Richard Sherman Arrested

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

He also was his school's salutatorian, was voted most likely to succeed and graduated with a 4.2 GPA.  He's no dummy.

That may be true, but as Harry Callahan once said, a man’s got to know his limitations. 

21 minutes ago, appoo said:

You realize he grew up in, and went to school in, Compton? He didn't exactly have the same educational/college prep opportunities as the vast majority of HS kids who took that test.

That 1100 is equivalent to a much higher score if he attended a public school in a middle class suburb.

how much do you think test prep raises scores?  i've seen data showing the greatest increase (repeatable, anyone can have a bad day and get a low score and regress to a higher mean by rewriting the test) being in the context of like 50-75 points, and that only happens for high (1350+) scoring people prior to the test prep.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If I had to venture an educated guess, as it's being investigated as a felony...that may indicate that a firearm was present. 

Why do you say that? Burglary is already a felony by itself.

39 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

OK - first off - I will admit this will come across racist but the "thug" mentality he exhibits tends to make me believe more than not he has a deficit in his character make up.  I know it sounds racist but the optics to me are hard to shake.  Compound that with the fact that he is in the NFL....pressures abound and what not and it seem like quite a few players make some of the damndest decisions known.

My man... WTF are you even referring to?

That ONE TIME he yelled in the face of a little white lady reporter because he was still hyped since it was immediately after he broke up a pass to clinch the game?

There is literally nothing on his record that could or should be categorized as "thug", except that he is black and out-spoken.

You called it yourself, twice, this is racist garbage. If you have to qualify it once, let alone twice, maybe better to not say it at all.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know about good dude, but he’s always been relatively smart.  He’s a Stanford grad., and you don’t get in there even if you’re are a great athlete unless you’re very bright.  

this was a surprise to me.  I never pegged him for a dumb decision, but my guess and just a guess befor knowing anything, it’s a relationship that became ugly  and trying to get something back important to him.

who knows?  She could have done something rotten and he handled badly.  Then again, he not be who he portrays himself to be either.  It will eventually come out.  It always does at some point.

For his sake, I hope he was just a jolted guy trying to get back a momento or something.

That defense in Vegas turned out pretty meh for the Juice…😉

3 minutes ago, colin said:

how much do you think test prep raises scores?  i've seen data showing the greatest increase (repeatable, anyone can have a bad day and get a low score and regress to a higher mean by rewriting the test) being in the context of like 50-75 points, and that only happens for high (1350+) scoring people prior to the test prep.

I don't know about the SAT (I didn't do any prep), but for the LSAT (which, btw, Mensa accepts for admission), test prep makes a huge difference.  I've witnessed a lot of folks go from mid-150s (slightly above average) to 168-172 because of intensive test prep.  That's the difference between going to Duke vs. Georgia State School of Law.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, colin said:

This really isn't the place to debate social/educational issues and policy...but I wasn't speaking to test prep.  It's a much more basic, and tangible level. The math and verbal skills that are tested on the SATs, aren't taught at the same level of proficiency across America, and there are also a lot of environmental factors that come into play as well, both in and out of school.

Suffice it to say, that when it comes to the SATs, that kids from poor, overcrowded, higher crime area have a lot of barriers infront of them they have to overcome that kids from NOT those kind of areas wouldn't have. Same is proably true of really poor rural distrincts.

SAT testing tends to advantage kids in well to do areas and private schools.

Basically it's a HORRIBLE way of measuring the intelligence of a student, or determining who is or isn't deserving of college admission.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That ONE TIME he yelled in the face of a little white lady reporter because he was still hyped since it was immediately after he broke up a pass to clinch the game?

There is literally nothing on his record that could or should be categorized as "thug", except that he is black and out-spoken.

You called it yourself, twice, this is racist garbage. If you have to qualify it once, let alone twice, maybe better to not say it at all.

The way he played on the field was thuggish.  That's why he's so good.

Other than him not being a Buffalo Bill during his best years I have no gripe about his actions.

30 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Per article on ESPN regarding the bail denial:

The records state he was denied bail but a spokesman for the Redmond (Washington) Police Department told ESPN that is standard procedure for suspects in a domestic violence incident until they can appear before a judge.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31816786/richard-sherman-arrested-domestic-violence-charge-denied-bail

Also:

The spokesman, who would not confirm the name of the person taken into custody, said a 911 call from the residence was received at 2 a.m. PT. The person calling said that an adult male family member who did not live at the residence was attempting to force his way into the home.

When police arrived, the suspect was located outside the home. He fought with police but was eventually apprehended and taken to a local hospital to be checked but was cleared and then booked into the King County Correctional Facility.

Well I glad that bail denial was just standard procedure until he can appear in front of a judge. Ill just wait until the rest of the facts come out in this case for now

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I like when people call Richard Sherman smart.  Maybe for a football player but the guy got a 990 and 1080 on his SAT.  He's no brain surgeon.

I'd be willing to bet that he's smart enough to know how silly it is to gauge someone's intelligence solely based upon a friggin' SAT score.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

I'd be willing to bet that he's smart enough to know how silly it is to gauge someone's intelligence solely based upon a friggin' SAT score.

The SAT is a much better gauge of someones IQ than a high school GPA or many other things for that matter.

• Dislike 1

Just now, soflabillsfan1 said:

The SAT is a much better gauge of someones IQ than a high school GPA or many other things for that matter.

For the 17-year-old children taking them ... perhaps.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I like when people call Richard Sherman smart.  Maybe for a football player but the guy got a 990 and 1080 on his SAT.  He's no brain surgeon.

*edit.  I see someone already mentioned that.

In a article it stated he had a 4.1 GPA which was " more than good enough to be accepted into Stanford" Where Im from the scale is 1-4 regarding GPA at least when I was in school so im not sure where the .1 comes into play

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Probably, one of these videos on the Players Tribune.  Comes across very thuggish and violent.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/videos/theyre-gonna-use-us-up-by-richard-sherman

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/videos/eat-well-play-well-richard-sherman-kelley-ohara-charity-morgan