Team USA basketball loses 2nd game in a row

Brennan Huff

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Lol Olympics are dead in America.

Olympics thread has 11 replies and half are "Didn't know this was happening" 

It's not about representing your country and hasn't been for years. It's run like garbage and destroys wherever it is held.

You seem to be really bitter about this. How did the Olympics hurt you? Do you want to talk about it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You seem to be really bitter about this. How did the Olympics hurt you? Do you want to talk about it?

Sorry didn't know when people quoted me I wasn't allowed from respond. 

You seem really angry that I don't share the same views of the Olympics as you. Do you want to talk about it?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Team USA is super soft. They don't bang inside,  and they are looking for calls the NBA refs will give but the Olympic refs don't care. 

It has no enforcers in the mold of an Oakley, Mahorn or Mason. You need those guys when you're playing these Euroball teams. 

US Basketball won't medal this year. That sucks because Im a Spurs fan and all the blame will fall on Pop. 

12 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Team USA is super soft. They don't bang inside,  and they are looking for calls the NBA refs will give but the Olympic refs don't care. 

It has no enforcers in the mold of an Oakley, Mahorn or Mason. You need those guys when you're playing these Euroball teams. 

US Basketball won't medal this year. That sucks because Im a Spurs fan and all the blame will fall on Pop. 

Its a different age. The rest of the world have caught up to the US and people aren’t intimidated by them anymore. I would not be surprised if they didn’t medal either

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Its a different age. The rest of the world have caught up to the US and people aren’t intimidated by them anymore. I would not be surprised if they didn’t medal either

They still have by far the most talent.. but they don't play the team game of basketball  

Which is why all these squads who actually have good chemistry can beat them.. team USA plays like the NBA.. one on one ISO

And that definitely doesn't work at a world stage against teams that have a playbook and execute

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Sorry didn't know when people quoted me I wasn't allowed from respond. 

You seem really angry that I don't share the same views of the Olympics as you. Do you want to talk about it?

I get it, you don’t think the Olympics are what they used to be. I’m sure that’s true to some degree. We now have 24/7 sports on a billion channels. There is so much to chose from everything is diluted at least a little bit. 

What drew fire was your contention that literally nobody is interested or watching. That is just not true. My wife LOVES the gymnastics. My son and his wife arrived tonight and the DIL knew the backstories on people I had never heard of. 

You don’t share the same views as other people, but that doesn’t make your view the only correct view. You do not have the power to declare what is true. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I get it, you don’t think the Olympics are what they used to be. I’m sure that’s true to some degree. We now have 24/7 sports on a billion channels. There is so much to chose from everything is diluted at least a little bit. 

What drew fire was your contention that literally nobody is interested or watching. That is just not true. My wife LOVES the gymnastics. My son and his wife arrived tonight and the DIL knew the backstories on people I had never heard of. 

You don’t share the same views as other people, but that doesn’t make your view the only correct view. You do not have the power to declare what is true. 

Never said I do so maybe get off your high horse.

The things I did say were true though so not like I was making it up. That is the good thing about being able to see how many people are actually watching.

Edited by TBBills

15 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Its time that we invent some new sports that only we play so we can be world champs again and have Dream Teams.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Never said I do so maybe get off your high horse.

The things I did say were true though so not like I was making it up. That is the good thing about being able to see how many people are actually watching.

You DID say I was “literally the only person watching”. That was not true. It would be hard to objectively prove that every Olympic city is destroyed.  Atlanta and Barcelona are thriving cities. Salt Lake? Not sure that place ever thrived, but I can’t necessarily blame the Olympics. 

Are the Olympics what they used to be? Probably not as I conceded above. That’s why they have ratings. We will know in time roughly how many people were watching and enjoying. We are on vacation right now so out and about quite a bit. Everywhere we go the Olympics are on and people are watching. A couple next to us at a restaurant/bar last night changed seats to get a better view of a different event. I’m not alone. 

I ignore most of the “is that really an Olympic sport?” events, but gymnastics and swimming we stop to watch. I’ll also watch the basketball, which isn’t quite as fun as it used to be.  I’m NOT saying it is what it was decades ago, but I think the sheer volume of daily 24/7 options has watered down a LOT of things.

An hour ago at lunch (with every TV in the placed tuned to Olympic events) I mentioned to my wife how I used to go to Chili’s on Tuesdays because they had the USA Today and the Sports section would have a couple sentences about each NFL team. We were starved for info! Now? It’s at your fingertips at a moments notice. The world HAS changed, but many, many people are still watching and enjoying the Olympics.

