for a starting spot on the O-Line is going to be stout in camp, but nothing like the battle to land a spot on the D-Line.  The Bills spent their first two draft picks on pass rushers and suddenly there are people we thought would be back this season who are going to be on the outside looking in.   Do the Bills decide to keep an extra D-Lineman on the roster?  If so, where do they find a roster spot?   I don't see us keeping a third QB on the roster this season. 

5.  The long debate is over.  It looks like Terry and Kim have finally decided to build a new open air stadium in Orchard Park.   It was a decision that cheers those who love to tailgate and disappoints those who wanted a downtown Buffalo location.   I didn't have a preference for OP or downtown Buffalo, but hoped it would be a domed stadium to help our passing game.  Let's hope the architects can position and design the new stadium in a manner to limit the crazy winds  down at field level.  That should be doable... right?

6.  The Bills brought in Matt Breida to provide a speed element to the running game but did not do much else on paper to address the running game that was lackluster at times.  It looks like Beane is counting on O-Line continuity and better play up front to make a difference.  The Bills offense did score 501 points last season, second only to GB with 509, so it's hard to be too critical of the offense, but I think many were expecting more moves addressing the run game.

7.  The Chiefs and Browns had good off seasons too and didn't suffer a talent exodus following their successful campaigns last year.   It's way too early to say whether the Bills, Chiefs, or Browns had the best off season, but for people hoping the Chiefs and Browns might take a step backwards this season, I think they are going to be disappointed.  The AFC is going to be a donnybrook this year.  If the Bills can stay healthy, I like our chances.

8.  Cole Beasley may end up missing significant time this season if he isn't willing to follow League COVID guidelines.  I'm not here to argue right or wrong, just the significant impact his absence would have on the Bills' offense.  He is an integral part of the offense and would have caught 100 balls last season if not for his late season injury.  He routinely moves the sticks and is Josh's security blanket.  Let's hope this situation gets figured out because losing Beasley would be a huge blow to the offense during what should be a Super Bowl run. 

9.  The landscape of the AFCE underwent some huge changes this off season with a new regime in place for the Jets and new rookie QBs for the Jets and Pats.  The Jets and Phins also had a bushel of draft picks this year and have been at work overhauling their rosters with young talent.  The Phins could have drafted one of the blue chip QBs in this year's draft but decided to roll the dice with Tua.  The Pats went out and spent money like drunken sailors in free agency and bolstered their roster on both sides of the ball.  Time will tell how successful these moves are, but there is no doubt that the AFCE is now a completely different division than it was just two seasons ago when Brady was still under center in New England.

10.  Lastly, no extension for Josh...yet.  It's coming and I hope that Beane follows the same strategy he had with Tre' White and signs Josh first, before Mayfield and Jackson get their deals done.  Each contract seems to be bigger and it would be best to get Josh locked down first. I don't think we've seen the best of Josh Allen yet and I hope Beane locks him up for as many seasons as Allen will agree to.

Wonderful post from yours Señor Iñigo... only question is about bullet 5, dome? what? that is our HFA, by itself....

Edited by BuffaLoko
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great list.

I agree with everything except for #5. They have NOT decided to build a new stadium, they decide to invest some money to hire consultants to help them explore market the idea.  So they spend a few million bucks and then their consultants may not may not determine they can even get the right financial support. We are a long long was from a new stadium.

Thanks when I read that one I was like what did I miss

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great list.

I agree with everything except for #5. They have NOT decided to build a new stadium, they decide to invest some money to hire consultants to help them explore market the idea.  So they spend a few million bucks and then their consultants may not may not determine they can even get the right financial support. We are a long long was from a new stadium.

1 minute ago, scuba guy said:

Thanks when I read that one I was like what did I miss

Fair point.

The announcement followed a three year stadium feasibility study the Pegulas had commissioned.  It looks like the study concluded that an open roofed stadium in OP was the best option and the Pegulas have agreed with it.  I don't think Kim and Terry would spend more money on the concept if they hadn't already made up their minds.  For what it's worth, here's a link on a short article about it.  

