Seahawks game on NFL network Jacob Hollister

Then again, practically every TE in the league who played against us looked like an all-star. It was one of the biggest weaknesses of this defense last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Then again, practically every TE in the league who played against us looked like an all-star. It was one of the biggest weaknesses of this defense last year.

True enough, but a large contingent of our starting and back up D personnel were out for periods or playing injured throughout a large portion of last season, so that may have had something to do with that lack luster performance. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

True enough, but a large contingent of our starting and back up D personnel were out for periods or playing injured throughout a large portion of last season, so that may have had something to do with that lack luster performance. 

Point taken, though the fact remains that many TEs looked great against us, yet it doesn't necessarily mean they're great TEs.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You'd start him over Knox? Knox has almost matched Hollister's career stats in 2 seasons, whereas Hollister has been in the league for 4 seasons.

I just think Hollister seems like a depth signing. But hey, we'll see.

I want an open competition and I want one of them to be heads and above the others, playing at a Top 10 level. I don’t think that will happen but….

I am not a Knox fan. He provides value as a blocker but I don’t believe he ever becomes a consistent weapon in our passing attack.

I don’t know Hollister so he’s the next man up and I can dream.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

Point taken, though the fact remains that many TEs looked great against us, yet it doesn't necessarily mean they're great TEs.

Also true, but I don’t think anyone has labeled Hollister as great, just a better pass catching TE than Knox is at present, as I said up thread Hollister has a 12 point higher catch percentage that Knox does, and that is a notable improvement in performance over our current #1 guy at the position. Maybe Knox will up his game, but we shouldn’t be turning our nose up at a player who is factually better at catching passes by a notable degree, just sayin 👍

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Maybe Knox will up his game, but we shouldn’t be turning our nose up at a player who is factually better at catching passes by a notable degree, just sayin

Yep, Hollister last year had a 5.0% drop rate, only 1.7% in 2019. Also 0 fumbles both years.

Knox had a 9.1% drop rate last year, and 20.0% in 2019. He also had 2 fumbles last year.

So if Hollister is just a "run of the mill" athletic TE, that is definitely an upgrade. Ideally Knox will just take a step but I'm not banking on it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

I dunno dude - there is that past history betwixt Hollister and JA....surely that has to account for something???  Would I start him over Know?  I would have to be the coach to make that call.....I kinda trust their judgement a weeeee bit more that myself and other TBD posters.

I don't really think it accounts for much, personally. It comes down to his ability to get open and make plays.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yet, with a 12 point better catch percentage than our number 1 guy, yes Hollister is not a super star, but he does appear to be dependable, from his college years to present, and as stated, that is an improvement over Knox at this time, should this hold true, I for one will take that improvement. At any rate it’s another TC competition to keep an eye on. 

Go Bills!!!

Low sample size.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I see that as an upgrade on what we had last year. If Knox doesn't progress, Hollister is a better player.

Knox is already producing as much or more than Hollister has on other teams.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I want an open competition and I want one of them to be heads and above the others, playing at a Top 10 level. I don’t think that will happen but….

I am not a Knox fan. He provides value as a blocker but I don’t believe he ever becomes a consistent weapon in our passing attack.

I don’t know Hollister so he’s the next man up and I can dream.

And that's exactly what this is for Bills fans. That's why they are enamored. He is the unknown player. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Personally, I like Knox's upside potential. Both players are already producing equivalent stats, so I would devote more attention to the younger, more physically gifted player in Knox, personally.

But who knows? Maybe everyone's dream of Hollister being the next big thing will be realized. There is always a chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

TBH I thought he made a few very nice catches when the Bills played Seattle this year.  One reason I’m kind of guarded about him is that he was signed pretty late in FA.  Usually there’s a reason players for players not getting signed earlier 

Can I honestly ask what you mean by pretty late in FA?  Just curious. 

Hollister was signed March 19th.  Free Agency started March 17th.

NE signed Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry on March 19th also - should they be guarded about those 2 TEs also?

I am guarded because he has typically been a number 3-4 TE on other teams and is very average, but he has also shown some nice things and has played both in line and as an H-Back for blocking - so he seems to be a good fit.

I expect him to be a step up in what he can do, but he is not an elite TE.  He can make plays and block and do everything the Bills have asked of other TEs - just don’t expect Kelce or other elite numbers.

