Seahawks game on NFL network Jacob Hollister

I remember watching a certain Bills vs Patriots game where Knox made an absolutely ridiculous catch with Patrick Chung draped all over him. It was a remarkable catch for any reciever, let alone a TE.. then I flash back to so many "easy" passes literally bouncing off his hands. 

I dont know what to make of it all. 

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

honestly after reading the thread it actually does sound like some posters are enamored with hollister. To me, he seems like another replacement level TE of which we already have one. 

Imo, it may be a misinterpretation of the desire for a #1 TE who has a higher catch percentage than the mid fifties over the past two seasons. Even with his splash plays, Knox’s over all play is lacking and it shows in his number of targets, Hollister while  not spectacular has shown to be a more consistent target when his number is called, he appears to be a better/smoother route runner than Knox, I’ve been thinking Knox lacks full confidence in his point of catch ability, there in lies his problem, I suspect  Beane and McDermott already know who has the edge in this competition, butt try that’s just me I guess. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

21 hours ago, Rubes said:

Then again, practically every TE in the league who played against us looked like an all-star. It was one of the biggest weaknesses of this defense last year.

And we did nothing to address it either which is concerning

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

And we did nothing to address it either which is concerning

A bit of an over statement imo, by this  you are saying that neither Beane or McDermott realizes this issue and have made no measure in scheming or personnel training to correct it, I just don’t see that as a reality, but that could just be me. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

A bit of an over statement imo, by this  you are saying that neither Beane or McDermott realizes this issue and have made no measure in scheming or personnel training to correct it, I just don’t see that as a reality, but that could just be me. 

We won't know if they have made a schematic change or not but you cannot deny we didn't add a roster player to help out that weak spot. 

On 7/14/2021 at 9:34 AM, MJS said:

You'd start him over Knox? Knox has almost matched Hollister's career stats in 2 seasons, whereas Hollister has been in the league for 4 seasons.

I just think Hollister seems like a depth signing. But hey, we'll see.

Hollister had a pretty good 2019 season. But I think the last play of the week 17 matchup against the 49ers for the NFC West title had a negative impact on his 2020 season. 

It was 4th and goal, and Wilson hit him on the 1. Instead of plowing through for the TD, he kind of turtled to absorb the hit. And Fred Warner made the game saving tackle, propelling them to #1 seed and eventual Super Bowl birth.

https://youtu.be/5_nXPsKonUE

Hollister had 41 catches that year, his first in Seattle. They didn't seem to trust him as much the following year.

I like Knox's speed and athleticism. I think the mental side of the game needs to slow down for him. He kind of spaz's out from time to time. But I think that aspect of his game can improve with maturity and unlock his potential.

I think there are certain teams, like KC, that we match up with better in 2 TE sets. 

So I think Hollister can be a solid #2 receiving TE, and hope that Knox grows into his potential. 

Edited by Motorin'

On 7/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Saint, I don’t disagree, but he was relegated to the third TE in Seattle.  He has a chance as Don points out for the 1st position with us given how weak that position group is on our team.

Considering Holloster has a 67% completion vs. 55% for Knox, and was a teammate of Allen at Wyoming, I think very probable he has a chance.  Should be a fun camp.  Let the best sticky hands man win.  I don’t care

which is #1 as long as they prove it on the field.

Plus he'll be practicing against the same defense he caught 20% of his receptions last season. I think he'll look pretty good in camp with his old teammate throwing em balls 👀

1 hour ago, DJB said:

We won't know if they have made a schematic change or not but you cannot deny we didn't add a roster player to help out that weak spot. 

True enough, but we should rightfully assume that the HC and GM are fully aware of this issue,  and have implemented what they believe will address it, much like the run game issues, to think otherwise is to believe McDermott and Beane are willfully ignorant, and I for one can’t buy that.

They know the teams flaws better than any of us do, and have a far fuller understanding of how to address those flaws without creating a hole/flaw elsewhere on the roster. I’m not worried about it in the slightest to be honest,  Our boys got this. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, NoSaint said:

Counterpoint - it was 5 of his season total 25 catches.

I think what that shows is that the Bills were doing a good job of taking away Wilson's preferred targets in that game.

Hollister lost significant playing time to Olsen last season, and was the Seasnakes #3 TE option (after Olsen and Dissly).