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2021/06/19/report-states-buffalo-bills-build-new-stadium-orchard-park/7753860002/

Having said that, your point still stands, it's not official yet.

🍻

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

You forgot the drama around...ERTZ!

I actually though about throwing TE's and Ertz in there but that would give me 11 storylines, and who's ever heard of a Top 11 list?

😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to Top 10 Bills off-season storylines
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair point.

The announcement followed a three year stadium feasibility study the Pegulas had commissioned.  It looks like the study concluded that an open roofed stadium in OP was the best option and the Pegulas have agreed with it.  I don't think Kim and Terry would spend more money on the concept if they hadn't already made up their minds.  For what it's worth, here's a link on a short article about it.  

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2021/06/19/report-states-buffalo-bills-build-new-stadium-orchard-park/7753860002/

Having said that, your point still stands, it's not official yet.

🍻

I actually though about throwing TE's and Ertz in there but that would give me 11 storylines, and who's ever heard of a Top 11 list?

😉

In your defense, unless it was edited you said “it looks like” the new stadium will be in OP, and that is in fact true. It does LOOK that way. I never read that item was a certainty. 

• Like (+1) 1

From a message board perspective it's been:

1. Can we keep this roster together?

2. Yes we can.

3. Zach Ertz

4. Wow we drafted some tall dudes

5. Zach Ertz?

6. Cole Beasley: Anti-Vaxxer 

7. New stadium in the works 

8. I heard Zach Ertz just followed Mighty Taco on twitter, he must be coming to Buffalo

9. How fat did Star Lotulelei get in his year off?

10. Does Zach Ertz dunk his wings in blue cheese or ranch?

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great list.

I agree with everything except for #5. They have NOT decided to build a new stadium, they decided to invest some money to hire consultants to help them explore/market the idea.  So they spend a few million bucks and then their consultants may not may not determine they can even get the right financial support. We are a long long was from a new stadium.

They could’ve saved the consultant $$ by conducting stadium polls and reviewing pertinent topic threads on TBD…the groupthink on here is just as solid if not more so! :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

They could’ve saved the consultant $$ by conducting stadium polls and reviewing pertinent topic threads on TBD…the groupthink on here is just as solid if not more so! :w00t:

"Extremely Solid"!  Eyes rolling......Pretty funny how groupthink results in such crazy mayhem here.....

BTW @Inigo Montoya solid list nice job!  And I agree 110% on #3....not earth shattering but a nice way to go and never under estimate sleeping in your own beds!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To your preamble in Point 4 ("The competition for a starting spot on the O-Line is going to be stout in camp..."), I think the question really focuses on the IOL.  We're looking at things from a Bills Fans perspective - "How do we get past KC so as to get to the Big Dance?"  Answer - "We have to put Patrick Mahomes on the ground", hence two DL at the top of the draft.  Well, consider that there are about 5 teams behind the Bills that want to move from the Final 8 to the Final 4 (Cleveland, Baltimore, Nashville, etc...you can make your own list).  What's the question that they're asking?  "How to we get past Buffalo so that we can get to the Final 4?"  Answer - "We have to put Josh Allen on the ground."  I wouldn't call IOL a "weak spot".  But I'd certainly call it a "question mark".  Those are three critical positions.

• Agree 1

Allen2, I laughed so hard on you’re post I almost coughed.

Inigo my Spaniard swordsman, very well written.  I particularly liked the “in no particular order”.  I’m sure Virg was happy.

Seriously, great post and very thoughtful as you must’ve put a good deal of work into it.  I was waiting for someone to bust chops on the Ertz thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There is a reason organization hire consultants.  They hire consultants because they have a certain expertise/experience.  Furthermore the results on the consultants will be viewed as less opportunistic, Who know the real motive for hiring the consultants, maybe they did it just get keep the stadium dialogue alive and buoy fan hopes.  Reviewing topics on TDB would result in incredibly skewed and unscientific/unreliable results.  I dont think those posting on TBD represent that "average" BB fan.