McDermott 8th longest tenured head coach in the NFL .. horrible job security

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

With the exception of #4 John Harbaugh, 4 of the top 5 all had future HOF QBs.  The biggest key to longevity as an NFL coach is to have a great QB & don't ever get him so mad at you he wants you to leave or he wants to leave himself (See Rodgers/McCarthy; Rodgers with team management...OK, just see PO'd Rodgers every few years)  

As long as McDermott rides along with Josh Allen he'll keep movin' on up.  

It's why Harbaugh is chronically underrated. In a division which is never easy - Pittsburgh's last losing season came before twitter was a thing - and with two Quarterbacks who have their strengths but nobody is confusing with being elite he has had 1 losing season (and they were completely injury ravaged that year) he has made the playoffs 9 times in 13 years, is 11-8 in the post season and has a ring. It is remarkable. 

The one thing you would say is he has been supported by good ownership and a top 5 front office, but even allowing for that his record speaks for itself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

McD will be climbing the list after 2021.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939461-gauging-how-hot-every-nfl-coachs-seat-is-heading-into-the-2021-draft

Zimmer is on the hot seat. And Tomlin / Steeler are also kinda on the hot seat. While the Steelers dont usually fire head coaches, that team has underperformed for a while with no improvement in sight. Without Big Ben, Tomlin may also decide to leave for greener pastures. Oh, and Carroll may also be gone if Wilson and he are not on the same page a few games into the season.

I kinda disagree re:Tomlin. I am not a big fan of his but he hasn't really had a healthy and young Roethlisberger at his disposal the past few years. The Steelers should have drafted his replacement (1st round) two years back. But given where they are, draft one next year, hit the reset button and give Tomlin 1+2 years more. 

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I often wonder if this proves how fickle the NFL is, or are NFL teams doing a bad job of hiring coaches ? I think it’s a mixture, but the NFL is full of stale ideas. The league recycles the same old coaches, while taking years to incorporate ideas that are proven effective, but aren’t old school enough. Belichick is the best example of a guy who exploited the absence of progressive NFL coaching. 

Who's doing all that "progressive coaching"?

BB beat Martz, Andy Reid and The Youngest HC In The NFL in SB's.

Those aren't exactly Paul Brown, and company...

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who's doing all that "progressive coaching"?

BB beat Martz, Andy Reid and The Youngest HC In The NFL in SB's.

Those aren't exactly Paul Brown, and company...

No one. I said that BB exposed the “absence of progressive coaching”. Meaning he became an all time great partially due to a lack of creative coaching around the league. BB took chances other coaches wouldn’t. Game plans that sometimes involved throwing every down, and going for fourth down in situations where the odds were in his favor. Most NFL coaches don’t accept data that supports more risk taking at the proper time. Coaching is coming around to new ideas, but my point was in reference to head coaching turnover. This is a fickle league, but coaches don’t do themselves any favors. You’ve got guys like Doug Marrone punting on fourth and one with mediocre rosters that need to take chances to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

No one. I said that BB exposed the “absence of progressive coaching”. Meaning he became an all time great partially due to a lack of creative coaching around the league. BB took chances other coaches wouldn’t. Game plans that sometimes involved throwing every down, and going for fourth down in situations where the odds were in his favor. Most NFL coaches don’t accept data that supports more risk taking at the proper time. Coaching is coming around to new ideas, but my point was in reference to head coaching turnover. This is a fickle league, but coaches don’t do themselves any favors. You’ve got guys like Doug Marrone punting on fourth and one with mediocre rosters that need to take chances to win. 

Martz, Reid and McCoy are/were considered pretty progressive HCs.  

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t agree with Tomlin being on a hot seat. They challenged the best ever win season total last year. Personally, I don’t care for the guy, but this is Pittsburgh. They keep HCs til they’re pushing up daisies

Yeah they’ve had what?  three head coaches total in franchise history or something?

11 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

It is very nice to have a stable and consistent coach in McDermott. It’s crazy though how unstable a coach’s job is.

What’s good, gents? What’s good? 

BillsFan619, you are spot on per usual, my good fellow! Over half the league has a coach who has been there 2 years or less. Astounding churn rate!

13 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

McD will be climbing the list after 2021.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939461-gauging-how-hot-every-nfl-coachs-seat-is-heading-into-the-2021-draft

Zimmer is on the hot seat. And Tomlin / Steeler are also kinda on the hot seat. While the Steelers dont usually fire head coaches, that team has underperformed for a while with no improvement in sight. Without Big Ben, Tomlin may also decide to leave for greener pastures. Oh, and Carroll may also be gone if Wilson and he are not on the same page a few games into the season.

