A Second String Bills Team

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Middling, mediocre and decent + no playmakers = a contender for the first overall draft pick

As for Mitch Trubisky.........look at the talent at WR and TE Miami has........or the OL and TE that New England has...........it would be very difficult for check-down Mitch to look like the best QB in the division with that supporting cast.

Sorry,  but you are out of focus on this take.

I'm pretty much agreeing with all the flame I'm receiving for this thread. I do think it's an interesting discussion, and I also think the Second String Team I posted above is better than many are giving credit for, but maybe not by much. 

All that being said-- you really can't accuse Trubisky of being check down-prone. He simply isn't.

18 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This probably isn't worth its own thread, but I've been discussing with friends who are fans of other teams how important depth is to a team, and how this will be especially important with the upcoming 17 game season. This Bills team is deeper than any one I can remember, and I suspect its depth stacks up to maybe any other team in the league. 

So, I thought it would be an interesting exercise during this slow offseason, to look at what a Bills team would look like, made up entirely of depth players. Some of you may take issue with some the players I've got as second string-- which is fine. I'm interested in the discussion. The competition for depth on this team is fierce. And also, several of these players are in the conversation for starting positions, and certainly, some of them will be starters come September. Anyone who has a different opinion of what the Bills second string would currently look like, I want to hear it. But-- prove me wrong-- such a Bills team would be in serious contention for the AFCE. Not favored, perhaps... but not the Jets, either.

OFFENSE:

QB: Mitch Trubisky

RT: Ryan Bates

RG: Forrest Lamp

C : Jon Feliciano

LG: Ike Boettger

LT: Spenser Brown

WR#1: Gabriel Davis

WR#2: Jake Kumerow or Duke Williams

WR#2: Isaiah McKenzie

TE: Jacob Hollister

RB: Singletary or Moss or Breida (It could be any one of them!)

DEFENSE:

DE: Efe Obada

DT: Harrison Phillips

DT: Justin Zimmer

DE: Greg Rousseau

LB: AJ Klein

LB: Tyrel Dodson

S: Jaquan Johnson

S: Damar Hamlin

CB: Dane Jackson

CB: Rachad Wildgoose

NCB: Siran Neal

Well geez when you put it that way

5 hours ago, eball said:

The depth on this roster is clearly the best it has been since the 90s.  And for those stating there are no known game-changers or superstars — well, duh.  If they were already superstars they wouldn’t be depth, they’d be starting.  The point is that there is a great mix of serviceable veterans and youth with potential.  If we had to trot that team out week after week they’d probably be competitive but not playoff caliber.  If we need to use a number of them in spot situations this year we’ll be in very good shape compared to most of the league.

Depth is great...until you have to use it.

21 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This probably isn't worth its own thread, but I've been discussing with friends who are fans of other teams how important depth is to a team, and how this will be especially important with the upcoming 17 game season. This Bills team is deeper than any one I can remember, and I suspect its depth stacks up to maybe any other team in the league. 

So, I thought it would be an interesting exercise during this slow offseason, to look at what a Bills team would look like, made up entirely of depth players. Some of you may take issue with some the players I've got as second string-- which is fine. I'm interested in the discussion. The competition for depth on this team is fierce. And also, several of these players are in the conversation for starting positions, and certainly, some of them will be starters come September. Anyone who has a different opinion of what the Bills second string would currently look like, I want to hear it. But-- prove me wrong-- such a Bills team would be in serious contention for the AFCE. Not favored, perhaps... but not the Jets, either.

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

The 2nd string offense is definitely better than the Bills' starters in the 2018 opener:

QB: Nathan Peterman

RT: Jordan Mills

RG: John Miller

😄 Ryan Groy

LG: Vlad Ducasse

LT:  Dion Dawkins

WR 1: Kelvin Benjamin

WR 2: Zay Jones

WR 3: Jeremy Kerley

TE: Charles Clay

RB: Shady McCoy

22 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

No one would be afraid of any of those WR or TE. They would make Allen Job very hard but if it was a year like say the 49ers had last year.. it would be a disaster.  (AFCE has solid D everywhere if not too 10)

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

No one would be afraid of any of those WR or TE. They would make Allen Job very hard but if it was a year like say the 49ers had last year.. it would be a disaster.  (AFCE has solid D everywhere if not too 10)

Gabriel Davis just had a 599 yard rookie season, as a #3-#4 wide receiver, with all of the obstacles that every other rookie had last season-- no OTAs, limited TC, no preseason. I would take him over any WR the Patriots* currently have. And, for that matter, Mitch Trubisky is currently the second best QB in the AFCE, and that is a hard point to argue.

33 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Gabriel Davis just had a 599 yard rookie season, as a #3-#4 wide receiver, with all of the obstacles that every other rookie had last season-- no OTAs, limited TC, no preseason. I would take him over any WR the Patriots* currently have. And, for that matter, Mitch Trubisky is currently the second best QB in the AFCE, and that is a hard point to argue.

