McDermott 8th longest tenured head coach in the NFL .. horrible job security

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/the-longest-tenured-head-coaches-in-the-nfl

No coach hired after January 15, 2014 till McDermott was hired in January 2017 is still employed. I would not be surprised if he were at number 7 next year as Zimmer needs to produce.

It is nice to not have turmoil in the front office and it lends itself to a sustained run.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think a lot of head coaches are unfairly fired after one down year. Jim Caldwell got the Lions to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance only to be fired and replaced with Matt Patricia, who went on to lead them to a 13-29-1 record.

Continuity is more important in football than any other sport because of its complexity. Learning entirely new schemes every single offseason will not lead to sustained success.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 6

Zim has had a good run in Minnesota they have given him a fair crack and he has done a good job. He should have got a HC job a lot sooner than he did but teams overlooked him because he isn't an exciting personality or a flashy name or an offensive guru. If he doesn't at least make the playoffs this year it probably is time for a change but if he does I think he will survive. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/the-longest-tenured-head-coaches-in-the-nfl

No coach hired after January 15, 2014 till McDermott was hired in January 2017 is still employed. I would not be surprised if he were at number 7 next year as Zimmer needs to produce.

It is nice to not have turmoil in the front office and it lends itself to a sustained run.

It is very nice to have a stable and consistent coach in McDermott. It’s crazy though how unstable a coach’s job is.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Zim has had a good run in Minnesota they have given him a fair crack and he has done a good job. He should have got a HC job a lot sooner than he did but teams overlooked him because he isn't an exciting personality or a flashy name or an offensive guru. If he doesn't at least make the playoffs this year it probably is time for a change but if he does I think he will survive. 

Meh.  He has been decent at best.  That defensive effort last year on Thanksgiving or Christmas against the Saints was about as bad of a defensive performance I saw last year.  Right up there w the Lions against Tampa late in the season.  Doesn't seem like much of a motivator.  (Seemed a lot more passionate years ago as DC with the Cowboys)  With Kirk Cousins as your starter you really don't know what you are going to get from week to week.  Same with the Vikings, and many teams for that matter.  I like McDermott a whole lot better then Zim.  

For what its worth the best Zimmer was good old Popeye.  Loved that guy chugging out of the dugout looking like he would explode out of his uniform.  And he tried to fight Pedro back in 2003 at Fenway.  How awesome was that!!

I would venture that maybe someone else other than Zimmer might be out after this season too.  Not going to pull a Nostradamus and try to say who but #2 or #3 might be the guy who might leave.

#'s 8 and 9 are gonna be around for a long time IMHO......kinda forgot they got hired within a day of each other.....Shanny might be out soon.....interesting list of ALLLLLLLLL those coaches hired in 2019, 20 and 21!!!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

McD will be climbing the list after 2021.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939461-gauging-how-hot-every-nfl-coachs-seat-is-heading-into-the-2021-draft

Zimmer is on the hot seat. And Tomlin / Steeler are also kinda on the hot seat. While the Steelers dont usually fire head coaches, that team has underperformed for a while with no improvement in sight. Without Big Ben, Tomlin may also decide to leave for greener pastures. Oh, and Carroll may also be gone if Wilson and he are not on the same page a few games into the season.

I often wonder if this proves how fickle the NFL is, or are NFL teams doing a bad job of hiring coaches ? I think it’s a mixture, but the NFL is full of stale ideas. The league recycles the same old coaches, while taking years to incorporate ideas that are proven effective, but aren’t old school enough. Belichick is the best example of a guy who exploited the absence of progressive NFL coaching. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I would venture that maybe someone else other than Zimmer might be out after this season too.  Note going to pull a Nostradamus and try to say who but #2 or #3 might be the guy who might leave.

#'s 8 and 9 are gonna be around for a long time IMHO......kinda forgot they got hired within a day of each other.....Shanny might be out soon.....interesting list of ALLLLLLLLL those coaches hired in 2019, 20 and 21!!!

I did @Virgil -like work/effort, and looked up all the HC's in the league. Here are my guesses for firings. 

Matt Nagy

Zac Taylor (my #1 bet)

Mike McCarthy

Vic Fangio (how he has a job, I'm baffled about)

Zimmer if no playoffs

If things go horribly wrong: 

Mike Tomlin (like 3-13 bad and loses the team)

Jon Gruden

David Culley (but ONLY if they go 0-16)

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Meh.  He has been decent at best.  That defensive effort last year on Thanksgiving or Christmas against the Saints was about as bad of a defensive performance I saw last year.  Right up there w the Lions against Tampa late in the season.  Doesn't seem like much of a motivator.  (Seemed a lot more passionate years ago as DC with the Cowboys)  With Kirk Cousins as your starter you really don't know what you are going to get from week to week.  Same with the Vikings, and many teams for that matter.  I like McDermott a whole lot better then Zim.  