Quick, name the last Steelers HC to get fired. It just doesn't happen. The Rooneys pick the right guy for their organization, then they give him a few decades to settle into the job. I will grant you that it is surprising that they don't really have a good back-up plan if Ben falls off a cliff. Rudolph or Haskins is no way to live. But I'm guessing that Tomlin won't get the blame, if that happens. GM Kevin Colbert probably would. Or the Rooneys might just chalk it up to bad juju, and move on.

The Pegulas picked keepers as GM and HC, so hopefully they're trying to bring that kind of stability to this team, as well.

Not to be glib, but this article is like “water is wet”.  Of course head coaching jobs are transient.  BB is a rarity.

Im very hopeful McD will be in terms of longevity another Tomlin.  He and Beane have built up such a solid franchise and I don’t see that changing.  I understand the comments on Zimmer and he is most at risk meaning the only one above McD in terms of tenure.  Given he has brought   MN to the playoffs in 2015, 17, and 19, you’d think he gets a pass of he brings them back to the wildcard this year.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They disappointed last year, no doubt. But his two worst years (his first and last year) were 7 win seasons and he has taken them to a Championship game. All this while his QBs have been Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford and Cousins. 

I like McDermott more than Zim too. There are fewer than 5 head coaches I'd take above McDermott but Zimmer is a good football coach. I'd take him over a lot of the latest hot shot OC in a headset type hires. He is on the hotseat going into this year and I am not sure he would get a second go around but he has been a solid hire for Minnesota. 

Last year was an anomaly for Zimmer regarding the Viking defense.  If he gets that defense back to middle of the pack and the offense performs similarly, they’re right in the conversation in that division.  I expect Zim to survive.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Last year was an anomaly for Zimmer regarding the Viking defense.  If he gets that defense back to middle of the pack and the offense performs similarly, they’re right in the conversation in that division.  I expect Zim to survive.

While I agree, and I think Zim can coach defense, I do think one of the reasons the D dropped of is talent. They have lost a lot of guys on that side over the past two years, from Everson Griffin, to Linval Joseph, to Anthony Harris to Xavier Rhodes (whose play dropped off and then he moved on) and who knows what the crack is with Danielle Hunter. In the likes of Dalvin Tomlinson and Sheldon Richardson and Patrick Peterson they have tried to patch some holes with vets this offseason which does rather reinforce the view that there is a sense of urgency in the building that they can't just wait for the younger guys they have drafted the past two years in Gladney and Dantzler and Jones and Surratt to hit. The Vikings playoff chances are a little dependant on what happens in the end in Green Bay. If Rodgers plays the Packers should win the division. If Rodgers doesn't play then the Vikings should. 

Edited by GunnerBill

To me this list, shows just how bad at HC / GM hiring evaluations owners actually are, as is known, if you get these two hires wrong you’re screwed, it’s as if owners repeatedly hire guys that have no actual plan or have little capacity to implement one. (Gase & Caldwell for instance) You would think by now the formula for team building would be well established, but I guess not…, the NFL is after all a private club for rich guys to play at, as long as the coin rolls in they don’t care so much…

7 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

i think he took a year off and his years worked in a row started over 

Arizona - year off - Tampa 

Yeah. He's been back in the league for only a year and somehow is the 15th highest tenured coach. That's crazy to me.

When you factor in the drought…

Bills Fan level of expectation/desperation for just “positive” Football…

I just might bet McDermott will be the longest tenured coach in league eventually.

and that woudl happen even without a Super Bowl win or even an appearance.

psyche of this base was so beaten over 20 years…just competent competitiveness will be enough to secure a VERY long career in Buffalo for McDermott.

20 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

This is a great point. I feel the exact same. The Patriots success largely stems from their absolute consistency. Well, and Brady lol

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

What’s good, gents? What’s good? 

BillsFan619, you are spot on per usual, my good fellow! Over half the league has a coach who has been there 2 years or less. Astounding churn rate!

Wow! Over HALF the league. That’s crazy!! I didn’t think it was that bad.

Me thinks that the ability to produce so quickly is unrealistic.

Unlike most coaches in other sports, the head coach in the NFL can get fired through no fault of his own due to two outside factors. 

1 - Owner changes GMs and wants to bring their own guy 

2 - QB sucks, GM drafts crap ones, even if he coaches everyone else right.  Honestly, how many of our coaches since Wade would have lasted longer if they had Josh?

• Like (+1) 1