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep, Hollister last year had a 5.0% drop rate, only 1.7% in 2019. Also 0 fumbles both years.

Knox had a 9.1% drop rate last year, and 20.0% in 2019. He also had 2 fumbles last year.

So if Hollister is just a "run of the mill" athletic TE, that is definitely an upgrade. Ideally Knox will just take a step but I'm not banking on it.

It’s hard to know for certain in Knox,  I hope he can step up his game, but like you said…

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't really think it accounts for much, personally. It comes down to his ability to get open and make plays.

Low sample size.

Knox is already producing as much or more than Hollister has on other teams.

And that's exactly what this is for Bills fans. That's why they are enamored. He is the unknown player. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Personally, I like Knox's upside potential. Both players are already producing equivalent stats, so I would devote more attention to the younger, more physically gifted player in Knox, personally.

But who knows? Maybe everyone's dream of Hollister being the next big thing will be realized. There is always a chance.

No one is “enamored” with Hollister, no one is calling him “great”, he is though a better pass catching TE than Knox is at this time, nothing more, Frankly I don’t care who wins first chair in the TE room, as long as that person ends this upcoming season with a substantially better catch percentage than Knox does at this present, 😁👍 I think we all want that 😁

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No one is “enamored” with Hollister, no one is calling him “great”, he is though a better pass catching TE than Knox is at this time, nothing more, Frankly I don’t care who wins first chair in the TE room, as long as that person ends this upcoming season with a substantially better catch percentage than Knox does at this present, 😁👍 I think we all want that 😁

Go Bills!!!

And I don't think that's a given, personally. Yeah, if you want to split hairs with certain metrics, but they have been very similar the past couple of years in actual production.

I don't think Knox is a great TE, I just don't think Hollister is an upgrade.

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

And I don't think that's a given, personally. Yeah, if you want to split hairs with certain metrics, but they have been very similar the past couple of years in actual production.

I don't think Knox is a great TE, I just don't think Hollister is an upgrade.

I hear ya, I think Hollister would be an upgrade in the pass catching part of the comparison, I have heard no info if he can block worth a damn, iirc Josh said something a short while back about how Hollister has really strong hands, outside of that I’ve got not much else, I just want to see improvement in the basics in our #1 TE, outside of a few plays I’m not so impressed with Knox, although I would very much like to see him improve, but who doesn’t?

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

Obviously not the case in KC but May sometimes be by design. What was our record in games Scott chandler got like 8+ catches?

hollister May have had some catches to keep them in the game but Lockett didn’t have catches to win the game. I’ll let the other team feed a backup TE all day, generally. 

just have to figure out that kc situation still 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Personally, I think people are crazy to think that Hollister is going to be a major contributor. He is your average, run of the mill TE that you can find on any team.

Slightly disagree. He appears to be below average blocking and slightly above average receiving. That, to me, is not average, it's particular. 

So far, the Bills haven't given major opportunities to that kind of particular guy.

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Personally, I think people are crazy to think Josh Allen is going to be quality NFL starter.  He is your typical big arm, inaccurate QB from a small school.  (sarc)

Allen was anything but typical. There were certainly questions about whether he would succeed, but not because he was average.

55 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Slightly disagree. He appears to be below average blocking and slightly above average receiving. That, to me, is not average, it's particular. 

So far, the Bills haven't given major opportunities to that kind of particular guy.

He isn't above average in receiving production. Anything else is just guesswork.

12 hours ago, Rubes said:

I remember Doyle from the Colts went off on us and barely had 23 receptions all year. Mike Gesicki from the Dolphins always turns into a HoF caliber player against the Bills. Don’t even get me started on Travis Kelci. They need to figure out how to stop that position!

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I watched the Bills Seahawks game on NFL network last night as I hadn't seen it before.  I was amazed how many passes Hollister caught in that game to keep the Seahawks in the game.  Didn't know much about him before we signed him, but I can see why the Bills were impressed.  Anxious to see how he does for us.

Yeah I said this on day 1.

I think they were extremely impressed with him after watching the tape following that game.

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

honestly after reading the thread it actually does sound like some posters are enamored with hollister. To me, he seems like another replacement level TE of which we already have one. 

• Eyeroll 1