QB coach Ken Dorsey promoted to “Passing Game Coordinator”

14 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Wouldnt be surprised if he calls plays during the preseason.

I hope they at least give him a half each game right next to Daboll in the booth would be good for his development.  They may want him up there in the regular season for part of the game if they really have a succession plan for Dorsey.

Its short sighted to think if we have another excellent offensive performance in 2021 that Daboll won’t get his HC job.  He’ll deserve it at that point.

Edited by machine gun kelly

6 hours ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

I agree that the better job is here, I'm just saying that I could see Dabol making a run at him

Something tells me if Daboll gets a HC job the first thing he does is NOT going to be burning bridges with McD by poaching coaches he knows McD intends to promote.

• Like (+1) 1

Think this pretty much confirms as others have said that Dorsey is the OC in waiting. It almost inevitably comes down to the Bills prioritising what Josh wants. Josh has a great relationship with Dabes but also a very good relationship by this point with Dorsey. That QB-OC relationship matters. It does, however, increase the risk we lose Chad Hall. Because that guy is going to be an OC sooner rather than later. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MRW said:

Aw man, so now our opponents just need to see who sends in a play. If it's Dorsey they'll know it's a pass.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If it’s anyone, they’ll know it’s a pass

image.jpeg.1a14aadee88301736b040bf9b7a066e3.jpeg

"Tired of not knowing what the opposition's offense is going to do?  Buy my video 'Successful Coaching Strategies' for some timely (if a bit shady) coaching (and electronic) tips!"

1 hour ago, eball said:

Something tells me if Daboll gets a HC job the first thing he does is NOT going to be burning bridges with McD by poaching coaches he knows McD intends to promote.

McD knows how this works-It will depend on the relationship Dorsey has with both guys. Obviously we all would like to see Dorsey stay to keep the continuity, and Dorsey may want to stay because of Josh, but I don’t think you are burning bridges by offering jobs to guys he knows. Daboll may also want to call his own plays and might not have an interest in bringing Dorsey with him. In any event, I don’t think it is as big a deal to the coaches when guys “poach” other coaches as it is to the fans 

29 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

McD knows how this works-It will depend on the relationship Dorsey has with both guys. Obviously we all would like to see Dorsey stay to keep the continuity, and Dorsey may want to stay because of Josh, but I don’t think you are burning bridges by offering jobs to guys he knows. Daboll may also want to call his own plays and might not have an interest in bringing Dorsey with him. In any event, I don’t think it is as big a deal to the coaches when guys “poach” other coaches as it is to the fans 

Agree with the bolded. Every Head Coach was once a position coach trying to make his way up the ladder. They understand that you have to take decisions for the good of your career long term. If Daboll gets a HC job and wants to take a couple of guys with him then those coaches might think "I better go because a new OC might not want me." You do reduce that risk when you create a really strong staff with continuity and an ability to promote from within, but it still exists. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think this pretty much confirms as others have said that Dorsey is the OC in waiting. It almost inevitably comes down to the Bills prioritising what Josh wants. Josh has a great relationship with Dabes but also a very good relationship by this point with Dorsey. That QB-OC relationship matters. It does, however, increase the risk we lose Chad Hall. Because that guy is going to be an OC sooner rather than later. 

It is exciting to have so many great assistant coaches... wasn't that long ago we struggled to find a decent head coach

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

It's often agreed upon behind the scenes who you're allowed to take and who you aren't allowed to take.  

It's a fairly big deal so they sort it out ahead of time. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with the bolded. Every Head Coach was once a position coach trying to make his way up the ladder. They understand that you have to take decisions for the good of your career long term. If Daboll gets a HC job and wants to take a couple of guys with him then those coaches might think "I better go because a new OC might not want me." You do reduce that risk when you create a really strong staff with continuity and an ability to promote from within, but it still exists. 

I'm not sure this makes sense in the context of Dorsey? Dorsey is set up to be the next OC here with Josh... where both are very comfortable with each other... why would Dorsey follow Daboll? When Daboll leaves and Dorsey moves up don't you think coaches have already discussed where they stand with Dorsey and the organization as a whole?

A succession plan is already in place. The only guys leaving are the guys they're ok with leaving. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Healthy organizations engage in succession planning in the ordinary course.  (Does yours?)

Yes. People are being groomed for certain roles... maybe not outwardly for every person (some know they're being groomed to take over position X while others don't)... but the things that they're exposed to are preparing them for future duties.

The higher ups are aware and keep tabs/place people in certain circles for specific reasons.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I'm not sure this makes sense in the context of Dorsey? Dorsey is set up to be the next OC here with Josh... where both are very comfortable with each other... why would Dorsey follow Daboll? When Daboll leaves and Dorsey moves up don't you think coaches have already discussed where they stand with Dorsey and the organization as a whole?

A succession plan is already in place. The only guys leaving are the guys they're ok with leaving. 

I wasn't making that point at all. I was making a general point about Head Coaches not resenting Coordinators who leave to become Head Coaches taking other staff. I don't know where you got the idea I thought Dorsey was likely to go with Dabes. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't making that point at all. I was making a general point about Head Coaches not resenting Coordinators who leave to become Head Coaches taking other staff. I don't know where you got the idea I thought Dorsey was likely to go with Dabes. 

The post you were replying to was someone mulling over the idea of Dorsey going with Daboll or staying with us and you never stated otherwise in your post.

May have just mashed it all together in my head lol

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The post you were replying to was someone mulling over the idea of Dorsey going with Daboll or staying with us and you never stated otherwise in your post.

May have just mashed it all together in my head lol

I said I was specifically agreeing with the bold point which was the more general "coaches don't get as angry about coaches getting poached as fans". 

Dorsey will replace Daboll if he leaves after this season. If Daboll stays we could lose Dorsey elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree.  Unless Daboll thinks he will need another job under McD in the future, why wouldn't take with him whoever he can get?  What bridges does that burn?

15 hours ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Dabol grooming him, just hope he doesn't try poaching him as soon as he gets a HC job. I could see Dabol  wanting him and Trubinski

If it's Trubinski, Dorsey definitely stays.  Same goes for Trubisky.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  What has Barkley said or done that gives you the impression 1) he wants to coach 2) he would be a good QB coach

Nothing.  I don't know if he wants to coach in the NFL.  He is unemployed though, has experience in this system, is well liked by the organization, and many former QB's become QB coaches.  He'd be hard pressed to find a job that pays more if he does retire.

8 hours ago, eball said:

Why do you think that?  A lot would depend on if Daboll wants to call his own plays if he gets a HC job.  If he wants to install the same offense but let someone else call plays, why wouldn't he want to bring someone with him that he is familiar.