He still had 25 targets for 209 yds, which is one more reception on 4 fewer targets than Dawson Knox had as our starting TE

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Hollister had 41 catches that year, his first in Seattle. They didn't seem to trust him as much the following year.

I don't think "trust" has that much to do with it. 

The Seahawks had the opportunity to sign Greg Olsen, who (when healthy) is undoubtedly a better player.  When you win a competition with other teams to sign a vet, 3x Probowl player, you probably made some commitment to him about playing time and as long as he's playing well you need to keep it.

So Olsen got the starts, and Hollister got the ST snaps until Olsen went on IR after week 10.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, MJS said:

Personally, I think people are crazy to think that Hollister is going to be a major contributor. He is your average, run of the mill TE that you can find on any team.

I dunno if Hollister is gonna be a major contributor or not.  We seem to run a receiver-centric offense.

But if Hollister is the "average run of the mill TE that you can find on any team", isn't it kind of interesting that he's stuck on the 53-man roster for two playoff teams with 11 or more wins and top-10 offenses (NE '17-'18 and SEA '19-'20)?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I would not be surprised if he supplanted Knox as the starter at some point. 

Knox has the Jadaveon (sp?) Clowney syndrome. One absolutely ridiculous beast mode play and has never lived up to to it since. If you can’t produce in this offense then there is something wrong. Then again, he could make that 3rd year leap so I’m not completely unsold on him. To me, #1 Tight End is the battle to watch. So many different scenarios can play out especially if Ertz is signed. We shall see… 👀

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think "trust" has that much to do with it. 

The Seahawks had the opportunity to sign Greg Olsen, who (when healthy) is undoubtedly a better player.  When you win a competition with other teams to sign a vet, 3x Probowl player, you probably made some commitment to him about playing time and as long as he's playing well you need to keep it.

So Olsen got the starts, and Hollister got the ST snaps until Olsen went on IR after week 10.

I wonder if Hollister had scored that TD to win the AFC West on the last play of the season if the Hawks would felt the need to bring Olsen in?

12 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I wonder if Hollister had scored that TD to win the AFC West on the last play of the season if the Hawks would felt the need to bring Olsen in?

I think yes?  Beane has talked about how pro football evaluators work to not vilify or glorify a guy over one game.

Even in a down year with Kyle Allen throwing to him, Greg Olson was averaging 11 more ypg on a similar number of receptions/game.  He is by far a savvier and more polished route runner and all-around TE.

I imagine a year in the TE room with Olsen helped Dissly and Hollister develop, which is exactly what McDermott and Beane likely hoped for from Knox, Kroft, and etc in trying to bring Olsen here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno if Hollister is gonna be a major contributor or not.  We seem to run a receiver-centric offense.

But if Hollister is the "average run of the mill TE that you can find on any team", isn't it kind of interesting that he's stuck on the 53-man roster for two playoff teams with 11 or more wins and top-10 offenses (NE '17-'18 and SEA '19-'20)?

I don't think it is interesting, actually. He is a depth TE.

Average TE's are good to have on your team. Better than bad TE's.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Are you describing Knox? who is not as good a pass catchers as Hollister? or are you saying Hollister is just that notch better a TE??? Inquiring minds want to know, 😁 

Words are fun… 😂

Go Bills!!!

On 7/14/2021 at 9:34 AM, MJS said:

You'd start him over Knox? Knox has almost matched Hollister's career stats in 2 seasons, whereas Hollister has been in the league for 4 seasons.

I just think Hollister seems like a depth signing. But hey, we'll see.

I think that Knox will receive every opportunity to lay claim to the starting TE job. 

But I think they have specific development they want to see from Knox, and if they don't see it, Hollister has shown he can play in the league the last 2 years with the Seahawks and has a track record of rappore with Josh.  If they wanted JAG or someone to pad the tail of the roster during training camp, why go there?

Citing Hollister "has been in the league 4 years" as a reason to diss his career stats is kinda silly IMO.  He spent his first 2 years in NE, on a team that went to the SB 2x.  They had this guy named "Gronkowski" playing TE there taking almost 100% of the snaps when he was active.   I don't think it means you're a bum if you don't bump him down from the lineup.  They also had a veteran blocking TE.  Hollister played teams while he tried to master their playbook.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The point is, if he's an "average run of the mill TE you can find on any team", how did he "stick" on a roster that was superbowl-bound and 1 injury away from counting on him for "next man up" or play on a Seahawks team that was in contention?