Slot Recievers - McKenzie / Cole

35 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Cole may be cut because of his refusal to abide by non vaccinated covid protocols. 

If he submits to the protocols he will be on the team. If not we have to move forward with the players we have.

He will not be cut, NFLPA will whine and stomp their feet too much.

He will be fined and if he continues to repeat then NFL will react with commissioner's list suspension likely.

If he is going to get NFL welfare paid by team I could see a lot of players doing it to get a free paid vacation.

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Amen! 100% on target. I don't want to turn this into a political post (there are more appropriate venues for that) - but a member of the media, who makes a living off of airing out his opinions on matters, who would denigrate someone else solely for speaking out about his beliefs angers me. Apparently freely speaking out is something that is "good for me, but not good for thee" to a guy like this. Disgusting. 

I think the writer just ran with an angle on a story during a time where there are few to be had.  I doubt it was more than that as it didn’t seem like he had any recent or inside information.  But to his point, teams do not want big distractions and few players are worth that.  Beasley is a very good player and I’d hate to lose him, but he isn’t good enough to warrant the kind of distraction we would see if he refuses to abide by the rules.  He blew his lid on social media, but I think now he probably has cooled down and he will abide by whichever set of rules he chooses.  But if he doesn’t, then that would be a real problem for the team and I don’t see any other real option than the Bills parting ways with him.  But again, I don’t think it will come to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

This is absolutely insane and solely fueled by this writer not liking Cole's stances on certain things.

How did we go from McKenzie being on the bubble to him supplanting the best slot WR in the NFL? It's madness.

Didn’t McKenzie score seven TDs last season? that kind of production is not on the bubble, just sayin,  also not saying he is Beasley either, but the guy scores points.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Emmanuel Sanders' former coach, June Jones, told Matt Fairburn that Sanders could be a gem in the slot:

"When I spoke to June Jones, who coached Sanders and Cole Beasley at SMU, after the Bills signed Sanders, he didn’t think the boundary was necessarily the best spot for Sanders.

'I think he and Cole both in the slots could be the real diamond,' Jones said."

https://theathletic.com/2647118/2021/07/08/bills-training-camp-positional-preview-finding-the-right-mix-of-wrs-to-keep-the-passing-game-elite?source=user-shared-article

I think that was the play more than replacing brown.  It was moving davis to the boundary and having 2 challenging slot receivers on the field at once.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never thought McKenzie was on the bubble. 

I think of McKenzie as on the bubble every season.  He has stuck, year after year, with his versatility - punt returner, slot receiver, jet sweep guy.  That's made him valuable.   But at receiver and punt returner, he has never been able to become the starter.   

I look at Stevenson as a serious threat to McKenzie.    He has speed, punt returning experience.   His downside is that he has to show a lot of ability right out of the box for McDermott to trust him as a rookie.  But McDermott showed that confidence in Bass last season.  

Now, maybe Beasley will be gone, for a collection of reasons, and McKenzie's experience may say him.   But if Stevenson can return punts and run jet sweeps, Sanders can play the slot and Davis (and maybe Hodgins) can cover the #2 wideout spot, McKenzie's utility is less valuable.  

No one's spot on the roster is guaranteed.   It's all about competition.  McKenzie likely will find himself in a battle. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think that was the play more than replacing brown.  It was moving davis to the boundary and having 2 challenging slot receivers on the field at once.

This right here^^^

This will be our version of two TE sets, so to speak, GD will take JB’s spot, teams know damn well that if they don’t cover Davis he can catch and score a bunch of TDs over a season, so with Diggs, Davis Beasley and Sanders, with a sprinkling of McKenzie and Hodgins (sp) we have a really potent receiver group, it truly is a pick your poison situation for defenses.

Go w!!!

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think of McKenzie as on the bubble every season.  He has stuck, year after year, with his versatility - punt returner, slot receiver, jet sweep guy.  That's made him valuable.   But at receiver and punt returner, he has never been able to become the starter.   

I look at Stevenson as a serious threat to McKenzie.    He has speed, punt returning experience.   His downside is that he has to show a lot of ability right out of the box for McDermott to trust him as a rookie.  But McDermott showed that confidence in Bass last season.  

Now, maybe Beasley will be gone, for a collection of reasons, and McKenzie's experience may say him.   But if Stevenson can return punts and run jet sweeps, Sanders can play the slot and Davis (and maybe Hodgins) can cover the #2 wideout spot, McKenzie's utility is less valuable.  

No one's spot on the roster is guaranteed.   It's all about competition.  McKenzie likely will find himself in a battle. 

McKenzie in a way is like our current #2 CB, always in competition for his job, and always winning the position, I would not count him out, as it were.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

McKenzie, if healthy, will be on this roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This right here^^^

This will be our version of two TE sets, so to speak, GD will take JB’s spot, teams know damn well that if they don’t cover Davis he can catch and score a bunch of TDs over a season, so with Diggs, Davis Beasley and Sanders, with a sprinkling of McKenzie and Hodgins (sp) we have a really potent receiver group, it truly is a pick your poison situation for defenses.

Go w!!!

McKenzie in a way is like our current #2 CB, always in competition for his job, and always winning the position, I would not count him out, as it were.

Go Bills!!!

Mckenzie is slot depth and primary returner (you have hyde as punt catcher - and depth KR would probably be Breida), hodgins is likely outside depth.  Stevenson maybe on PS with kumerow/duke/gentry as probably the other one on the PS.  

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He will not be cut, NFLPA will whine and stomp their feet too much.

He will be fined and if he continues to repeat then NFL will react with commissioner's list suspension likely.

If he is going to get NFL welfare paid by team I could see a lot of players doing it to get a free paid vacation.

uuuhh...wut?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

This is absolutely insane and solely fueled by this writer not liking Cole's stances on certain things.

How did we go from McKenzie being on the bubble to him supplanting the best slot WR in the NFL? It's madness.

Agree 100 Boxcar.  I read the article yesterday and was dumfounded.  Beasley has had two great years for us.  The guy is almost uncoverable in the slot.  He is not going anywhere.  Skurski comes off as an amateur marginal reporter.  I long for the days of Allen Wilson (RIP) Bucky, Sully and Gaughn (when he was the lead reporter).

• Like (+1) 1

I don't care about Beasley's politics and vacination status, what I care about is that he is one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. Pretty much Allen's version of Julian Edelman and there's no way we are cutting/trading him in the midst of an expected run at a championship without alienating pretty much the entire lockeroom.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Didn’t McKenzie score seven TDs last season? that kind of production is not on the bubble, just sayin,  also not saying he is Beasley either, but the guy scores points.

Yeah McKenzie broke out last season some and was great. Not sure if play calling or the other big threat WR's helped more. Probably other WR's opening it up since last 2 or 3 years he was quiet.  But Daboll did make many good play calls getting him the ball and some space.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Beasley is unique and tremendous asset on the field.  I assume he will just get vaccinated or submit to the testing.  But he did mention he may just retire right?  In that case the decision gets made for the Bills

Yea him retiring is the most likely way he doesn't play for the Bills this year. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea him retiring is the most likely way he doesn't play for the Bills this year. 

And to be honest, I really don't see that happening. Imo he was just in one of those moments that ppl vent out their frustrations sometimes. That's what I believe it was.

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

And to be honest, I really don't see that happening. Imo he was just in one of those moments that ppl vent out their frustrations sometimes. That's what I believe it was.

I do think he has backed himself into a corner somewhat. Will be interesting to see what happens.