Richard Sherman Arrested

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So if I compulsively punch old ladies in the supermarket I’m addicted to punching old ladies?  I suppose I should go to old lady punching rehab? 

I can help you overcome that addiction; but I can’t guarantee my methods work. No refunds, but I can write a flowery, 12 page report to make you look better. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So if I compulsively punch old ladies in the supermarket I’m addicted to punching old ladies?  I suppose I should go to old lady punching rehab? 

If you wake up saying and truly meaning you are not going to punch and old lady today, and then you go punch an old lady because you can't stop yourself no matter how hard you try and it causes you significant impacts in your life and happiness...then yes you would absolutely be dealing with a mental health issue.

Have you ever had anyone in your life deal with addiction?

Addiction is a brain chemistry thing anyway. I'm sure this isn't perfectly right, but close enough: addiction happens because your brain isn't getting enough dopamine because the addictive behavior has lead to a change in the way your brain gives out dopamine and starts to release only in the presence of certain factors (specific drug, sex, etc). If your brain starts requiring more of that thing to get the same amount of dopamine released then you have a person developing a tolerance and then you get into a spiral where things can get bad quick.

You really think that something that is extremely pleasurable and leads to a lot of dopamine release isn't capable of leading to serious addiction?

Shoot, having 70k fans cheering when you do something on a football field releases insane amounts of dopamine as well, which is a huge reason it's so hard for people to transition out of pro sport careers, and so many get into other behaviors that lead to large dopamine releases like drinking heavily.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:50 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is weird that I feel the need to defend Sherman because he has so often appeared just barely sane but his illness is likely being made worse by his likely retirement, or at least greatly diminished role. You do not become as accomplished as he has been without dedicating yourself to the game and using force to make it happen. I hope this is the worst thing he ever does and he gets the help he needs because at this point he is likely to either go down that rabbit hole all the way unless he learns how to control his emotions.

I think it was Eric Wood who said "you can do things on a football field that are severely illegal anywhere else"

For a lot of these guys, it's a cathartic release, and it's a struggle when they no longer have that.

Then there has to be the psychological whammy of going from a highly regarded, top player to not being offered a contract - though I wonder, now that this has come out, if it was quietly known around the league that Sherman was struggling with some sort of personal issue and there's a cause-and-effect chain where teams that might have offered him a deal, have held back.

41 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

If you wake up saying and truly meaning you are not going to punch and old lady today, and then you go punch an old lady because you can't stop yourself no matter how hard you try and it causes you significant impacts in your life and happiness...then yes you would absolutely be dealing with a mental health issue.

Have you ever had anyone in your life deal with addiction?

Addiction is a brain chemistry thing anyway. I'm sure this isn't perfectly right, but close enough: addiction happens because your brain isn't getting enough dopamine because the addictive behavior has lead to a change in the way your brain gives out dopamine and starts to release only in the presence of certain factors (specific drug, sex, etc). If your brain starts requiring more of that thing to get the same amount of dopamine released then you have a person developing a tolerance and then you get into a spiral where things can get bad quick.

You really think that something that is extremely pleasurable and leads to a lot of dopamine release isn't capable of leading to serious addiction?

Shoot, having 70k fans cheering when you do something on a football field releases insane amounts of dopamine as well, which is a huge reason it's so hard for people to transition out of pro sport careers, and so many get into other behaviors that lead to large dopamine releases like drinking heavily.

I hear ya, Bills brotha, and I was just joking with the grandma punching stuff.  I am aware of the biological mechanisms at work with respect to addiction.  I just feel, based on personal and professional experience, that sometimes the “addict card” is abused.  That’s all.  Agree to disagree about Tiger.  Meow.

• Like (+1) 1