I’m not on my “high horse”, but I think you took offense (none was meant) that I didn’t just agree that the Olympics are dead and should go away. I will not just concede that as fact. We don’t see eye to eye, and that’s fine.

And now, I’m done with this little back and forth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

You DID say I was “literally the only person watching”. That was not true. It would be hard to objectively prove that every Olympic city is destroyed.  Atlanta and Barcelona are thriving cities. Salt Lake? Not sure that place ever thrived, but I can’t necessarily blame the Olympics. 

Are the Olympics what they used to be? Probably not as I conceded above. That’s why they have ratings. We will know in time roughly how many people were watching and enjoying. We are on vacation right now so out and about quite a bit. Everywhere we go the Olympics are on and people are watching. A couple next to us at a restaurant/bar last night changed seats to get a better view of a different event. I’m not alone. 

I ignore most of the “is that really an Olympic sport?” events, but gymnastics and swimming we stop to watch. I’ll also watch the basketball, which isn’t quite as fun as it used to be.  I’m NOT saying it is what it was decades ago, but I think the sheer volume of daily 24/7 options has watered down a LOT of things.

An hour ago at lunch (with every TV in the placed tuned to Olympic events) I mentioned to my wife how I used to go to Chili’s on Tuesdays because they had the USA Today and the Sports section would have a couple sentences about each NFL team. We were starved for info! Now? It’s at your fingertips at a moments notice. The world HAS changed, but many, many people are still watching and enjoying the Olympics.

I’m not on my “high horse”, but I think you took offense (none was meant) that I didn’t just agree that the Olympics are dead and should go away. I will not just concede that as fact. We don’t see eye to eye, and that’s fine.

And now, I’m done with this little back and forth. 

Not as many as you think.... Glad you are finally done with this bull####.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Not as many as you think.... Glad you are finally done with this bull####.

I have zero hostility over such a trivial disagreement.

Have a nice evening. 

Edited by Augie
  • Dislike 1

I enjoy the Olympics, but can’t stand NBC’s coverage. I’ll never forget a couple years where someone with NBC said something along the lines of, “more women watch the games who aren’t necessarily sports fans, we need to create drama and storylines because they like the stories more than sport”. Not only is that a gross comment, but it’s exactly how NBC covers the Olympics, and it ruins it for sports fans imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I enjoy the Olympics, but can’t stand NBC’s coverage. I’ll never forget a couple years where someone with NBC said something along the lines of, “more women watch the games who aren’t necessarily sports fans, we need to create drama and storylines because they like the stories more than sport”. Not only is that a gross comment, but it’s exactly how NBC covers the Olympics, and it ruins it for sports fans imo. 

Agreed. There’s Olympic stuff on three channels me thinks and whenever they get into ESPN-like drama build up I flip to one of the other channels actually playing sports. Granted, it’s all NBC owned channels so they get the win regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, Buffalo716 said:

They still have by far the most talent.. but they don't play the team game of basketball  

Which is why all these squads who actually have good chemistry can beat them.. team USA plays like the NBA.. one on one ISO

And that definitely doesn't work at a world stage against teams that have a playbook and execute

A big reason I have no interest in the NBA. I've been watching the million-dollar TBT tournament because a group of UB alums (mostly the Nate Oats era Bulls) have a team in it this year. It's been so great to see them again. They made the round of from a field of 64, beating alums teams from Harvard & Ivys (NERD), Zip Em Up (Xavier), and tonight they mopped the floor with "Cat 5" (U Miami).  It's been an entertaining watch. What a terrific idea it is to have alumni teams from college programs. There's talk of having a TBT regional in Buffalo in 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

imo I don't think they are into like usual in the past. I don't know, just seems like a lot of the big time players and whatnot didn't want to go. Team only has KD really. It's like a team was just half ass threw together with mainly average players and they don't seem to really care much this time. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Way back in the late 1980's or 1990's, my brother and I were watching the winter games on one of the Canadian stations out of Kingston. (We lived close enough to just get the signal when conditions were right)  That night NBC was showing the event (I think it was downhill skiing) "live".  We started talking to each other about how we think this person will do, some previous races they were in, who the biggest competition is, the person that could be the surprise favorite, etc. Our parents are starting to stare at us, as everything we are talking about is coming true. We did end up telling them it really wasn't live, it had already been concluded hours earlier. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.