Jalen Ramsey doesn't have a problem with Buffalo now, would you?

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

If you are comparing "body of work" then Gilmore has been better.

I'm talking about going into 2021. You didn't include Alexander from Green Bay who many consider to be top DB in the league. White is no doubt in the discussion but in my mind he is just a notch below top 3. 

I agree body of work Gilmore is still a top half dozen corner in my mind but you have to look at a guy turning 30 and having his poorest year for a number of years. A few of the guys who for the last half decade have been solidly in the elite group - Gilmore, Slay, Hayward - showed regression in 2020 as they turned 30, 30 and 31 respectively.

Alexander is another example of over valuing just 2020. I like the kid, he is a really good corner. But he has had two solid years and one elite year. People are so affected by recency bias in these conversations. This time a couple of years ago after an elite 2018 season the number of lists I saw that ranked Kyle Fuller as a top 5 corner was ridiculous. He did not maintain that elite level of play (or anything close to it) in 2019 and 2020 and the Bears released him in March. You can't be a top 5 corner to my mind until you have got multiple years of elite level play behind you. If Alexander is elite again in 2021 then he moves into that top 5. I think he probably will, he is really talented, but only looking at the most recent season is a really bad way to value and rank players. There is a difference between playing at an elite level - which Alexander and Howard did in 2020 - and being an elite player. The latter requires you to back it up. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree body of work Gilmore is still a top half dozen corner in my mind but you have to look at a guy turning 30 and having his poorest year for a number of years. A few of the guys who for the last half decade have been solidly in the elite group - Gilmore, Slay, Hayward - showed regression in 2020 as they turned 30, 30 and 31 respectively.

Alexander is another example of over valuing just 2020. I like the kid, he is a really good corner. But he has had two solid years and one elite year. People are so affected by recency bias in these conversations. This time a couple of years ago after an elite 2018 season the number of lists I saw that ranked Kyle Fuller as a top 5 corner was ridiculous. He did not maintain that elite level of play (or anything close to it) in 2019 and 2020 and the Bears released him in March. You can't be a top 5 corner to my mind until you have got multiple years of elite level play behind you. If Alexander is elite again in 2021 then he moves into that top 5. I think he probably will, he is really talented, but only looking at the most recent season is a really bad way to value and rank players. There is a difference between playing at an elite level - which Alexander and Howard did in 2020 - and being an elite player. The latter requires you to back it up. 

This is a reasonable approach.  I think it is just a difference in assessing past performance and predicting future performance.  

As for how you assess Alexander, I think the same can be said for White, he has had one truly elite season and the others have been very good.  All of this is nit-picking as White is a true #1 corner.  Does it really matter if he is top 3 or top 5 or top 7?  No.  He is the Bills top corner and if all remain healthy, the Bills secondary is an elite unit.  

4 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

Total bum. I've never seen him "lock down" anyone. Especially VS Buffalo... Dude just gets abused. Overpriced Hype-man. Never understood the love he gets. 

You apparently don't watch many of his games

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/13/rams-jalen-ramsey-stats-coverage-top-wrs/

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is a reasonable approach.  I think it is just a difference in assessing past performance and predicting future performance.  

As for how you assess Alexander, I think the same can be said for White, he has had one truly elite season and the others have been very good.  All of this is nit-picking as White is a true #1 corner.  Does it really matter if he is top 3 or top 5 or top 7?  No.  He is the Bills top corner and if all remain healthy, the Bills secondary is an elite unit.  

White has been elite 2 and a half of the last 3 seasons.

2 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

I watch the games where he's getting smoked by buffalo wide outs, and Josh Allen... dude makes Whitner look like an All Pro. 

Comparing a corner to a safety huh?  You know Ramsey has played other games not against the Bills.  If he's not the best corner in the league, he's in the top 3.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

I watch the games where he's getting smoked by buffalo wide outs, and Josh Allen... dude makes Whitner look like an All Pro. 

What games are you watching? He rarely if ever gets smoked by anyone he's covering. Even Diggs only got 4 for 49 off him last year. The others DBs got torched by Beasley and Davis though. You don't have to like him, I sure as heck don't. But he is an elite player at his position.

12 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

What games are you watching? He rarely if ever gets smoked by anyone he's covering. Even Diggs only got 4 for 49 off him last year. The others DBs got torched by Beasley and Davis though. You don't have to like him, I sure as heck don't. But he is an elite player at his position.

Meh, gimme White 300x over. Loudest mouth in the room is always weak inside. His decline will be precipitous. 

On 7/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, From Roc to Ky bills fan said:

I understand the sentiment, but the thread title is terrible.

Ramsey likes Tre’ White and would love to team with him.  I don’t see anything that suggests he would like Buffalo or to do that in Buffalo.

This is a nothing burger and Ramsey is not and would not come to Buffalo unless it was his last chance at a contract.  Money is his driver and that is all.

• Dislike 1