Several teams mulling trade for Xavien Howard

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hopefully the Bills are in "win all the time" mode and not in "win now" mode. There's no reason the window for this team cannot remain wide open.

with a cornerstone qb they can win a lot all the time… but occasionally you have to put the chips on the table to go after a ring… and that rarely bankrupts you. 

this isn’t the guy I do it for though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

with a cornerstone qb they can win a lot all the time… but occasionally you have to put the chips on the table to go after a ring… and that rarely bankrupts you. 

this isn’t the guy I do it for though.

Yeah, if we go for a difference maker I would not target an area of strength on the team. We have our elite corner. Go for something we don't have, like an elite pass rusher, or an elite TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren’t exactly loaded at CB opposite Tre…. And would be looking pretty damn thin if Tre went down for a significant period of time. Not advocating for this trade. Just saying. 

That is true, for sure, but we don't have anyone who can consistently produce sacks on the defensive line.

And I trust McDermott to scrounge together an effective secondary. That's kind of his specialty. But a good 2nd CB would be nice. I just wouldn't want two of the highest paid corners in the league to achieve that, especially if we have to give up a 1st round pick for that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren’t exactly loaded at CB opposite Tre…. And would be looking pretty damn thin if Tre went down for a significant period of time. Not advocating for this trade. Just saying. 

Yeah true. I think we see D. Jackson a lot more also. He has shown that he can make plays. Would love to see him take the #2 at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, if we go for a difference maker I would not target an area of strength on the team. We have our elite corner. Go for something we don't have, like an elite pass rusher, or an elite TE.

I’m even fine with a very good CB2, but this guy wanting ELITE money and being who he is- I’m not racing. 

I said in a different thread that if not for the history a guy like Gilmore on a short deal for just shy of top dollar is more the fit there. Savvy vet on an end of career deal not the guy trying to reset the entire market at CB

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes, but investing that kind of money into that position would be a foolish use of resources.  

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Can’t blame him really. Hopefully he gets out of our division 

Why not?  He’s one year into his 5 year extension he just signed and wants more money.  

Keep dudes like that away from here 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Why not?  He’s one year into his 5 year extension he just signed and wants more money.  

I am with you. It’s one thing if he is like 3 years into a really bad deal. He is 1 year into a very fair market deal. 

If he wanted to “bet on himself,” then just sign 1 year deals. He assumed the risk of potentially being underpaid when he agreed to the security of a longer term deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’ll be fully honest, I would have let Bruce Smith sit when he wanted new deals right after signing a new deal. He can ask. I could say no. That’s just me.   🤷‍♂️

I’d rather take our chances with this FO drafting a CB in round one who would be cheap rather than giving up a first AND paying top dollar. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

I’ll be fully honest, I would have let Bruce Smith sit when he wanted new deals right after signing a new deal. He can ask. I could say no. That’s just me.   🤷‍♂️

I’d rather take our chances with this FO drafting a CB in round one who would be cheap rather than giving up a first AND paying top dollar. 

Yea but if we are in the super bowl this year, you might think twice about not filling the hole at CB2 more immediately. 

(again, not pointing at this guy but… generally speaking)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea but if we are in the super bowl this year, you might think twice about not filling the hole at CB2 more immediately. 

(again, not pointing at this guy but… generally speaking)

I see the need to upgrade the position, if only for very solid depth. I am NOT for adding a VERY expensive contract to roll the dice on one year. I’d like to be in the running EVERY year, and I trust our FO to figure out how to do that. 

I can’t describe how refreshing that felling is after SO MANY dismal years of false hope! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I see the need to upgrade the position, if only for very solid depth. I am NOT for adding a VERY expensive contract to roll the dice on one year. I’d like to be in the running EVERY year, and I trust our FO to figure out how to do that. 

I can’t describe how refreshing that felling is after SO MANY dismal years of false hope! 

Nailed it!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think you take advantage of an opportunity presented to you.... you can’t just say, “ah well that player would put us over the top this year, but that contract is hefty and no need to take it on because we will compete every year”.  Things change rapidly in this league. You can go for SB contender to middling team pretty damn quick, see the 49ers as an example (Again, not specifically talking about Howard, but if a good #2 corner became available already on a decent contract, it would be foolish for the Bills to not seriously consider pulling the trigger, IMO.)

So…….we agree? 

• Haha (+1) 1