Richard Sherman Arrested

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Sounds like he broke into a former girlfriend's place.  Certainly, it wouldn't have been a random burglary to acquire stolen goods to make some extra money.

He's married with 2 kids, and his been with the same women for quite a while now.

There's a lot to this story.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Of course they're correlated.  Don't be the person who lives by the exception and not the rule. That throws out the facts because 1 person out of 1000 breaks the rules. Statistics matter.  No one cares that Richard Sherman is black.  Or has dreadlocks.  Every time a celebrity of any kind gets arrested you'll have people convict them before their day in court.  It's the price of fame.  Has nothing to do with race.  People love to see people fall from grace. 

Yeah, I'll just paint with a broad brush since the correlation exists most of the time.  What's the harm in throwing a few outliers in there, right?  Works with capital punishment well enough.  A few "oopsies" here and there don't really matter to anyone.

Don't be the person who says that no one cares that Richard Sherman is black or has dreadlocks.  Just read the comments.

There are no details about what happened.  None.  But right away, multiple people claimed how this comes as no surprise.

And the reasons they've given are horrible.

I'll stop now.  No interest in getting into a pissing match with you or anyone else.  I do appreciate keeping the dialogue respectful, so thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't know about the SAT (I didn't do any prep), but for the LSAT (which, btw, Mensa accepts for admission), test prep makes a huge difference.  I've witnessed a lot of folks go from mid-150s (slightly above average) to 168-172 because of intensive test prep.  That's the difference between going to Duke vs. Georgia State School of Law.

48 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I like when people call Richard Sherman smart.  Maybe for a football player but the guy got a 990 and 1080 on his SAT.  He's no brain surgeon.

*edit.  I see someone already mentioned that.

I was lucky enough to be born into a family who could afford to send me to a specific SAT prep class at Huntington Learning Center.

I scored a 1360.

You guys have seen my posting, right?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know about good dude, but he’s always been relatively smart.  He’s a Stanford grad., and you don’t get in there even if you’re are a great athlete unless you’re very bright.  

this was a surprise to me.  I never pegged him for a dumb decision, but my guess and just a guess befor knowing anything, it’s a relationship that became ugly  and trying to get something back important to him.

who knows?  She could have done something rotten and he handled badly.  Then again, he not be who he portrays himself to be either.  It will eventually come out.  It always does at some point.

For his sake, I hope he was just a jolted guy trying to get back a momento or something.

Yep. The burglary thing immed made me think of what I've seen a few times. Again educated guess, but forcibly taking a cell phone away, and or possibly smashing it after an argument or him seeing something he didn't like in there. Pretty common

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

No, but you have to be smart to be a brain surgeon.  It's just a saying. Did he actually earn a masters from Stanford.? I went to a top 25 school that had a football program.  The athletes are completely catered to.  Extra help, tutors, everything.  I've also seen some shady things I wont even get into.  Things are completely different for athletes than the general student.

Athletes get perks, yes.  And the way bigtime college athletics is set up is a joke to begin with.  For the majority of schools, they'll take anyone who can write their name and then stick them in a bunch of bogus classes to keep them eligible (e.g., North Carolina). But playing football is essentially a full-time job for them.  It ain't easy, physically or mentally, busting your butt the way these guys do at top college football programs, and then trying to play the role of full-time student as well.  

Having said that, Stanford does have much higher academic standards for incoming athletes than the rest of Division I.  I too attended a top-25 school with high-major Division I athletic programs (football, basketball, baseball, etc.).  It was well known that the "true student athletes" first choice was almost always Stanford.  There were many football and basketball recruits where we had to sit and hope that they wouldn't clear Stanford admissions, so we could get them at our prestigious university.  As I said, Stanford pretty thoroughly vets their incoming athletes.  If Sherman got into Stanford with a 1080 SAT (not sure if this is true, but it's been quoted in this thread), you can be sure there were plenty of other non-athletic (academic, leadership, community involvement) factors that led to him receiving a Stanford offer (like being a salutatorian and having a 4.2 GPA).  The guy clearly isn't intellectually stupid (I'll reserve judgment on Sherman's decision-making until the facts of this case come to light).

