A Second String Bills Team

This probably isn't worth its own thread, but I've been discussing with friends who are fans of other teams how important depth is to a team, and how this will be especially important with the upcoming 17 game season. This Bills team is deeper than any one I can remember, and I suspect its depth stacks up to maybe any other team in the league. 

So, I thought it would be an interesting exercise during this slow offseason, to look at what a Bills team would look like, made up entirely of depth players. Some of you may take issue with some the players I've got as second string-- which is fine. I'm interested in the discussion. The competition for depth on this team is fierce. And also, several of these players are in the conversation for starting positions, and certainly, some of them will be starters come September. Anyone who has a different opinion of what the Bills second string would currently look like, I want to hear it. But-- prove me wrong-- such a Bills team would be in serious contention for the AFCE. Not favored, perhaps... but not the Jets, either.

OFFENSE:

QB: Mitch Trubisky

RT: Ryan Bates

RG: Forrest Lamp

C : Jon Feliciano

LG: Ike Boettger

LT: Spenser Brown

WR#1: Gabriel Davis

WR#2: Jake Kumerow or Duke Williams

WR#2: Isaiah McKenzie

TE: Jacob Hollister

RB: Singletary or Moss or Breida (It could be any one of them!)

DEFENSE:

DE: Efe Obada

DT: Harrison Phillips

DT: Justin Zimmer

DE: Greg Rousseau

LB: AJ Klein

LB: Tyrel Dodson

S: Jaquan Johnson

S: Damar Hamlin

CB: Dane Jackson

CB: Rachad Wildgoose

NCB: Siran Neal

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Will team B I do not think the Bills go with 2 LBs.  They go with 2 LBs now because both have so much range.

I was thinking the same thing, at first, but then I remembered how well Siran Neal plays nickel. I thought about moving him to safety, also (where he was drafted, iirc). But, as he is listed as CB, I thought I'd keep him there. I also think LB is one of our thinnest positions, after Klein.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

This looks like a roster from the Dick Jauron years.

To be fair, though, Mitch Trubisky had the third lowest check down rate from '18-'19 (I can't find the check down stats for '20). He ain't no Trent Edwards! (Allen had the lowest check down rate, btw.)

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was thinking the same thing, at first, but then I remembered how well Siran Neal plays nickel. I thought about moving him to safety, also (where he was drafted, iirc). But, as he is listed as CB, I thought I'd keep him there. I also think LB is one of our thinnest positions, after Klein.

Klein does not have range so a 4-3 or 3-4 defense is best for him.  In a 4-2 it does not play to his strength and it took him a lot of time to adapt last year although one he (and Leslie) adapted he played well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Klein does not have range so a 4-3 or 3-4 defense is best for him.  In a 4-2 it does not play to his strength and it took him a lot of time to adapt last year although one he (and Leslie) adapted he played well.

There was a game, midseason (I can't remember which game it was-- maybe you do) where it looked like Klein just flipped a switch to a much higher level, and he sustained it for the rest of the season. I wish I could remember which game it was.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

There was a game, midseason (I can't remember which game it was-- maybe you do) where it looked like Klein just flipped a switch to a much higher level, and he sustained it for the rest of the season. I wish I could remember which game it was.

I was watching with a friend and we were at a sports bar which had multiple games on and every time there was a play he missed he'd ask me who made it and I said "Klein".  He did not believe me at first for he had been bitching about him

Bills linebacker A.J. Klein has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week after his performance against the Chargers in Week 12. Klein posted a career-high 14 total tackles, which also led the team. The linebacker also racked up 1.5 sacks, three tackles for loss and one pass breakup against Los Angeles.

Two hits of QB Justin Herbert as well.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/a-j-klein-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week-week-12-2020

EoUOCsyXMAA15Wu?format=jpg&name=small

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

This probably isn't worth its own thread, but I've been discussing with friends who are fans of other teams how important depth is to a team, and how this will be especially important with the upcoming 17 game season. This Bills team is deeper than any one I can remember, and I suspect its depth stacks up to maybe any other team in the league. 

So, I thought it would be an interesting exercise during this slow offseason, to look at what a Bills team would look like, made up entirely of depth players. Some of you may take issue with some the players I've got as second string-- which is fine. I'm interested in the discussion. The competition for depth on this team is fierce. And also, several of these players are in the conversation for starting positions, and certainly, some of them will be starters come September. Anyone who has a different opinion of what the Bills second string would currently look like, I want to hear it. But-- prove me wrong-- such a Bills team would be in serious contention for the AFCE. Not favored, perhaps... but not the Jets, either.

OFFENSE:

QB: Mitch Trubisky

RT: Ryan Bates

RG: Forrest Lamp

C : Jon Feliciano

LG: Ike Boettger

LT: Spenser Brown

WR#1: Gabriel Davis

WR#2: Jake Kumerow or Duke Williams

WR#2: Isaiah McKenzie

TE: Jacob Hollister

RB: Singletary or Moss or Breida (It could be any one of them!)

DEFENSE:

DE: Efe Obada

DT: Harrison Phillips

DT: Justin Zimmer

DE: Greg Rousseau

LB: AJ Klein

LB: Tyrel Dodson

S: Jaquan Johnson

S: Damar Hamlin

CB: Dane Jackson

CB: Rachad Wildgoose

NCB: Siran Neal

The Bills depth is excellent.........but most of those dudes are JAG's and rookies.........you win with difference makers.

That would be a top 5 drafting team........even the Jauron teams had *some* stars.    

Rookie Spencer Brown.....who hasn't played in a game since 2019.....at LT in an NFL game?    Who would be playing QB in week 2?:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

To be honest, the Bills were not much more talented Allen's rookie year. I'd say they were even worse than that list on offense.

So I'd say that team could win a solid 5 or 6 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

To be honest, the Bills were not much more talented Allen's rookie year. I'd say they were even worse than that list on offense.

I was actually about to post something very similar,,,,,,was going to say that anyone on this "2nd string Bills" that's listed would be way better than what Josh had to work with his rookie year.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Thats a 2 win roster at best.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1