For what its worth the best Zimmer was good old Popeye.  Loved that guy chugging out of the dugout looking like he would explode out of his uniform.  And he tried to fight Pedro back in 2003 at Fenway.  How awesome was that!!

They disappointed last year, no doubt. But his two worst years (his first and last year) were 7 win seasons and he has taken them to a Championship game. All this while his QBs have been Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford and Cousins. 

I like McDermott more than Zim too. There are fewer than 5 head coaches I'd take above McDermott but Zimmer is a good football coach. I'd take him over a lot of the latest hot shot OC in a headset type hires. He is on the hotseat going into this year and I am not sure he would get a second go around but he has been a solid hire for Minnesota. 

Man, that's crazy. I feel like McDermott is just now coming into his own and producing a team that can consistently contend.

Just shows how hard it is to build a winning team. It takes so many things. Players, development, scouting, drafting, paying for the right free agents, finding a quality QB, having effective schemes, staying innovative and unpredictable, culture, fundamentals, contracts, motivating the team, and the list go on.

It's just a dang hard job to get it all right and find people to help you get everything right.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I did @Virgil -like work/effort, and looked up all the HC's in the league. Here are my guesses for firings. 

Matt Nagy

Zac Taylor (my #1 bet)

Mike McCarthy

Vic Fangio (how he has a job, I'm baffled about)

Zimmer if no playoffs

If things go horribly wrong: 

Mike Tomlin (like 3-13 bad and loses the team)

Jon Gruden

David Culley (but ONLY if they go 0-16)

How dare you accuse me of researching things before I post!?  I take pride in my crap memory and horribly wrong statistically and historical analysis.

Take it back!

• Haha (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They disappointed last year, no doubt. But his two worst years (his first and last year) were 7 win seasons and he has taken them to a Championship game. All this while his QBs have been Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford and Cousins. 

I like McDermott more than Zim too. There are fewer than 5 head coaches I'd take above McDermott but Zimmer is a good football coach. I'd take him over a lot of the latest hot shot OC in a headset type hires. He is on the hotseat going into this year and I am not sure he would get a second go around but he has been a solid hire for Minnesota. 

Got thinking about this point, the chemistry and fit of all the parts is very important

Since it’s all coming together so nicely I’m not sure I’d take anyone else over McDermott this team at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

With the exception of #4 John Harbaugh, 4 of the top 5 all had future HOF QBs.  The biggest key to longevity as an NFL coach is to have a great QB & don't ever get him so mad at you he wants you to leave or he wants to leave himself (See Rodgers/McCarthy; Rodgers with team management...OK, just see PO'd Rodgers every few years)  

As long as McDermott rides along with Josh Allen he'll keep movin' on up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

Absolutely crazy that Bruce Arians is the 15th longest tenured head coach in the league. Holy cow.

Just goes to show what having the GOAT @ QB and a excellent D can do for you......scary part is they bring just about everyone back from last season!!!

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

McD will be climbing the list after 2021.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939461-gauging-how-hot-every-nfl-coachs-seat-is-heading-into-the-2021-draft

Zimmer is on the hot seat. And Tomlin / Steeler are also kinda on the hot seat. While the Steelers dont usually fire head coaches, that team has underperformed for a while with no improvement in sight. Without Big Ben, Tomlin may also decide to leave for greener pastures. Oh, and Carroll may also be gone if Wilson and he are not on the same page a few games into the season.

I don’t agree with Tomlin being on a hot seat. They challenged the best ever win season total last year. Personally, I don’t care for the guy, but this is Pittsburgh. They keep HCs til they’re pushing up daisies

Anyway, congrats to McD! May you retire here with multiple titles.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

I would venture that maybe someone else other than Zimmer might be out after this season too.  Not going to pull a Nostradamus and try to say who but #2 or #3 might be the guy who might leave.

Yeach could see a mutual agreement to part between either Payton or Tomlin as won't want to go through a rebuild and/or they discover it was just dumb luck that they had franchise QB's all these years and not their brilliant coaching and getting the next next one is alot more work than they realize.

Agree too on Shanny and lets not forget Gruden, think he may walk away.  And I'll give Meyers two seasons before he leaves again for health reasons.

Even in NE, how long before Kraft figures out it's hard to recruit FA's to compete as they don't want to play for BB without the franchise QB there to get them to the Super Bowl every couple of years.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Kinda shows why teams struggle so much. A 4 year HC is 8th on the list.  Talk about a job with ZERO stability unless your part of the elite 6.