Several teams mulling trade for Xavien Howard

6 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Pretty much exactly as I speculated earlier. This is a guy with no guarantees after this year saying to his team we need to do something about that rather than saying he needs a higher average per year.

59 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Why would any team seriously go after him when he agrees to a deal and then a short time later tries to shake the team down for more.

I want nothing to do with him.

I confess I have more sympathy with him. When he signed that contract Miami were mid tear down, had just hired a new Head Coach and most people expected them to be really bad in 2019. Indeed they were through 4 weeks they were on pace to be the worst team of all time - losing their first 4 games by an average of 34 points. At that point a contract that basically only really tied the two together for 3 years probably made a lot of sense to Howard. Two years later and they have made significant strides and your star player comes back to you and says "look I am bought in, I want to be here and I am not really asking for more money I am just asking for some of what I am due in years 4, 5 and 6 to be guaranteed" I think the Dolphins should have met him halfway on that and it seems from his side at least as though is team made a number of suggestions as to how that might be workable and Miami said no every time. Of course Miami might have a different take on how this went down but to me it has always likely been about guaranteeing some of what he is owed. That is what the Bills did with Diggs this year. It is what you do with star players still performing at a high level. My take is Miami has not played this particularly well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I confess I have more sympathy with him. When he signed that contract Miami were mid tear down, had just hired a new Head Coach and most people expected them to be really bad in 2019. Indeed they were through 4 weeks they were on pace to be the worst team of all time - losing their first 4 games by an average of 34 points. At that point a contract that basically only really tied the two together for 3 years probably made a lot of sense to Howard. Two years later and they have made significant strides and your star player comes back to you and says "look I am bought in, I want to be here and I am not really asking for more money I am just asking for some of what I am due in years 4, 5 and 6 to be guaranteed" I think the Dolphins should have met him halfway on that and it seems from his side at least as though is team made a number of suggestions as to how that might be workable and Miami said no every time. Of course Miami might have a different take on how this went down but to me it has always likely been about guaranteeing some of what he is owed. That is what the Bills did with Diggs this year. It is what you do with star players still performing at a high level. My take is Miami has not played this particularly well. 

Well said. This is why I don’t think Miami is a threat. Flores doesn’t respect his players all that much. Yanking guys in and out of the lineup. Cutting guys left and right and giving no explanation (Van Noy) specifically 

Tua better be good Or Flores is going to try to having trouble keeping that team together with Jacoby Brisset as his relief pitcher 

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Why would any team seriously go after him when he agrees to a deal and then a short time later tries to shake the team down for more.

I want nothing to do with him.

I’m not a fan of this argument-teams do the same thing to players all the time. Just look at the threads on here calling for the Bills to cut Addison, Morse, Ford, etc… 

not saying I want the Bills to get Howard, I definitely don’t, but the whole contract thing is a two way street that only the players get run over on by fans and media 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On the flip side, Xavien always had a lingering injury and was never as good as he was in 2020. The team's record didn't bother him when Miami was losing but its an issue now? He didn't even play half of that '19 season because of an injury.

Jones was better than Xavien thus Miami signing him to the most lucrative contract for a corner. They also drafted a 1st round corner because as I said, Howard had lingering issues (two season-ending IR lists back to back) . He goes on to have his best season in his career and wants more guaranteed money after being just an above average corner the previous three years. 

Just now, DolFAN93 said:

On the flip side, Xavien always had a lingering injury and was never as good as he was in 2020. The team's record didn't bother him when Miami was losing but its an issue now? He didn't even play half of that '19 season because of an injury.

Jones was better than Xavien thus Miami signing him to the most lucrative contract for a corner. They also drafted a 1st round corner because as I said, Howard had lingering issues (two season-ending IR lists back to back) . He goes on to have his best season in his career and wants more guaranteed money after being just an above average corner the previous three years. 

I agree 2020 was a career year for him indeed I made that point in another thread just last week. My point on the record was he probably was in favour of the guarantees being front loaded while he waited to see how the rebuild went so that if it failed he would have a way of getting out while still close to his peak, but now they are a better team he wants to stay but as such wants some of that back end money guaranteeing. I think if it is truly just about that element (and obviously we only have his side) then Miami should be flexible enough to meet him in the middle somewhere. If he was asking for a lot more new money then I'd have sympathy with the Dolphins saying no. I do think Howard is better than Jones though. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree 2020 was a career year for him indeed I made that point in another thread just last week. My point on the record was he probably was in favour of the guarantees being front loaded while he waited to see how the rebuild went so that if it failed he would have a way of getting out while still close to his peak, but now they are a better team he wants to stay but as such wants some of that back end money guaranteeing. I think if it is truly just about that element (and obviously we only have his side) then Miami should be flexible enough to meet him in the middle somewhere. If he was asking for a lot more new money then I'd have sympathy with the Dolphins saying no. I do think Howard is better than Jones though. 

Gotcha. Hopefully they can work something out. Jones was viewed league wide as the better corner prior to 2020. DBs usually struggle in Flores' scheme the first year.

8 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Gotcha. Hopefully they can work something out. Jones was viewed league wide as the better corner prior to 2020. DBs usually struggle in Flores' scheme the first year.

Jones is another guy who to my mind has 1 "elite" year a couple of decent years and a couple of less good years behind him. I'd have he and Howard in a similar category of guys who at their best are capable of elite play but have been unable to demonstrate that level consistently for whatever reason. If the Dolphins were able to keep Howard and get he and Jones both at their best in the same season then that would make them a very tough defense. 

12 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He said he’s willing to work with management to help both sides. Can something like this happen here? Can the Bills rework his contract to give him upfront money? I’d gladly give the Dolphins a 1st rd pick in the 30s for a top notch CB opposite Tre Day.

If I were to give up a 1st round pick I'd rather go for a Chandler Jones as the D line is an area we weren't very strong in.  Doubt it would happen there either after drafting a D lineman 1st, 2nd this year and 2nd last season.

Overall don't think giving up a 1st for a CB is worth it as not a highly weak area of team.  We were one of the top pass defenses already without him or any top tier #2 CB.