Woman ducted tape to seat on American Airlines flight. Attacked flight attendants and tried to open the door.

Royale with Cheese

I don't have a problem with restraining someone who's tried opening an airplane door.  I do have a problem with the tape over the mouth though.  If the crew gets reprimanded for anything in this particular situation, it's going to be that detail.  

I think people who try to open doors mid-flight, charge the cockpit, and other let's crash the plane chicanery should face a mandatory jail sentence, mental health episode or not.  

What they don't say in that link that I've seen in other articles, is the TikTok user thought they went too far with how they restrained the passenger.  Um, excuse me? Someone trying to open a door mid-flight or make any disruption that could harm their fellow passengers, get what they deserve.  I noticed when I tried to find the original TT user video, their entire account has been deleted.  Must be they didn't like the feedback they were getting on their post. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I don't have a problem with restraining someone who's tried opening an airplane door.  I do have a problem with the tape over the mouth though.  If the crew gets reprimanded for anything in this particular situation, it's going to be that detail.  

I think people who try to open doors mid-flight, charge the cockpit, and other let's crash the plane chicanery should face a mandatory jail sentence, mental health episode or not.  

What if she was trying to bite people?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

If the crew gets reprimanded for anything in this particular situation, it's going to be that detail.  

Won't happen.

Attempting to open a door in flight is an attempt to take down the airplane.

Any force, including lethal, is authorized.

Aside, flight attendants go through recurrent training on a regular basis, and are trained in this type of thing, thus their actions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I always wonder when, if ever, people will understand that you cannot open a door in flight.

I always wonder when, if ever, people will understand the difference between "may" and "can."

Sure you CAN open a door in flight,  but you MAY NOT open a door in flightVA!

Anyway...  ¡Oye coma va! Why now so many psychotic episodes, or have they always happened... Are we just hearing about them more?

Before we were married, my wife was on a Greyhound bus years ago, in the early 1990s, on her way from Chicago to Champaign on I-57... A male passenger wigged out in a psychotic episode.  It was during a snowstorm.  The make passenger wanted the bus to stop during a white-out... He wanted to leave the bus... Dude be freaking!! He was going crazy, ranting in Spanish too. The bus driver told him that they were NOT going to stop, that it would be sure death if they did.  After pacing,  roaming up and down the bus aisle a few times, the Spanish-speaking crazy guy calmed down and sat in the empty seat righg next to my future wife... And... AND took off his shoes and started to clean them!😆🤣 The rest of the bus ride was uneventful,  except for the bilzzard.

Thanks to the honorable service and quick thinking of the bus driver, tragedy was averted and we've been happily married ever since.  My shoes will always be spotless,  even in the slop of winter with you by my side!😊💘

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I always wonder when, if ever, people will understand the difference between "may" and "can."

Sure you CAN open a door in flight,  but you MAY NOT open a door in flightVA!

No you can't.

It would take over 2000 pounds of strength to open one.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Then let he have at it.  Nothing to worry about. 😏

How did DB Cooper? Maybe it was the back door and it takes a lot less.

Cooper went out the rear door on a 727, and leads to an unpressurized tail section.

He also insisted the airplane remain unpressurized.

Wouldn't have worked if pressurized.

Completely different situation.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1

I added to the DB Cooper thing. That airplane was unpressurized, per his insistence.

To answer your question, once the cabin is depressurized, the doors will open, if other issues are resolved, which I won't go into.

Two examples.

An Airbus took off from Miami, had some sort of engine problem resulting in smoke.

On landing, because certain responses to the emergency caused certain systems to be unpowered, the airplane remained pressurized.

After shutting down the remaining engine at the gate, the airplane started depressurizing, reaching a point where a strong male flight attendant was able to open a door. He did so thinking that the still existing smoke was an issue. 

Eventually pumped up on adrenaline, he got a door open. the resulting force blew him out of the airplane and he fell 18' do his death.

Another story. Muslims do the Hajj thing.

An L-1011 carrying a full load to the Hajj had a full flight of pax that don't do air travel.

A few of them brought sterno type things and started cooking in the cabin. A fire ensued.

The airplane landed still pressurized and folks were unable to open the doors.

Nobody figure it out and everyone died in the fire.

30 minutes ago, sherpa said:

No you can't.

It would take over 2000 pounds of strength to open one.

That's good to know. I was wondering why there wasn't some kind of safety lock-out mechanism to prevent unauthorized access. Apparently there's no need.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.