Trubisky was a HUGE Bust! HUGE! Davis did that with 2 of the better WR in front of him especially Diggs and facing nickel corners.  I’d take Meyers over him but that’s it on the Pats roster.. after all he got 700 yards and 3 TDs in 12 games w Newton throwing the ball facing top CBS. that’s a lot more impressive than 599 with Allen and nickel corners. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Trubisky was a HUGE Bust! HUGE! Davis did that with 2 of the better WR in front of him especially Diggs and facing nickel corners.  I’d take Meyers over him but that’s it on the Pats roster.. after all he got 700 yards and 3 TDs in 12 games w Newton throwing the ball facing top CBS. that’s a lot more impressive than 599 with Allen and nickel corners. 

Nah I like Meyers  as we discussed the other day but I wouldn't take him over Gabe. Not even bias I loved Gabe as a prospect before he was a Bill. And he didn't face many nickel corners. He did take some snaps in the slot, the Bills moved him about but that was mainly Beasley's domain. Davis normally faced the #2 outside guy. Don't be at all surprised if ends up keeping Emmanuel Sanders off the field a lot and posting another very good year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah I like Meyers  as we discussed the other day but I wouldn't take him over Gabe. Not even bias I loved Gabe as a prospect before he was a Bill. And he didn't face many nickel corners. He did take some snaps in the slot, the Bills moved him about but that was mainly Beasley's domain. Davis normally faced the #2 outside guy. Don't be at all surprised if ends up keeping Emmanuel Sanders off the field a lot and posting another very good year. 

I will bow to your Bills knowledge.  I based mine off the fact Meyers did it with a very inaccurate QB in Cam … now Bills fans have to live with the rest of the NFL downgrading your WR not named Diggs because of how good Allen is. Lol I lived that truth for almost 20 years.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I will bow to your Bills knowledge.  I based mine off the fact Meyers did it with a very inaccurate QB in Cam … now Bills fans have to live with the rest of the NFL downgrading your WR not named Diggs because of how good Allen is. Lol I lived that truth for almost 20 years.

Indeed. Meyers is a good player. I have banged on about him on here a fair amount. But you now live our reality of good receivers who appear almost better than they are because they are managing to make it work with bad Quarterbacking and not much around them. I do think Meyers has talent though. 

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm pretty much agreeing with all the flame I'm receiving for this thread. I do think it's an interesting discussion, and I also think the Second String Team I posted above is better than many are giving credit for, but maybe not by much. 

All that being said-- you really can't accuse Trubisky of being check down-prone. He simply isn't.

That was one of the biggest complaints about him in Chicago.........he looks like a guy who could attack the whole field in practice but once the bullets start flying he starts checking it down.    His Tyrod-Taylor-2017-like career ypa of 6.7 does little to dispel that notion.    Not saying he couldn't get better in year 5 but I certainly wasn't putting any stock into how he looked in shorts in OTA's.    

19 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

There's a decent chance that Dane Jackson beats out Levi Wallace.  There's enough talent there one way or another to win a fair number of games on the Bills schedule, but not enough to take them to the playoffs.

I specifically watched him after he started making some noise earlier in the year. Later in the season and during playoffs, teams threw his way.

Maybe birth by fire, but his playoffs seemed very pedestrian to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dane, and think he is in the Bills top 5 Dark Horse Category, but the shimmer came off a bit in the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was one of the biggest complaints about him in Chicago.........he looks like a guy who could attack the whole field in practice but once the bullets start flying he starts checking it down.    His Tyrod-Taylor-2017-like career ypa of 6.7 does little to dispel that notion.    Not saying he couldn't get better in year 5 but I certainly wasn't putting any stock into how he looked in shorts in OTA's.    

I couldn't find the stats for 2020, but in the '18, and '19 seasons, he had the third lowest checkdown rate in the league, after Mahome (2nd), and Allen (1st).

Edited by Rocky Landing

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yeah, people love to say that.

BUT... just on 2020 stats alone:

Tua:       64.1 comp%, 11 TDs, 5 Ints, 87.1 QBR

Cam:     65.8 comp%, 8 TDs, 10 Ints, 82.9 QBR

Mitch:   67.0 comp.%, 16 TDs, 8 Ints, 93.5 QBR    (And a winning record for the season, btw.)

If you can come up with a coherent argument for how Trubisky is not the second best QB in the division, let's hear it.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I couldn't find the stats for 2020, but in the '18, and '19 seasons, he had the third lowest checkdown rate in the league, after Mahome (2nd), and Allen (1st).

Tyrod Taylor had an 8.0 ypa in his first season as a Bill.........that is higher than Josh Allen had(7.9) in a season where he finished second in the MVP voting.

Taylor regressed as the pressure to perform increased and he tried to play mistake free football.

Plays like this will get you the rep for checking it down:

https://www.12up.com/posts/video-mitchell-trubisky-actually-threw-a-checkdown-on-4th-and-23-vs-the-chiefs-01dwremcg5sn