Also, as an aside, there's plenty of shady behavior and systematic cheating among the general student population at top schools.  Heck, in my fraternity we had a huge test bank and term paper library that we could use if needed (I didn't, but it was certainly available to me). It's not exclusive to athletes. 

28 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Oh wow.  Then you are really lost.  You don't believe intelligence is negatively correlated to violent crime.  You think violent crime is equally distributed across all intelligence levels?  When did the facts stop mattering to you?  Did you write the date down?

Post your data.

19 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Of course they're correlated.  Don't be the person who lives by the exception and not the rule. That throws out the facts because 1 person out of 1000 breaks the rules. Statistics matter.  No one cares that Richard Sherman is black.  Or has dreadlocks.  Every time a celebrity of any kind gets arrested you'll have people convict them before their day in court.  It's the price of fame.  Has nothing to do with race.  People love to see people fall from grace. 

This really isn't a great path you're on, because it leads to some fairly controversial conclusions around intelligence and race.

Intelligence testing itself isn't a settled science, so it's a bit dangerous to draw conclusions.

I think it's safer to suggest that there's a correlation between criminality and economic environment. AKA survivalism.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/14/nfl-star-richard-sherman-arrested-for-burglary-domestic-violence-in-county-jail/

Cops say when they arrived on scene, they identified Sherman as the suspect ... and claim he became uncooperative and combative during questioning.

Sherman allegedly fought with cops so much ... we're told a K9 was deployed to take down the NFL player and help bring him into custody.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Athletes get perks, yes.  And the way bigtime college athletics is set up is a joke to begin with.  For the majority of schools, they'll take anyone who can write their name and then stick them in a bunch of bogus classes to keep them eligible (e.g., North Carolina). But playing football is essentially a full-time job for them.  It ain't easy, physically or mentally, busting your butt the way these guys do at top college football programs, and then trying to play the role of full-time student as well.  

Having said that, Stanford does have much higher academic standards for incoming athletes than the rest of Division I.  I too attended a top-25 school with high-major Division I athletic programs (football, basketball, baseball, etc.).  It was well known that the "true student athletes" first choice was almost always Stanford.  There were many football and basketball recruits where we had to sit and hope that they wouldn't clear Stanford admissions, so we could get them at our prestigious university.  As I said, Stanford pretty thoroughly vets their incoming athletes.  If Sherman got into Stanford with a 1080 SAT (not sure if this is true, but it's been quoted in this thread), you can be sure there were plenty of other non-athletic (academic, leadership, community involvement) factors that led to him receiving a Stanford offer (like being a salutatorian and having a 4.2 GPA).  The guy clearly isn't intellectually stupid (I'll reserve judgment on Sherman's decision-making until the facts of this case come to light).

Also, as an aside, there's plenty of shady behavior and systematic cheating among the general student population at top schools.  Heck, in my fraternity we had a huge test bank and term paper library that we could use if needed (I didn't, but it was certainly available to me). It's not exclusive to athletes. 

I went to a mid major and a football player that transferred from a big program to our school because he wasn't getting playing time.

He asked me to proof read his essay before he turns it in.  It was a 5 page essay.

This dude, good guy, had about a 2nd grade education level.  The entire 5 page, he didn't use one punctuation....not a single one.  It was a 5 page run on sentence.  

He was eligible to play every year lol!  

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

This really isn't a great path you're on, because it leads to some fairly controversial conclusions around intelligence and race.

Intelligence testing itself isn't a settled science, so it's a bit dangerous to draw conclusions.

I think it's safer to suggest that there's a correlation between criminality and economic environment. AKA survivalism.

The one thing that's kind of a pattern...many serial killers had very high IQ's!