Dwayne Haskins.......toof knocked out by wife in Vegas altercation

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Question: what/who are "DV people"? (I do understand the abbreviation to mean domestic violence, mind you.) Odd phrasing to my ear/eye.

Just first responders/social workers/law enforcement types? Or, like...fans of it?

Good grief, what a question.  Yes, intended as shorthand for first responders/prosecutors/social workers/shelter workers/counselors/support groups.  I take your point, but got a better term?  I meant more broadly than law enforcement and also to encompass peers and volunteers, not just professionals in the field.

I suppose there must be "fans" since there are sick puppies in every endeavor, but 🤮

On 7/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Once a young guy gets sufficiently oiled, whatever decisions (good or bad) he made in a sober state go fluttering off like evening swallows seeking a roost.  Has been that way, will be that way.

"Pre-gaming" being a Big Thing with the 20 year old set these days, when asked "was Haskins already too drunk to think when he headed out for the evening?"  the Magic 8 Ball says "almost certainly so".

That's likely to be the root cause bad decision - getting real drunk without having a backup plan to hand his decision making off to someone who remained capable.

Pre-game?   I'd say "OK Boomer" but even my parents generation had indulged long before they got to the floor at Caesar's.   Vegas is game on all day.............if it's in a cup you can be drinking all day and you don't need a car to get anywhere.

That said.........it also sounds obvious that they were doing bachelor/bachelorette parties.........which are generally planned well ahead by the bride and groom.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good grief, what a question.  Yes, intended as shorthand for first responders/prosecutors/social workers/shelter workers/counselors/support groups.  I take your point, but got a better term?  I meant more broadly than law enforcement and also to encompass peers and volunteers, not just professionals in the field.

I suppose there must be "fans" since there are sick puppies in every endeavor, but 🤮

Just busting beef. My sense of humor isn't always...uplifting.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's another song those officers have heard before - someone who shows physical signs of abuse holds back from testimony that could lead to charges because they don't want to damage the livelihood of the person who may have committed the abuse (or initially testifies, then recants)

I'm not saying that Haskins did anything wrong, I'm just saying there are a few clues that he may have had a physical part in a physical altercation and there may have been a reason his wife/fiance took a swing at him (if she did)

Yes, allegations of domestic abuse are often recanted in court, but when a police officer enters into a domestic dispute in which a person has a missing tooth, black eye, etc., somebody is leaving in handcuffs. I know of 2 current, prominent politicians in NYS who would have been arrested for having been in similar situations in the old days (I will not elaborate). This was before the OJ case, which changed police department policies and even laws (The Lautenberg Law for example) across America.

Cops would come in with robbery arrests and be told to "watch their overtime."  Others would bring in a domestic Assault 3 (misdemeanor assault, which would be the correct classification for this case in NYS) and be told "great job." Bosses were in fear of law suits and/or disciplinary action up to removal for NOT making arrests on domestics.

As for the non-bolded, I strongly agree. Although I have seen it once or twice, it is extremely rare for a woman to just punch out a man unless she feels that she is in danger or is provoked in other ways. 

I wasn't there and have no way of knowing for sure but experience tells me that Haskins had some part in this, and I am not trying to justify violence.  

Even aided by good old alcohol, it is a big decision to physically attack an NFL player who is a genetic mutant, and quite possibly crazed on steroids. We may think of him as "just a qb," but he takes hits from men the size of Marcel Dareus, as well as the human missile safeties. Hits from normal humans might not even hurt him.

As I said, it happens but not so often. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BigDingus said:

"...at a Las Vegas hotel..."

Seems either Vegas or hotels (or both) is involved with these altercations.

Athletes just seem to struggle when hotels are involved 😂

I’d say “they should obviously AirBnB instead” but as I recall, Johnny Manziel and Antonio Brown got in trouble there too.

Maybe some of them should just Stay Home and theresthecutestblckandwhitehummingbirdpreeningonmyelectricalwire get drunk?  After all, if you’re working towards puking drunk, one bathroom is much like another.

Wasn’t that behind the post-game parties Jim Kelly threw for the team at his house?  Figuring out that the team had a better chance of avoiding unfavorable media or law enforcement if they got liquored up and shenanigan’d in private?

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Is he going to be able to play QB now? 

This is a version of the joke about “doctor, will I be able to play the piano after my broken arm heals?”, isn’t it?