Ben Roethlisberger pre-snap tell run vs pass

I wonder if this was picked up by the Bills, it appears that it is incredibly accurate and has been going on for years.

"As pointed out by @theoashnfl on TikTok and explained by Joe Hoefling of Deadspin.com, Roethlisberger has a very basic yet very clear pre-snap tell, which gives away whether the next play will be a run or a pass."

https://sports.yahoo.com/ben-roethlisberger-pre-snap-run-125226645.html

You would think if it was well known they would have done poorly offensively (e.g., line knows to rush the passer / attack the RB, safeties and LBers can focus on coverage or run support).

If I was a GM I would crowd source film review .. get the fans involved to look for these things on my team as well as the opponents.

6 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

If I was a GM I would crowd source film review .. get the fans involved to look for these things on my team as well as the opponents.

This can go both ways and lead to analysis paralysis.  That and how can you be sure your audience doesn't have ulterior motives?

32 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

This can go both ways and lead to analysis paralysis.  That and how can you be sure your audience doesn't have ulterior motives?

There are many ways to approach that, on of which would be to look for common themes (a system could do this) and then float the most likely to the top of the queue for somebody internal to the team to review.

• Like (+1) 1

This reminds me of when Tannehill was in Miami and had a similar tell. During his pre-snap cadence, he would either say “Go Go!” or “Go!” before the ball was snapped. If I remember correctly, “Go Go” was always a run and “Go” was a pass. 

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you look close enough at any QB, many of them do similar things pre-snap. There are some games where I can tell right away from the pre-snap body language or body position whether it is a handoff or not. 

Rodgers sometimes forgets to snap his chin strap back on and every time he does it’s a run play lol

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you look close enough at any QB, many of them do similar things pre-snap. There are some games where I can tell right away from the pre-snap body language or body position whether it is a handoff or not. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Rodgers sometimes forgets to snap his chin strap back on and every time he does it’s a run play lol

Yep, some qbs will not buckle the strap on a run... And subconsciously strap it up for a pass 

Some qbs Will leave the mouthpiece out for a run, and put it in for a pass 

It's like a subconscious thing that they don't even recognize

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I heard the same about either Tony Dorsett or Emmit Smith in their rookie year. If his strap was unbuckled, he wasn't getting the ball. A coach finally noticed and afterwards their running game improved greatly.

Edited by Wacka

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Was it Bernie Kosar who would sometimes have his feet even at the snap and sometimes have one foot back? One was a run, the other a pass. You’d think the Browns would have self-scouted that and FIXED IT. (Not positive it was him, but an important tell for somebody.) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

We have to remember that as fans watching the game, we often have better views of the QB and other things than the players do themselves. Not everyone on the defense has a view of the QB and can read his body language, especially when they are trying to focus on their individual assignments. Often your focus is on the player right across from you and how you will beat that player.

So certain things that we pick up from our eye in the sky might take longer down in the trenches, but absolutely players pick up stuff like that. And I'm sure that there are coaches and personnel that are looking for those things and pass them on when they see them as well.

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

and why couldnt this wait to come out until AFTER we play them in week 1?

Maybe the silver lining will be Ben being overly self-conscious.

If it's anything like last year, they pretty much pass it every single time anyway.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep, some qbs will not buckle the strap on a run... And subconsciously strap it up for a pass 

Some qbs Will leave the mouthpiece out for a run, and put it in for a pass 

It's like a subconscious thing that they don't even recognize

Wasn't there a baseball player who always adjusted his cap when he was going to try to steal a base?

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Regarding his hard count, yeah. He always kept his hands up.

It boggles my mind that it wasn't picked up by the coaches and corrected. Was no one in the building exposed to the Manning thing? It made me question the attention to detail of the coaching staff when the issue was discussed publicly, and it's something that's so easily correctable but nothing was done about it.

I tried my best... Twitter and calling into One Bills Live

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It boggles my mind that it wasn't picked up by the coaches and corrected. Was no one in the building exposed to the Manning thing? It made me question the attention to detail of the coaching staff when the issue was discussed publicly, and it's something that's so easily correctable but nothing was done about it.

I tried my best... Twitter and calling into One Bills Live

Yeah. Thankfully, the hard count ended up working in the playoffs. I forget if it was the Colts or Ravens, but he got a DE to jump for a key 1st down. 

10 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I wonder if this was picked up by the Bills, it appears that it is incredibly accurate and has been going on for years.

"As pointed out by @theoashnfl on TikTok and explained by Joe Hoefling of Deadspin.com, Roethlisberger has a very basic yet very clear pre-snap tell, which gives away whether the next play will be a run or a pass."

You would think if it was well known they would have done poorly offensively (e.g., line knows to rush the passer / attack the RB, safeties and LBers can focus on coverage or run support).

Like in the movie Safety where the running back gave away the call by tugging on his jersey. 

I wonder did a 10 year old kid who is a little brother see it on tape and let the players and coaches know hahaha

11 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I wonder the actual level of consistency. 

a guy not strapping his helmet is one thing. If Ben’s aware of the trend, he could start using it as a trick. They start selling out on it and suddenly he knows what the defense is doing and they think he’s doing the opposite thing on a big play.